Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on OLED?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Chiefmfg

Chiefmfg

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hi all, I'm very intrigued by the new organic LED (OLED) flat screen technology. The picture looks pretty amazing and the screens are incredibly thin, but I was wondering what other people thought about it. Is this really the next big thing in flat panel TVs?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted July 23 2008 - 10:11 AM

Greetings

About the next big thing as plasma was 10 years ago. Flat TV ... nice ... $20000 ... not so nice.

11 inches ... looks nice ... $2500 price tag ... not so nice. A 27" one in the $10K range ... it's plasma all over again. Posted Image

Perhaps in 5 years, the stuff will get down to a point where people seriously look at it. And don't forget it's weaknesses right now too. Relatively short life span compared to LCD and Plasma. About 25% as long. Also has burn in issues so in many ways behaves like a plasma.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 12:59 PM

Michael TLV - have you seen one of the FET displays? I'm curious about what your opinion is from your perspective.. (I saw one at NAB this April, and heard that they had also been at.... HPA? Or was it SigGraph?) Leo

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   cmstn

cmstn

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 08:42 PM

The CES 2012 show was dominated by the Organic Light Emitting Diode TV (oled). It showed promise by LG and Samsung to really take hold this year. Just as you said "the picture quality is great", It really is. Because it's made of organic material (live), it previously had a life span of about 5 years. I'm not sure if they have made this better but, most people get a new TV by then anyway. Nothing today compares to the picture quality, and again, at the CES show, it dominated the crowds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users