Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

the Game

David Prior

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 18 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hi David, welcome to the new section of the site.

my question is simply on the movie
The Game.

you seemed to hint maybe about a year ago about something special
you were working on and some people were hoping it was a special edition of this movie.
So is there a special edition of this coming out?

I know it came out on hd dvd but was a bare release.

Thanks again for making your self available to talk about movies or whatever.
facebook.com/whotony

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   David Prior

David Prior

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 12:29 PM

My pleasure, Tony. And thanks for your interest.

I think the project I was talking about was Benjamin Button. At any rate, it wasn't The Game, because Fincher and I have never had a serious discussion about it, and no one has approached us. I have told him a couple of times that there is a lot of interest in a special edition. I'm sure it will come around eventually, but nothing firm at the moment.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 18 2008 - 12:38 PM

Ok that's what it was.
Thanks David.
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,577 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 11:38 PM

FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing at least an anamorphic DVD of this, if not a moderate SE.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 20 2008 - 11:25 AM

I'd snap up an improved SE of this as well, if we're keeping tabs. Posted Image

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 08:16 PM

I love "The Game" and cherish my Criterion Laserdisc. I would happily purchase a BLu-ray edition, if the picture quality would be improved over the not very good HDDVD (according to most reviews).

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 05:42 AM

When was the last time Criterion licensed from Universal for a DVD? They've obviously done it several times in the past and I would think that they'd be happy to at least throw the laserdisc extras onto a DVD with an anamorphic transfer if Universal isn't interested in doing anything with the film itself.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Prior

I think the project I was talking about was Benjamin Button. At any rate, it wasn't The Game, because Fincher and I have never had a serious discussion about it, and no one has approached us. I have told him a couple of times that there is a lot of interest in a special edition. I'm sure it will come around eventually, but nothing firm at the moment.
David, there's already a Special Edition released in the UK.

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Game (The) (1997)

Any chance there being a 2-Disc set with even more extras? Now, alot of people on this site appears to not be multi-region capable excluding myself and import titles. Guess they're lazy.Posted Image
Any plans for a more definite Region 1 release?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

I sincerely hope The Game SE (R2) is finally ported over to R1 this year. The disc already exists so I don't really understand the long wait. The only reason I can think of is that the studio forgot about the film. Perhaps Benjamin Button will remind Universal of some previous efforts from this superb director?

Best case scenario I would also like, as I'm sure many others would, a simultaneous blu-ray release with this reissue.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   DVDRam

DVDRam

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted September 14 2010 - 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by David Prior 

Hi David,

I was wondering if you had any morsels you could throw our way about a possible debut of The Game on Blu-ray?  Especially a Criterion release, as its former Laserdisc?  About six months ago, Criterion posted on their Facebook page when asked about this film, "Outlook good."  I -- and many others -- continue to hold out hope.

Even a "keep patient" would be wonderful to hear, if you can't confirm or deny.

Thank you for all your wonderful work on all your special editions.  They are the very best the DVD/Blu-ray mediums have to offer.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   David Prior

David Prior

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted September 17 2010 - 01:53 PM

DVDRam, thanks for the kind words.  As you probably know by now, Universal made a licensing deal with Criterion for The Game during the period I was doing Benjamin Button.  I'm working on wrapping up The Social Network now, and not involved with The Game, so I'm as anxious to see how it comes out as you are.

Best,

David

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 12:32 AM

I bought the UK Universal BD of the Game and like Alien Resurrection before it the colours and exposure are all wrong due to them not using a bypass source. I hope Criterion get a new source or do it digitally al la Se7en from Warner.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 03:23 AM

Have you seen anything of the Criterion disc David?