-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MGM Press Release: Pumpinkhead: Collector's Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,332 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 08:39 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FOR EACH MAN’S EVIL
A SPECIAL DEMON EXISTS…

PUMPKINHEAD
COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Stan Winston’s Grim Fairy Tale Turns 20
With All-New Commentaries And Featurettes

Collector’s Edition DVD Arrives September 9 From MGM Home Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, CA – Cruel, devious and pure as venom, MGM Home Entertainment presents a terrifying tale from the mind of legendary Academy Awardâ* winning special effects artist Stan Winston (Iron Man, Aliens) when Pumpkinhead Collector’s Edition arrives on DVD September 9. The 20th anniversary celebration of late Stan Winston’s directorial debut stars Lance Henriksen (Aliens, “Millennium”) as Ed Harley, a storekeeper raising his young son in rural Nevada. When a group of inner-city bikers arrive in the small town on vacation, a tragic accident occurs leaving Harley’s child dead. Driven by a childhood demonic vision, he seeks the aid of a reclusive witch who conjures that same demon, Pumpkinhead, to kill those responsible for his son’s death. One by one Harley watches as the creature kills the wrongdoers and he quickly discovers that a horrific price must be paid. The Pumpkinhead Collector’s Edition DVD is loaded with all-new special features including commentary by co-screenwriter Gary Gerani and FX creators Tom Woodruff and Alec Gillis (Aliens vs. Predator-Requiem) and moderated by filmmaker Scott Spiegel (From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money), seven making-of featurettes, behind-the-scenes footage, a still gallery and more. Available for a suggested retail price of $19.98. U.S. / $21.98 Canada, prebook is August 13.

*1993; Best Visual Effects; Jurassic Park
1991; Best Visual Effects; Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1991; Best Makeup; Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1986; Best Visual Effects; Aliens

Pumpkinhead Collector’s Edition Synopsis

Carve into the core of one of the most “vivid, stylish, atmospheric” (The Hollywood Reporter) thrillers of all time! With commentary by co-screenwriter Gary Gerani and FX creators Tom Woodruff and Alec Gillis, and a pulpy behind-the-scenes featurette, you’ll learn how some of the diabolical effects were created, and you’ll even get inside the mind of the creators of this freakishly frightening film!

When a group of rambunctious teenagers inadvertently kill his only son, Ed Harley (Lance Henriksen) seeks the magic of a backwoods witch to bring the child back. But instead, she invokes "the pumpkinhead" -- a monstrously clawed and fanged demon which, once reborn, answers only to Ed's bloodlust. But as the invincible creature wreaks its slow, unspeakable tortures on the teens, Ed confronts a horrifying secret about his connection to the beast -- and realizes that he must find a way to stop its deadly mission before he becomes one with it forever!

Pumpkinhead Collector’s Edition Special Features

· Commentary by co-screenwriter Gary Gerani and creature and FX creators Tom Woodruff, Jr. and Alec Gillis; moderated by filmmaker Scott Spiegel
· All-new featurettes
o Pumpkinhead Unearthed
o Evolution of a Demon
o The Cursed and the Damned
o The Tortured Soul of Ed Harley
o Constructing Vengeance
o Razorback Holler
o Demonic Toys
· Behind-The-Scenes Footage
· Still Gallery

Pumpkinhead Collector’s Edition
DVD Price: $19.98 U.S. / $21.98 Canada
Order Due Date: August 13, 2008
Street Date: September 9, 2008
Catalog Number: M111495
Total Run Time: 86 minutes
Rating: R
Screen Format: Widescreen
Audio Features: English Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English/French/Spanish
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 Robert Fielder

Robert Fielder

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 07:08 AM

Nice to finally get a widescreen R1 release.

#3 of 16 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 05:29 AM

Never heard of this one before.

I'll get it anyway
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 16 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
Never heard of this one before.

I'll get it anyway
Yes, and there's also been 3 sequels. Pumpkinhead 2: Bloodwings, aka "Shit". Pumpkinhead 3: Ashes to Ashes, aka "Shit 2: the sequel". Lastly, Pumpkinhead 4: Blood Fued, or as it's more commonly known "Shittiest: A Pumpkinhead Movie. Should you like the first film, which is good, you've now been warned on the rest. By far Pumpkinhead 2 is the worst. I was waiting for a laugh track to kick in on some scenes it's so bad. I do however, love the first film and widescreen for this release is long overdue. Thank You MGM!
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#5 of 16 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,703 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 21 2008 - 12:46 AM

Cool. I've already started my October horror movies-2-buy list. Not sure if I'll go with this though. I have it on tape and I'm still happy with that. Now, if this included all those crappy sequels for maybe a little more money I'd probably snag it. I mean, why not? Those flicks sucked but an instant collection would be great. I'd love to see how bad they are. I remember stopping the first one about 25 or 30 minutes in...at that point I called the dentist and scheduled a last minute root canal. Of course, it was weird seeing little Punky Brewster with her new bouncy chest. *perverted giggle*
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 16 John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted September 09 2008 - 01:13 PM

Went to Frys to pick it up just now and flipped it over...1.85:1 Widescreen!!!

Nothing about it being 16:9/anamorphic.

I'll let someone else find out before I buy it. If it isn't, it's a bitch haggling with Frys to try to return or exchange it.
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player; Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box.

#7 of 16 Doug:Li

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 06:39 AM

any one else having trouble finding it? Best buy doesnt have it. Amazon was out of stock. DDD doesnt even have it listed. What gives? Production problems?

#8 of 16 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,703 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 09:11 AM

For the sake of clarity, here is the cover...

Posted Image

Hell yeah! A lot of places are listing it out of stock or back order!

Here's one I found:

cd universe
Pumpkinhead DVD Movie

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#9 of 16 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 08:02 PM

Here's another.
I've never heard of this movie, but the team behind it (Stan Winston, Tom Woodruff and Alec Gillis) looks good. might order it just for the sake of Halloween coming.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#10 of 16 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,703 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 11:59 PM

Brian, you won't be sorry if you're a monster movie fan. It has "sleeper" and "cult classic" written all over it. One of those you discover with glee one night when you can't sleep. Posted Image

#11 of 16 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 12 2008 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sparks
Went to Frys to pick it up just now and flipped it over...1.85:1 Widescreen!!!

Nothing about it being 16:9/anamorphic.

I'll let someone else find out before I buy it. If it isn't, it's a bitch haggling with Frys to try to return or exchange it.
Fox is notorious for not labeling its recent releases as anamorphically enhanced, which of course goes the MGM releases it distributes. If this isn't anamorphic, I'd be surprised.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#12 of 16 bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted September 12 2008 - 01:44 PM

Tis a 16:9 ana. transfer. A rather nice job. Watched it tonight. Good one from the past...good performance by Henriksen....a LOT better than the P & S release from the past.

#13 of 16 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,703 posts

Posted September 13 2008 - 06:03 AM

Cool Bob! I'd love to see this in something other than a recorded off sat dish VHS. I love this film.

#14 of 16 John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted September 13 2008 - 05:33 PM

The film was very crisp and the blacks were black. Bought the latest "The Dead Pit" and the blacks were washed out. Bought "Rodan" and the picture was very dark.

Talk about a hit and miss with DVDs!!!

Just watched "National Treasure 2" on BD and what a picture. Crisp and clean, very film like.

Well, at least we're seeing some of horror films on DVD because they sure as hell won't ever be on BD!!!
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player; Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box.

#15 of 16 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 06:12 AM

A fave of mine. My best friend growing up's father co-wrote and produced it. I went to the NY premiere. A few of the cast were there. Jeff East who is one of the leads was the "young" Clark Kent from the original Reeve "Superman". here you get to see him without the prosthetic nose, wig and get to hear his actual voice. (Reeve dubbed him in Superman) Good to hear we finally get a 16x9 transfer. This was on fearner HD last year and looked great. Could a BD release be far behind?

Happy Halloween, everyone!

d

#16 of 16 Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 11:58 AM

Picked mine up from Wal-Mart, and it is indeed anamorphic. Has a different cover than the one shown, though:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Fun movie!
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

Forum Nav Content I Follow