-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: JFK Ultimate Collector's Edition (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,292 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 01:34 AM

Intriguing. Provocative. Powerful.

Oliver Stone’s JFK
ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Three-Disc UCE Features New Documentary
The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings
Also Debuting in Blu-ray™ Hi-Def with
Premium Hardcover Book Packaging
Available November 11 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif.- July 21, 2008 – The controversial highly-charged story surrounding John F. Kennedy’s assassination is revisited with the November 11 release of Oliver Stone’s JFK as a Three-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition from Warner Home Video. The UCE will feature The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings, an extraordinary new documentary from filmmaker Robert Kline based on Thomas Maier’s acclaimed book about five generations of the renowned political family. Unique to the documentary is political and private footage of the Kennedys not widely available to the general public. The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings documentary will be premiered on November 10th at Boston College and also screened on November 12th at Fordham University/Lincoln Center. Both universities have the largest Irish studies programs in the country.

The JFK Three-Disc UCE includes the Two-Disc Special Edition Director’s Cut with 17 additional minutes not seen in theaters and the documentary Beyond JFK: A Question of Conspiracy. It also contains memorabilia from the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Kennedy Foundation, including reproductions of Kennedy family and presidential photos, letters written by or to John F. Kennedy from J. Edgar Hoover, Lyndon. B. Johnson and more. The UCE also will include a Kennedy campaign button from the National Archives and Records Administration. Of particular distinction is the inclusion of John F. Kennedy’s historic inaugural address and a handwritten letter to his father, Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr.

In addition, the set features a collectible booklet containing production photos and photo cards showcasing the actors in character with a mini bio of their character. Additionally, the film will be making its Blu-ray™ Hi-Def debut as the JFK Blu-ray™ Hi-Def, featuring premium hardcover book packaging with press material and photographs from the film.

Oliver Stone’s powerful film about the mystery surrounding the Kennedy assassination is one of the most provocative movies of our time. Aside from its box-office success and critical acclaim, it was nominated for eight Academy Awards® (including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Supporting Actor), winning two (Best Cinematography and Film Editing). The film also won a Best Director (Motion Picture) Golden Globe® for Stone. Finally, JFK played a major role in the national debate leading to passage of the 1992 Assassination Materials Disclosure Act.

Stone directed from a screenplay that he wrote with Zachary Sklar. The all-star cast includes Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Bacon, Gary Oldman, Jack Lemmon, Laurie Metcalf, Sissy Spacek, Joe Pesci, John Candy, Walter Matthau, Sally Kirkland, Donald Sutherland and Edward Asner.

The JFK Ultimate Collector’s Edition will sell for $39.98 SRP; the JFK Blu-ray™ Hi-Def for $34.99 SRP and The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings, available separately, for $19.97 SRP.

Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Enhanced Content (in standard definition)
Behind the Story
Commentary by Director Oliver Stone
Beyond JFK: The Question of Conspiracy
Multimedia Essays
Assassination Update – The New Documents
Meet Mr. X: The Personality and Thoughts of Fletcher Prouty
Deleted/extended scenes with commentary by director Oliver Stone (production audio only)
Jack Ruby Injected with Cancer
Jim Garrison and Dean Andrews – Extended
Jim Garrison and Liz Garrison at Home
Jim Garrison and Colorado Businessman
Beverly Oliver Interview – Extended
Jean Hill Interview – Extended
Jim Garrison in the Book Depository
Antoine’s Restaurant – Oswald Information – Extended
Clay Shaw Trial 1 – Oswald Information – Extended
Clay Shaw Trial 2 – Oswald Information – Extended
Fantasy Sequence – Oswald from the Grave
Alternate Ending
Theatrical trailer

About The Documentary
The Kennedys: America's Emerald Kings is an American saga about the Irish Catholic experience. It encompasses five generations of the Kennedys’ and Fitzgeralds' lives -- starting from 1848 in Wexford, Ireland and ending in 21st-century America. The film was adapted from Thomas Maier's highly acclaimed book The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings[1] from Basic Books, re-released in July 2008. The documentary provides a look at both the family’s tragedies of poverty and political oppression and their successes and the triumphs of the White House years. It embodies the most complete work on this Irish American family and their unique place in American history and culture.

JFK ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
$39.98 SRP

JFK BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF
$34.99 SRP

Feature Run Time: 155 minutes -- Rated: R
16x9 Letter Box
THE KENNEDYS: AMERICA’S EMERALD KINGS
$19.97 SRP
Run Time: 128 minutes

Also available
JFK: Special Edition Director’s Cut
$26.99 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 02:03 AM

Probably my favorite Oliver Stone film in terms of repeat viewing. The third act is the best courtroom drama ever put on film. My collector's edition laserdisc box is forced into retirement...

Excellent! Thanks, Ron.
I don't like SPAM!

#3 of 21 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,704 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 21 2008 - 04:10 AM

sounds great! I never bought this one for myself other then the version in the Stone boxset.

#4 of 21 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 07:19 AM

Great news. One of my favourite movies of all time. Posted Image

#5 of 21 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 11:48 PM

JFK will be mine!
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 21 Jonathon M

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 11:57 PM

And we don't get the new doco on BD. not even as a bonus SD DVD disc...

What bullshit.

Is anyone else hating the BD book things? Great content, but you lose the nice little bonuses like the campaign pin, and the new doco...

I'd love it if for these new CE's that Warners are putting out, if they would do like they did for Blade Runner; same package, different discs.

#7 of 21 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon M

What bullshit.

Is anyone else hating the BD book things? Great content, but you lose the nice little bonuses like the campaign pin, and the new doco...

I'd love it if for these new CE's that Warners are putting out, if they would do like they did for Blade Runner; same package, different discs.

Agreed. And although I know the "movie should be the most important thing," I won't be purchasing this release on BD because of the missing bonuses. There's really no excuse other than laziness. Sorry, no sale.

#8 of 21 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon M

What bullshit.
Posted Image

The release says "The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings, available separately, for $19.97 SRP."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dial
Agreed. And although I know the "movie should be the most important thing," I won't be purchasing this release on BD because of the missing bonuses. There's really no excuse other than laziness. Sorry, no sale.
Again, it's not as if you can't get the documentary. The release comes with a whole bunch of stuff, apparently including Blu-ray exclusives.

If there was no way for you to get the new documentary, I'd understand, but in this case you're getting the movie in 1080p and lossless, and after you drop the $5 in price differential between the UCE and the BD plus another 30% that Amazon will discount the disc, you'll have all the extras for only $10 more.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#9 of 21 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
Posted Image

The release says "The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings, available separately, for $19.97 SRP."
Again, it's not as if you can't get the documentary. The release comes with a whole bunch of stuff, apparently including Blu-ray exclusives.

If there was no way for you to get the new documentary, I'd understand, but in this case you're getting the movie in 1080p and lossless, and after you drop the $5 in price differential between the UCE and the BD plus another 30% that Amazon will discount the disc, you'll have all the extras for only $10 more.

It was my understanding that the standard release will come with packaging bonuses such as the "press material and photographs from the film," while the BD release will have none of these. If I misread or misunderstood this comment, and indeed the BD'd "hardcover packaging" will contain ALL the physical bonuses from the SD release (like the photos and campaign button), then it's my mistake, and I will alter my original post.

However, if I indeed read correctly, and the BD version will have only the hardcover packaging, but none of the other SD release's bonuses, then I won't be buying. I know these things mean very little to most, and there are many who would question someone who would give up a movie release over such petty things, but extras like that are one of the reasons I purchase, and not rent.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the BD release does indeed lack some extras, in the way of physical items such as photos, that the SD release has. To me, that means no sale.

cheers!

#10 of 21 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
It was my understanding that the standard release will come with packaging bonuses such as the "press material and photographs from the film," while the BD release will have none of these. If I misread or misunderstood this comment, and indeed the BD'd "hardcover packaging" will contain ALL the physical bonuses from the SD release (like the photos and campaign button), then it's my mistake, and I will alter my original post.
Ah, your original post just mentioned the bonuses, which I took to mean the on-disc bonuses.
Quote:
However, if I indeed read correctly, and the BD version will have only the hardcover packaging, but none of the other SD release's bonuses, then I won't be buying. I know these things mean very little to most, and there are many who would question someone who would give up a movie release over such petty things, but extras like that are one of the reasons I purchase, and not rent.
To each his own, I guess. Although it's possible Warner will release the "gift set" stuff with the BD as well, since they're doing that with other sets like "A Christmas Story".

For me, it's all about the movie and a little about the on-disc extras. To me, knick-knacks that I could get from the Kennedy Library gift shop shouldn't deter one from getting the movie itself at the highest quality and a decent price. I'm not planning on displaying photos that I could find somewhere else, and it's not as if Warner is somehow robbing the movie and extras of their value.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#11 of 21 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
However, if I indeed read correctly, and the BD version will have only the hardcover packaging, but none of the other SD release's bonuses, then I won't be buying.

Blu-ray has these following extras:

*Commentary by Director Oliver Stone
*Beyond JFK: The Question of Conspiracy
*Multimedia Essays
*Assassination Update – The New Documents
*Meet Mr. X: The Personality and Thoughts of Fletcher Prouty
*Deleted/extended scenes with commentary by director Oliver Stone (production audio only)
*Theatrical Trailer
+
*hardcover book packaging (with press material and photographs from the film)

Film: "Director’s Cut".
______

These are missing:

*"The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings"-documentary

*Memorabilia from the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Kennedy Foundation, including reproductions of Kennedy family and presidential photos, letters written by or to John F. Kennedy from J. Edgar Hoover, Lyndon. B. Johnson and more. The UCE also will include a Kennedy campaign button from the National Archives and Records Administration. Of particular distinction is the inclusion of John F. Kennedy’s historic inaugural address and a handwritten letter to his father, Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr.
_____

I guess the point is, that this new "The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings"-documentary is probably not made "for the DVD/Blu-ray", and it´s available separately.

This is a bit similar to e.g. 5-disc "The Battle for Iwo Jima - Commemorative Collector's Edition" DVD box set (inc. "Flags of Our Fathers", "Letters from Iwo Jima" & "Heroes of Iwo Jima (2001)"-documentary), where the "Heroes of Iwo Jima" wasn´t included in the Blu-ray/HD DVD.

Sure, don´t get me wrong, it´s a bit annoying that Blu-ray doesn´t have this documentary in the first place (I love history, so I probably have to get the doc), but it won´t stop me for seeing this awesome film in 1080p...

#12 of 21 Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 09:41 AM

Count me in the minority but I think this was the BEST film of '91 as far as I'm concerned and yes I'm including Silence Of The Lambs.

I will get this for sure.! The editing for this movie is phonemenal and Gary Oldman's take as Oswald was beyond uncanny!

"Frankly Mr Ferris I simply don't find your story credible"
"Really?? Which part??" Posted Image

#13 of 21 Jonathon M

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 07:29 PM

The disappointing aspect of this is that the successful release of Blade Runner is apparently the reason warners are looking at releasing these gift sets, but if they're going to do it, ffs do it right. Don't merely release the damn hardcover book versions instead of the gift sets with a BD.

#14 of 21 Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 12:08 AM

This is one of those movies that, if it’s on, I have to watch the rest of it. Not the best choice considering it’s near three and a half hours but it’s just so compulsively watchable.

However, there is an error in the Director’s Cut that I wish they’d fix but no one else seems to notice it so it’ll probably never happen.

When Jim Garrison and Lou Ivon are in the book depository, about an hour and fifteen minutes in, the scene has been extended in the Director’s Cut, revealing a big continuity error that wasn’t there in the theatrical cut.

At the end of the extended scene, Garrison says, “...our friend, Clay Shaw...” The problem is, while the name Clay Bertrand has been introduced, his alias of Clay Shaw has not. In the theatrical version, its introduced in the following scene with Michael Rooker talking with a source during Mardi Gras.

Originally in the script and as filmed, the scene in the book depository was to take place toward the last act of the movie - just before Rooker's character quits the investigation. In this case, it makes sense referring to Bertrand as Shaw. For the theatrical version, they moved that scene to earlier in the film and trimmed the tail of the scene so it ends after Garrison looks through the scope of the rifle, removing the Clay Shaw reference.

All they have to do is return the scene to the way it was in the theatrical version. Even if there wasn’t an error, I think the scene is much more effective ending that way.

I know I’m probably wasting my breath since this cut has been available for near 15 years and I’ve never seen it mentioned before but I really needed to get it off my chest. Oh and since I’m complaining, I’ll add that I think they should have included both cuts via seamless branching. They should be doing that for every movie has multiple cuts.

Whew. Feel much better now. Maybe I’ll find someone else who shares my pain and I won’t feel so alone anymore.

So alone...

#15 of 21 Chris_T

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 08:00 AM

I'll wait to see the reviews before deciding on whether to upgrade or not.

#16 of 21 Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 10:38 AM

I also wish they had included both cuts via seamless branching. I feel the extended cut is truly a lesser work, with the Johnny Carson appearance scene particularly overwrought to an embarassing degree.

#17 of 21 Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 09:18 AM

Sorry to bring up an "old" thread but does anyone know if JFK is getting uncompressed audio?
Lyxdesics of the lowrd untie!

#18 of 21 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 16 2008 - 10:49 AM

It has a TrueHD track.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#19 of 21 Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 04:16 PM

Thanks. Posted Image
Lyxdesics of the lowrd untie!

#20 of 21 RATLSNAKE

RATLSNAKE

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 02:27 PM

Has this been announced as available for Region 4? I want to get this from the US, but if they're going to release it in Australia, I'll wait for that.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow