Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Abyss

Van Ling

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 of 139 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted September 30 2010 - 06:02 PM

I was about to share this on Facebook when I realized it is way too nerdy to explain why this is great news.

So I'll just say it here: This is great news!

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#122 of 139 OFFLINE   Valaquen

Valaquen

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 03 2010 - 04:24 PM

The Abyss on blu will be a first day buy. It's Cameron's most under-rated movie; the SE is simply fantastic. I'm hoping for a new commentary - Cameron, Harris, Biehn, etc.

#123 of 139 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 599 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 06:29 AM

I hope that the new transfer of THE ABYSS will also be released in standard def, for those of us who don't have Blu Ray.  So far, we haven't even had an anamorphic transfer of the film.

#124 of 139 OFFLINE   Valaquen

Valaquen

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 09:06 PM

Apparently The Abyss is not being worked on. There is a HD transfer from 2005 that is awaiting JC's approval, but otherwise, nada going on. Yet. Posted Image

#125 of 139 OFFLINE   Ashd121

Ashd121

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jobla 

I hope that the new transfer of THE ABYSS will also be released in standard def, for those of us who don't have Blu Ray.  So far, we haven't even had an anamorphic transfer of the film.

Hello,

There is a new edition available in China from Excel Media (region 6 DVD9) with the following details :

ntsc extended cut, DTS 6.1, DD EX 6.1, 16:9 anamorphic widescreen

Also available is True Lies (same company), same details.

I bought these 2 titles for around $10 each.  Nice picture and sound quality.

Ash

#126 of 139 OFFLINE   teamneedle

teamneedle

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 18 2011 - 06:43 PM

this is a great site~ I love it- I really hope some news comes out about The Abyss- I also hope that someone called Van to be part of the Blu-ray production-

#127 of 139 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 19 2011 - 01:52 AM

The Abyss is very high on my most-wanted list of Blu-ray upgrades but Cameron is so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow in putting it out, it's ridiculous. There's gotta be a good hi-def master lying around by now. I'll be retired by the time this comes out. I think he secretly owns Grindhouse Releasing, an outfit that releases one movie every five years.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#128 of 139 OFFLINE   teamneedle

teamneedle

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 22 2011 - 02:02 PM

Its like Van said elsewhere on this site, the Master VIn was waiting for approval on was done in 2005- Cameron has said he wanted to go back and use the same process to remaster the abyss that he used on aliens- i would guess we still have some time to wait.

#129 of 139 OFFLINE   Bernhard

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 08:51 AM

Sooo, quite a bit of time has passed since the last update - any news on the Abyss Blu-ray? I had the desire of watching this great movie recently only to be reminded that the only way for me to do this right now would be to torture my eyes with the non-anamorphic (!) DVD. No way! Only three requests for the BD: Great Sound&Picture - Special Edition! - Under Pressure doc. Please? :)
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#130 of 139 ONLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 23 2012 - 09:03 AM

The last I heard about it was a week or so ago on The Digital Bits (here - scroll down, the pertinent info is a couple paragraphs above the cover art images).

Looks like signs point to sometime within the next year, but Cameron is busy visiting the bottom of the ocean, so...

Both titles can't get here some soon enough, if you ask me.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#131 of 139 OFFLINE   Ken N.

Ken N.

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 03:58 AM

And in other news, this would normally go in The Rumor Mill, but it's easier to just post it here: We've been checking with our industry sources and have confirmed that 20th Century Fox is definitely planning to bring director James Cameron's The Abyss and True Lies to Blu-ray at long last. Sources tell us that the hope is to do a big promotion with the titles sometime next year. Why the wait? Cameron is a pretty busy guy these days, so these things take time. (Hey, when was the last time you tried diving to the deepest point in the ocean?) Nevertheless, rest assured that the two long-awaited films are definitely coming to Blu in the not-too-distant future.

Here's the excerpt from the Digital Bits, great news if it proves to be true. For both films, at this point I'd prefer waiting a little longer if it means Cameron will be involved in the Blu-ray.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26 :: XBOX Live Gamertag - Kenshiro 26 :: Steam Username - Kenshiro_26 :: Origin ID - Kenshiro26

#132 of 139 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 23 2012 - 04:31 AM

I revisited The Abyss over the weekend after getting a strange sudden urge to watch something epic and exciting. It seems to get better with each viewing - what a phenomenal film! The writing, characters, dialogue, all top notch. Did I mention how exciting the film is? The only problem was the transfer. This film is going to benefit big-time from a hi-def upgrade. The whole time watching the film all I could think of was, "wouldn't this look great on Blu-ray?". The DVD was fine for it's time but that old disc is a dinosaur by today's standards. My hope is that Cameron will decide that the film needs a NEW, fresh transfer, not use something from 2005. I can only imagine a film like this would require a ton of work, dealing with alternate cuts, the length of the film, etc., which is what I believe is the main reason holding up a re-release.

#133 of 139 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 04:29 PM

I revisited The Abyss over the weekend after getting a strange sudden urge to watch something epic and exciting. It seems to get better with each viewing - what a phenomenal film! The writing, characters, dialogue, all top notch.

Ditto to all your comments, especially if you're referring to the longer "director's cut". This film came out at a very rough period in my life and easily makes my top five favorites list. I guess in someways Cameron is my Hitchcock of today, I really enjoy most of his films. Together they make up most of my top 10-15 list of films. Have read a lot on this needing a new transfer, but I'm still a little old school and still have a standard 36" CRT and this looks wonderful. Just as I'm ready for some HDTV equipment, the budget keeps being trashed by other higher priority items, but hopefully by the end of the year I'll be there. Sadly it sounds like this won't look very good, so will hold onto some of my older equipment.
Stan

#134 of 139 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:20 PM

Fox France just issued their list of forthcoming releases for 2013, and it includes provisional art for The Abyss, that I just posted in the french section. Enjoy it here !

#135 of 139 ONLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted November 28 2012 - 01:05 AM

At last!

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#136 of 139 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 28 2012 - 01:38 AM

Ditto to all your comments, especially if you're referring to the longer "director's cut". This film came out at a very rough period in my life and easily makes my top five favorites list. I guess in someways Cameron is my Hitchcock of today, I really enjoy most of his films. Together they make up most of my top 10-15 list of films. Have read a lot on this needing a new transfer, but I'm still a little old school and still have a standard 36" CRT and this looks wonderful. Just as I'm ready for some HDTV equipment, the budget keeps being trashed by other higher priority items, but hopefully by the end of the year I'll be there. Sadly it sounds like this won't look very good, so will hold onto some of my older equipment.

On an old CRT is about the only way to watch the non-anamorphic ABYSS DVD, sadly. I wish I still had one so that I could watch some of my older discs without cringing. But, alas, there's a sliver of hope that the film will finally be reissued in high-def "in the near future" although I've heard 2014 thrown in as well. The sooner, the better.

#137 of 139 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted November 28 2012 - 03:42 AM

As said above, it out in 2013 in Europe. 2014 might be the US release, but europe definetely gets it next year. The art is two posts above for those who just caught this thread.

You have several ways to "avoid" watching the old DVD with the LD master in the meantime, there is the 4/3 "full screen" director's cut on R1 DVD from Fox, and there was several HDTV airings in japan of what looked like to be the rejected 16/9 master (some people dismissed it as an upscale, but comparisons revealed it wasn't as the framing was different in many shots and there was definitive clear detail in the shots that was absent from the old master). Take a look

#138 of 139 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:43 PM

As said above, it out in 2013 in Europe. 2014 might be the US release, but europe definetely gets it next year. The art is two posts above for those who just caught this thread. You have several ways to "avoid" watching the old DVD with the LD master in the meantime, there is the 4/3 "full screen" director's cut on R1 DVD from Fox, and there was several HDTV airings in japan of what looked like to be the rejected 16/9 master (some people dismissed it as an upscale, but comparisons revealed it wasn't as the framing was different in many shots and there was definitive clear detail in the shots that was absent from the old master). Take a look http://www.hometheat...t/1000/flags/LL

thanks for sharing the info. Any thoughts if the overseas will be locked in B? or be region free? I own the region 1 full screen and also the other version. also the australia region 4 version as well. Jacob

#139 of 139 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted December 03 2012 - 07:59 PM

I have no idea, all that was in the Fox catalog were the provisional sleeves. No more info.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Van Ling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)