Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ghostbusters 1 & 2 - likely this Fall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 23 2008 - 02:03 AM

Early news from Comic Con:

Link

Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 03:07 AM

That would be AWESOME Brandon...

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 03:22 AM

FWIW, a couple rumor sites have been listing this one as coming to Blu-ray. I'm currently hearing October 21.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 23 2008 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
FWIW, a couple rumor sites have been listing this one as coming to Blu-ray. I'm currently hearing October 21.
That's what I heard, but I want to wait until something officially is posted before updating our release schedule.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 04:44 AM

Previous rumors alluded to the fact that Ghostbusters 2 would only be available as part of a box set. If that's true, I'm not sure I really care either way. If the box set is cheap enough, I will buy it. Otherwise, I'll just pick up the original.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 05:02 AM

For what it's worth: Amazon.de already has a preorder listing for the German set:

Amazon.de: Ghostbusters 1+2 [Blu-ray]: Dan Aykroyd, Rick Moranis, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Sigourney Weaver, Ivan Reitman: DVD

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
'Ghostbusters' fans attending Comic-Con this weekend could get a sneak peek at an apparently October-bound Blu-ray release of the '80s comedy classics.

According to various fan and website reports coming in from Comic-Con (which officially kicks off tomorrow in San Diego), a Sony Blu-ray booth on the show floor is currently touting an October 21 Blu-ray street date for both 'Ghostbusters' and 'Ghostbusters 2,' complete with a large overhead banner advertisement (featuring the tagline "Get Slimed in High-Def!")
Sony Previews 'Ghostbusters' Blu-ray Plans at Comic-Con | High-Def Digest

One caveat (for me) is that at least one SPHE insider has mentioned that "Ghostbusters" does not look very good. Whether the source is so bad that there's nothing to be done, or if it's a bad master (and, if so, whether they've bothered to restore/remaster it) isn't clear, but for right now I'm not expecting much, at least from the first movie.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
One caveat (for me) is that at least one SPHE insider has mentioned that "Ghostbusters" does not look very good. Whether the source is so bad that there's nothing to be done, or if it's a bad master (and, if so, whether they've bothered to restore/remaster it) isn't clear, but for right now I'm not expecting much, at least from the first movie.

That's a shame. I remember there being a lot of controversy about the last transfer done of Ghostbusters. If it disappoints, I'd say odds are better that a bad master is to blame rather than nothing can be done about it.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 23 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ghostbusters is not a beautiful film. I saw it in 70mm four years ago and the blow-up had grain the size of golfballs.

I don't see why this film would need to be restored, as I assume it would be shot on low-fade stock.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 23 2008 - 12:54 PM

The only thing I recall about the DVD release of Ghostbusters is that Richard Edlund was called in to complete effects work that was left unfinished when it was released theatrically. Now, if that was done via CG at SD resolution, some work may have to be redone, but as was previously stated, Ghostbusters is not going to be reference material on BD.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
The only thing I recall about the DVD release of Ghostbusters is that Richard Edlund was called in to complete effects work that was left unfinished when it was released theatrically. Now, if that was done via CG at SD resolution, some work may have to be redone, but as was previously stated, Ghostbusters is not going to be reference material on BD.

I'm not sure what it is you're recalling, but you're at least somewhat confused. Ghostbusters (neither of them) has never had any CGI tinkering, updating, or alternate cuts (short of the TV edit).

The first DVD looked pretty damn good, but it had a lot of DNR. The second release was better in many ways but the color timing, though more accurate, was rather drab and the brights were blown out. There was also some really sloppy color correction done to it.

Ghostbusters on Blu could theoretically look fantastic, but Sony hasn't every really put that much money into it.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 02:20 PM

Why do they still refer to the second film as Ghostbusters 2? It's "II." Sorry, just a pet peeve. Posted Image

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
I'm not sure what it is you're recalling, but you're at least somewhat confused. Ghostbusters (neither of them) has never had any CGI tinkering, updating, or alternate cuts (short of the TV edit).

Actually, I daresay you are the one in error--it was, in fact, publicized at the time of its release that the most recent DVD of GHOSTBUSTERS features final completion work on some elements of the visual effects. I, too, am not exactly sure what visuals were refined, or by what manner (CGI or otherwise), but refinement was done.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
Actually, I daresay you are the one in error--it was, in fact, publicized at the time of its release that the most recent DVD of GHOSTBUSTERS features final completion work on some elements of the visual effects. I, too, am not exactly sure what visuals were refined, or by what manner (CGI or otherwise), but refinement was done.

That would be that sloppy color correction I spoke of. You can see it most noticeably on Slimer, there were a few times where the color (just blobs of green overlayed on the image) would remain after a cut or wouldn't keep up with the character-- just leaving a blob of green in the frame.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 04:32 PM

I do remember the most recent dvd issues of Ghostbusters being a bit controversial....some color issues and some blown out whites indeed.

Hopefully some of this will be corrected for the Blu-ray. Ghostbusters is a classic action comedy film that really does deserve the best treatment. I'm all for waiting a little longer if it would give Sony more time to do it justice.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 11:50 PM

Ghostbusters never really looked great in any video format but I'll be getting this without a doubt. Unless it's a total botch job which I don't expect they'd let happen.
Death before Streaming!

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 12:23 AM

I hope they port over all of the extras from the other releases however, I can live without the 2 episodes of the cartoon series from the last set. Those need their own season box set.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 12:37 AM

DNR must die.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 01:08 AM

The newer HD transfer has less detail than the older HD transfer because of an error in the whites. Detail is just completely missing. There are screen shot comparisons all over the internet.
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   David (C)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 09:27 AM

If SPHE were to spring for a brand new transfer of the first movie is there a chance they'd release it to SD DVD?

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow