What's new

Sci-Fi from Warner (1 Viewer)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
DVD_Drive-In confirms that Warner are releasing 3 sci-fi double features on the 29th of this month. Titles are

WORLD WITHOUT END/SATELLITE IN THE SKY
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH/MOON ZERO TWO
BATTLE BENEATH THE EARTH/THE UNKNOWN WARRIOR

The bad news is that they're Best Buy only -sigh-

It seems that all the studios keep leaping on this singuarly stupid bandwagon. I guess Best Buy are offering $$$ for doing it. Lord knows, you wouldn;t give them to Best Buy to market for you unless they paid upfront.

As a glimpse into the murky doings of Best Buy, they are listed on the website as "50's sci-fi dbfe" and "70's sci-fi dbfe #1", "70's sci-fi dbfe #2"

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'd bet Best Buy pays them more for exclusive rights than the studio would make off of just selling them. Good news either way.

Although, FRANKENSTEIN 1970, BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS and the others get pushed back another year.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Moon Zero Two is a fun "space western" of all things. Probably the only space movie Hammer ever made?

I've only ever seen the MST3K episode of it, so it's great it's coming out uncut.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
To get to Best Buy, I'd need trans-atlantic travel cause they don't ship out of America.

Oh well, they don't get my money and I'll get a DVD-R later on - unless these titles become readily avaliable from other sellers.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This whole "we can't get this" thing is getting out of control IMO. I'm sure people can find friends online to buy and ship it to you overseas. However, let's not forget how many titles that come to R2 that don't see the light of day in R1 ville. I believe there's a 21-disc L&H set alone that has yet to show up here and God knows how many Euro horror titles are out in R2 but not here.

In the end, American fans lose a lot more than Euro fans do in these BB deals.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I think it's great that these films will be made available, put personally I'm not really interested in this batch. I'm looking for the horror titles like FRANKENSTEIN 1970, THE WALKING DEAD and THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS.

The Best Buy Exclusive thing doesn't ever affect me, as I can always get to one of their stores in my area conveniently enough which will stock the films, when I want them. But still I think it's a boneheaded move to go this route, as so many fans who really want to buy them won't all have the chance. It's almost like they don't want these to sell, and then the companies can say "see? We told you this stuff doesn't sell".

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

And even worse, people will still complain that people are complaining. Which in a way is even more pointless.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

So anyone can find someone who can get anything, and ship it anywhere for them, but American fans are losing out a lot more because of what again?

I've lost count of the number of R1 titles that aren't available in R2, or are available in inferior versions, the number of boxsets that are shorn of titles and / or extras, which has lead to more than two thirds (or more) of my discs being imported from R1.

Sorry, Michael, but you lost me somewhere around 'This whole "we can't get this" thing is getting out of control'...

I'm sure if I prevailed on someone, that I could get hold of the 'Best Buy' exclusives (a HTF member was kind enough to do the honours last time something similar happened), but it's flippin' nuisance - you want a 21-disc Laurel & Hardy Box Set, it might be across the wide Atlantic, but it's only a mouse click away, unlike these titles.

Having said that, Warners will release them on the general market sooner or later.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

But this has been going on since day one of DVD, FFS! There are hundreds of titles that have either never seen the light of day in R2, are cut to ribbons by our state censors but uncut in R1, or have much better extras/ picture/whatever in R1. The Studios have always regarded the US domestic market as far more important than the rest of the planet.

Thankfully there are retailers who are happy to sell titles internationally over the internet - otherwise only a minority of individuals would be able to buy R1 titles while visiting the US.

EDIT: Calmed down. Taken my medication. I'm waaaay too cynical in my old age. Sorry, Michael.

BTW, the L&H 21 disc set is down to approx $98 (+ shipping) currently at Zavvi (formerly Virgin, and they ship internationally).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe so but if people are allowed to complain, I'm allowed to complain about the complaints.

I will say that I don't blame people outside the US for not being happy about this but for anyone in the US, I think they should just be happy that something they want is coming out.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I actually flew from Atlanta to London to get the L&H box set. Well, not just for the box, but I went through the trouble to make a stop at Soho Square while I was there.

Best Buy isn't the "best" but I think they've been more than fair with exclusives. Like having the Popeye Vol. 1 tin, while making it a low price (comparable to DDD or Amazon). Of course, it's a boon to re-sellers... (not that I'm biased after being able to pay rent after reselling the Universal horror sets).

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Will this be a replay of the Get Smart/ Man From UNCLE situation? That was extremely frustrating.

May I just qualify my intemperance in my (now altered) post above - When Dinosaurs and Moon Zero Two are the two movies I've been after copies of the longest. They're two sides of my "when hell freezes over" triangle - the other title being Monte Carlo Or Bust (Those Magnificent Men In Their Jaunty Jalopies) which I finally managed to source from Amazon a few weeks ago. These are movies I don't care about the condition of - I'm just happy to see them available after decades of not being able to get hold of them. So you can imagine if they're unavailable because of some dodgy deal between a retail chain and the studio, a little annoyance might be excusable. :D

troy evans

Screenwriter
The best thing I ever did for myself was getting a region free, PAL/NTSC dvd player. I did this because I simply had to have "Department S" on dvd. Peter Wyngarde is THE MAN! I believe everyone should have a player with this capability and your release worries in other countries will soon go away. On the Best Buy front, Fuck Them. I am so damn tired of their BS it isn't even funny anymore. To all those in other countries who have to put up with their BS as well, I am truely sorry. From what I know of BB exclusives they only have a limited time frame before the titles become generally available. At least the exclusives from them I've seen.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
It doesnt matter what side of the Atlantic your on. I can think of plenty of stuff thats not out in the US, that our European friends get. And the irony, its US movies and TV shows that i can think of, thats not out here!

I have no doubt this will eventually get a wide release, just like the Universal Sci-Fi sets did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks