• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 18 2008 - 02:26 PM

Any idea when Zodiac will come out on Blu-Ray? And better yet, might it contain the featurettes that didn't make the DVD or HD DVD?

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 19 2008 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Any idea when Zodiac will come out on Blu-Ray? And better yet, might it contain the featurettes that didn't make the DVD or HD DVD?

Travis, i dont know when it will come out in the States. But, i know its for sale on Xploited Cinema on a R0 BD. Xploited is closing shop, so if you want that import, get it now. I dont own that disc myself, so i couldnt tell you about the PQ.

Oh, and i know im not David. Posted Image

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   David Prior

David Prior

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 10:01 PM

The international Blu Ray from Warner is almost done and coming out any minute now. We're hoping to get all the unused material onto the domestic, but no word on when that will be.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 20 2008 - 11:31 AM

One of my favorite films, period. I love the SD special edition you did, what other unused bits are there? (if you can talk about it of course, between being a true crime buff, and a Fincher movie fan, that SE was one of those releases that felt like Hollywood made me a movie. Posted Image )

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
...what other unused bits are there?
Check out posts 1 and 8 here: http://www.hometheat....ats-story.html

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff McMillan

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 06:28 PM

I was always surprised that there wasn't a commentary track that included Robert Graysmith. That would have been a nice addition. I'm still really looking forward to this. It was the main title that almost had me considering getting an HD-DVD player.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Greg Mariotti

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 11:39 AM

according to the insert in the new Transformers BD, Zodiac is coming to Blu-Ray before the end of the year.

With the extra space of BD, any chance we could see the remaining supplements that were dropped from the HD-DVD and standard DVD releases?

thanks
Greg Mariotti
www.cameroncrowe.com

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mariotti
With the extra space of BD, any chance we could see the remaining supplements that were dropped from the HD-DVD and standard DVD releases?
See post 3. Posted Image

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   David Prior

David Prior

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mariotti
according to the insert in the new Transformers BD, Zodiac is coming to Blu-Ray before the end of the year.

thanks

We'll be kicking up as loud a fuss as we can to make it so, but I'm not sure enough time has gone by to convince the studio to re-author and menu the disc yet.

I say this out of a surplus of caution, but we're damned well going to try.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Jonathon M

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 09:03 PM

David,

Much as I hate double dips (I already own the R4 theatrical cut DVD, the R1 DC DVD, and the Australian BD release), if you managed to get a lossless track and the missing features onto BD, I'd buy it again.

It'd be really nice if the special feature on the HD-DVD that was in HD but only SD on the blu-ray was in HD as well too!

As always, thanks for your input here. Fincher is one of my all-time favourite filmmakers (Se7en is my favourite film of all time), and it's great to hear from the man who makes his DVDs so great.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted September 25 2008 - 06:08 AM

As a true crme "fan" and someone who is facinated with the Zodiac case; this film is in my top ten favs of all time. I also loved the "This is the Zodiac Speaking" doc you did for the dvd. Im sure it was quite an experience interviewing all those people from the case. (I feel bad for Michael Mageau; was it hard to get him?)

Anyway I look forward to buying it a 3rd time when it turns blu! Posted Image
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Greg Mariotti

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 05:01 PM

We have a release date. January 27, 2009!

David, any final word on the supplements and audio?

thanks
Greg Mariotti
www.cameroncrowe.com

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Jonathon M

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted October 19 2008 - 06:37 AM

dvdfile states it will have the features from the HD-DVD, but no comment on whether or not they're in hi def, or sd, and whether or not the other unreleased features are on there...

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted October 21 2008 - 05:24 AM

If Paramount is unwilling to reauthor the basic disc to include the missing bonus features, any chance of working out a retailer exclusive bonus disc that would include them?
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 08:01 AM

I have the Japanese BD version of Zodiac: DC (released via Warner). It is Region free, also. Posted Image

It only comes with a DD 5.1 track, but all of the extras from the R1 DC are still there, and the PQ (in my mind, a very important aspect of any Fincher film) is certainly a step up from the SD DVD.

I cant imagine the R1 BD being too much different. I'd love to see a TrueHD track, but for now I can do with what I have.

One of the best films of 2007, and a vastly underrated film by Fincher. I feel it will grow with time, like many of his other films. The performances are superb, the attention to detail staggering, and the sound design and cinematography Oscar worthy.

Such a great film, it mixes so many elements of crime drama, noir, and suspense, and it only improves with repeat viewings. Along with Silence of the Lambs, it is perhaps the best serial killer type film made.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 15 2008 - 09:21 AM

nearly a month away from the release, any hints yet of the special features being upgraded?

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Frank M

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 11:13 AM

I was searching at The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) for the excellent documentaries but couldn't find them. Perhaps the Producer has to add them himself to the database :-)

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Merrick Gearing

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted February 22 2009 - 02:22 PM

Mr Prior,

Im curious if you think that Arthur Leigh Allen was the actual Zodiac killer?

New evidence seems to paint Jack Tarrance as the prime suspect.

Im curious if future editions of Zodiac on blu or dvd would tackle this.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   David Prior

David Prior

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick97
Mr Prior,

Im curious if you think that Arthur Leigh Allen was the actual Zodiac killer?

New evidence seems to paint Jack Tarrance as the prime suspect.

Im curious if future editions of Zodiac on blu or dvd would tackle this.

Jack Tarrance (no relation to Jack Torrence, though I love the coincidence) has been on the radar before, but in my opinion the evidence is fairly sketchy.

My personal opinion is that Leigh Allen was not the Zodiac killer. I arrived at this after two years of heavy research and interviews with literally dozens of people involved in the case. When I first started delving into the case I was 90% sure Allen was the guy. By the time I was finished with the DVD, I was 80-20 against. The coincidences are very compelling, but the hard evidence is non existent, and I susbcribe to Charles Dickens admonition: "Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule," at least when it comes to criminal investigations. I think the key to Allen is that he was not the Zodiac, but he really got off on people thinking he was.

All that aside, no one knows for sure. And that's what's so tantalizing and so maddening about the case.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts

Posted March 20 2009 - 02:53 AM

I didn't post this when the Blu-ray came out but the disc is excellent. Not to kiss ass too much but the documentary is really one of the most interesting and thoroughly researched docs that I've ever seen. It shows the reality of the crimes but doesn't wallow in the violence or exploit the victims. Even smaller things like having the interviewees looking into the camera creates an unsettling feeling and is a nice change of pace from the usual way that they shoot interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Prior
I think the key to Allen is that he was not the Zodiac, but he really got off on people thinking he was.
Which is tragic because investigators could have been concentrating on other people (rather than wasting time on someone who just wanted attention) and maybe caught the real killer.

Back to Blu-ray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: David Prior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow