What's new

Halloween Starter Pack (The Thing/Land/Dawn04) (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Universal Brings 'Thing,' 'Dead' Series to Blu-ray this Halloween | High-Def Digest

"Universal has announced plans to bring three of its top catalog horror hits to Blu-ray this September with all-new U-Control features, both as stand-alone releases and a three-title 'Halloween Starter Pack.'
Making their Blu-ray debut on September 30 will be John Carpenter's cult classic 'The Thing,' George A. Romero's 'Land of the Dead,' and the 2004 remake of 'Dawn of the Dead.' (All three titles were previously released on HD DVD.)"

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm down for The Thing and Dawn. Don't care for Land.

Time to Ebay my HD DVD versions.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Specs...

DVD Times - Universal 'Horror' (US BD) in September

"Dawn of the Dead (Unrated Director’s Cut)
BD-25 Single Layer
1080P Widescreen
English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
French and Spanish 5.1 DTS Surround
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
U-Control Tutorial
U-Control Picture-in-Picture
Feature Commentary with Director Zack Snyder and Producer Eric Newman

Land of the Dead (Unrated Director’s Cut)
BD-25 Single Layer
1080P Widescreen
Spanish 5.1 DTS Surround
U Control Tutorial
U Control Picture in Picture
The Remaining Bits
When Shaun Met George
Scenes of Carnage
Zombie Effects: From Green Screen To Finished Scene
Bringing The Storyboards to Life
Scream Tests: Zombie Casting Call
Feature Commentary with Director George Romero, Producer Peter Grunwald and Editor Michael Doherty

The Thing
BD-25 Single Layer
1080P Widescreen
French 5.1 DTS Surround
U Control Tutorial
U Control Picture in Picture
BD-Live Enabled
Feature Commentary with Kurt Russell and Director John Carpenter"

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Those specs are missing the extras on the original HD DVDs. Reading around, it sounds like the missing extras from the HD DVDs are being "repurposed" as the U-Control PiP.

But The Thing had a full-length documentary on DVD & HD DVD. I wonder how this material will be presented - re-edited into the PiP track? Who knows.

With the new DTS Master audio, I was thinking that "Land" and "The Thing" were no-brainer upgrades, even though I have the HD DVDs. Now I think I'll wait to find out more.

Jerome

Second Unit
the european bLR has the full 80 minutes documentary and is a BD 50 Go disc

DVD Times - Universal UK Blu-ray Coming Soon

The Thing

Specs
BD-50 Dual Layer
1080P 2.35:1 Widescreen

Audio Options
French, Italian and German 5.1 DTS Surround
Spanish 2.0 DTS Mono

Subtitles
English SDH, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese and Chinese (Traditional)

Extras
U-Control Picture in Picture track with cast and crew interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
John Carpenter’s The Thing: Terror Takes Shape
Production Background Archive
Cast Production Photographs
Production Art and Storyboards
Location Design
Production Archives
The Saucer
The Blairmonster
Outtakes
Post Production
Theatrical Trailer

DVDTimes Link

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I hope you held off. Now that we know what can happen to the image when they put these films on a BD25 with lossless audio, I'm keeping my HD DVDs until the reviews are in. (See U-571.)

M.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I have all three on HD DVD, but placed a pre-order nonetheless because it was so cheap and offered lossless for the first time on LOTD & Thing.

Based on the info that started coming in regards the dropped extras and the DTS MA not offering a huge upgrade on The Thing, I cancelled my preorder.

Now we hear that the UK looks to be getting what the US should have got.

Way to go, Universal!

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I hated Dawn 04 so thats a no go. I sold my sdvd of Thing and Land so Im off to rebuy my Thing :angry: but Land I will def pick up my blu upgrade.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
job perk, i have The thing now.
there is no indication on the label of the 80 minute doc or anything but .....

Extras
U-Control Picture in Picture track with cast and crew interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell

Just as it was listed in Jari's post.

guess i won't be "upgrading" to the new version from my HD DVD.
got it for free in the 5 free mail in offer anyway.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Still have 'em mainly because I haven't gotten around to doing the Ebay thing - it's such a pain in the ass these days.

Haven't been following U-571 very closely. I honestly couldn't tell much with the screenshots I've seen (not that I put much stock in them anyway :P ) especially on my crappy pc monitor and I tend to tune out the noiser members that seem to have an agenda (certain people can only "cry wolf" so many times before they loose all credibility) so........ is there a problem with U-571? ;) I never liked the film enough to buy or even rent the HD DVD version, same with the BD so I have no informed opinion without doing my own comparison. Besides didn't Robert Harris give his thumbs up on it? :confused:

As for The Thing I'm a little more pissed that they dropped the doc then I am fearful over a dip in PQ.

Given that I got a deal on these I didn't cancel so I'll doing my own quick comparison when they get here.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it more that they've broken the documentary up and put it into segments in U Control? That's close to dropping it but it's not as bad to me IF all the material is on there in some form. It'll just be much harder to watch and enjoy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't know, what I can say is the first u-c feature is about how the opening
"the Thing" title was done with a garbage bag and a light shining through it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
RAH takes a practical approach; if there isn't obvious damage done to the image, he doesn't get too worked up.

I'm not a great fan of U-571 either; so I haven't spent any time doing my own comparisons. But I'm satisfied by people who have that the Blu-ray has a somewhat less detailed image than the HD DVD -- not enough of a difference to render the Blu-ray a "travesty" (unless you're into that sort of hyperbole), but enough to show that there are trade-offs when you squeeze a lossless soundtrack onto a BD25.

M.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I was under the impression that it was completely dropped. I guess broken up into U-Control however cumbersome isn't as bad as not having it at all. But man do I hate U-Control. :frowning:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I just read a positive review on The Thing (over at HDD i think). Seems the improvements at first are subtle, but if you did a side by side you can see more detail, and better contrast. The color has always been muted, but more texture and depth are good things!
Amazon has it for 20, but i wont bite until $10 to $15. If i liked Land of the Dead, i would buy the starter pack, but i dont, so i wont.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks