-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vertigo - additional restoration coming?

Robert Harris

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:08 PM

Mr. Harris,

In one of your earlier postings this year you indicated something to the effect that with the tools/technology available today that a improved restoration of Vertigo could be done. Are there any plans to revisit the restoration of this title? Secondarily, would improvements from an additional restoration be of a subtle nature primarily benefiting a potential Blu-Ray release or would it be noticable even in a standard definition release?

Please understand this is not meant to be critical of the current Vertigo restoration which looks wonderful to my eyes. I have great respect for the work you and Mr. Katz did with both Vertigo and Rear Window.

Along the same lines, in your opinion, is the Stewart/Day version of "MAN WHO KNEW...." a viable candidate for a full restoration or are the elements too far gone to show much improvement?

Thank you for your time in reading this question as well as your contributions to preserving film history and your participation on HTF.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#2 of 15 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,393 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
In one of your earlier postings this year you indicated something to the effect that with the tools/technology available today that a improved restoration of Vertigo could be done. Are there any plans to revisit the restoration of this title? Secondarily, would improvements from an additional restoration be of a subtle nature primarily benefiting a potential Blu-Ray release or would it be noticable even in a standard definition release?

Up to Universal, and yes, BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
Along the same lines, in your opinion, is the Stewart/Day version of "MAN WHO KNEW...." a viable candidate for a full restoration or are the elements too far gone to effet much improvement?

A properly restored MWKTM could look precisely as it did in 1956.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#3 of 15 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 11:02 PM

Thank you for the response.

That's great news that the potential exists for a properly restored MWKTM.

Hopefully Universal finds the economics of a Vertigo upgrade and a full MWKTM upgrade to be appealing enough to undertake such an endeavor.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#4 of 15 Empirefan70

Empirefan70

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hello Mr. Harris.

In the documentary “Obsessed with Vertigo” narrated by (Roddy McDowall) mentioned the films new soundtrack process was “recorded in six channel dts” now the first edition region 2 DVD doesn’t appear to have an LFE.1 track?

Could this have been lost somewhere in the transfer process or was there LFE.1 track produced for the film as it seems a bit odd? The Dolby digital indicator says its 5.1 and I’ve gone though with a fine toothcomb.

Now if a newer version is to come about, give me a good reason why I should buy another DVD baring the same film, unless there’s a guarantee they’ll be an LFE.1.

The rest if the mix is perfect I like the mild dialogue panning and (stereo surrounds) on the opening sets the tone up perfectly as swells around my heard into dizziness.

Cheers for taking the time, to read and stay healthy.
The audience is listening to 56KW!

#5 of 15 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,393 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 11:41 PM

5.1 is a format. It doesn't necessarily mean that all channels are being used for the particular programming.

I don't recall any LF in "Vertigo."

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 15 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,041 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 03:28 AM

The old U.S. dvd was 5.0. They just mislabled it as 5.1.

#7 of 15 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,047 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 01 2008 - 08:23 AM

i guess this comes out next week?

i saw it in my stores box of retail items that we recieved yesterday.
it's the universal legacy series format.

Jimmy Stewart's big head shot on the cover didn't thrill me but the movie will.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 15 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted October 02 2008 - 08:17 AM

DVDBeaver has a review already. They note a slight increase in quality over the Masterpiece edition, but there's a much greater increase for the new Rear Window over the Masterpiece edition.

The screenshots for Rear Window tempt me to buy it again, but I'm guessing these new masters will be used for Blu-Rays soon, so I'll wait.

Doug

#9 of 15 Empirefan70

Empirefan70

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
5.1 is a format. It doesn't necessarily mean that all channels are being used for the particular programming.

I don't recall any LF in "Vertigo."

The original mix from that era wouldn't have a sub bass track also the trem might have been unheard of at the time the film came out?

So I’m still puzzled as to the quote by (Roddy McDowall) or maybe someone scripted the text wrong thinking "dts" is full all out six-track format, I know it can go anyway depending on the mix and encoding.

Cheers for the response and I’m sorry I was a bit late at replaying.

Stay healthy Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
The old U.S. dvd was 5.0. They just mislabled it as 5.1.

Well that is plausible and I rest my case.

Cheers
The audience is listening to 56KW!

#10 of 15 luyun

luyun

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 20 2009 - 09:35 PM

#11 of 15 rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 08 2010 - 04:26 AM

I don't think this warrants its own thread, so apologies if I'm wrong.  I have question(s) for the Vertigo experts among us ...

Did the Universal logo (in any form) precede the Paramount logo that opens the film - when originally released?

If not, when did the Universal logo first appear on Vertigo prints?

Robert,

Any idea why Universal went with the MCA Universal logo when MCA did not purchase Universal until 1962?

Cheers

Rich

#12 of 15 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,130 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 08 2010 - 06:54 AM

I'm not the experts you're looking for, but the Universal logo appeared in 1984 on this and the four (?) other films Universal re-released that year.  When the restoration was done, they restored the Paramount logo and ran the Universal logo before it -- a perfect example, in my humble opinion, of how to handle studio logos; i.e., do whatever you have to do to satisfy present-day requirements, THEN start the film as it originally existed.  (Same has been done for Psycho.)

Actually, the worst thing about those 1984 Universal logos (for anyone who cared about the scores) is that they messed with the opening moments of the soundtrack.  I don't know why that would have had to be the case, and I forget the details now, but the impact of at least a couple of the films' opening moments was greatly compromised.  Oh, I do remember the volume "sneaking in" gradually -- that was one of the things wrong.

#13 of 15 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,041 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 07:50 AM

I seem to recall the editing of the Universal logo on the 1984 Rear Window vhs to be incredibly hit and miss.

#14 of 15 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 08:35 PM

It certainly now looks like Vertigo is coming from Universal later this year as part of the Hitchcock boxed set, if not as a standalone release. Amazon UK lists as extras: "Bonus Features: Obsessed with Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock’s Masterpiece, Partners in Crime: Hitchcock’s Collaborators, Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts, Foreign Censorship Ending, The Vertigo Archives, Feature Commentary with Associate Producer Herbert Coleman, Restoration Team Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz, and Other Vertigo Participants, Feature Commentary with Director William Friedkin, 100 Years of Universal: The Lew Wasserman Era, Theatrical Trailer, Restoration Theatrical Trailer." Are all of these the old extras from the LD era (that's certainly how it looks)? Have you done any more work on Vertigo? If not, do you know what extra work has been done? Many thanks. Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#15 of 15 AllenW

AllenW

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 15 2012 - 03:01 PM

Robert - It is odd that I just registered on this forum today to inquire about restoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo," but also received today the Collector's Edition DVD of " Vertigo." I watched it tonight and was delighted to see your name at the top of the restoration credits and to see you in the documentary "Obsessed with Vertigo!" You guys did a fantasitc job restoring one of my all-time favorite films and one if the truly great films ever made. It's not hype to call it Hitchcock's masterpiece because it is. Great job!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow