-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TCFHE Press Release: The Alice Faye Collection Volume 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,292 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:24 AM

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT COMMEMORATES A TRUE MUSICAL STAR

THE ALICE FAYE COLLECTION
VOLUME 2

Hollywood Cavalcade, The Great American Broadcast, Four Jills In A Jeep,
Rose Of Washington Square and Hello, Frisco, Hello
Debut On DVD October 7

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – Rising from the mean streets of New York to become the most famous singing actress in the world, the enchanting Alice Faye continues to entertain with The Alice Faye Collection Volume 2 debuting on October 7 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. From vaudeville chorus girl to Hollywood singing legend, Alice Faye took Tinseltown by storm and captivated audiences with her distinctive contralto and elegant charm.

Highly regarded as a songstress as well as a legendary actress and performer, this girl-next-door turned golden girl starred in over 30 feature films and showcased her husky singing voice in the splashy musicals of the 1930s and 1940s. Now five of Faye’s most beloved musical classics debut for the first time ever on DVD including Hollywood Cavalcade, the classic Broadway romance of actress Faye falling for the dashing Don Ameche; The Great American Broadcast, a zany comedic love triangle with Faye at the shining center; Four Jills In A Jeep pairing Faye with pin-up queen Betty Grable and the incomparable Carmen Miranda for a musical extravaganza; Rose Of Washington Square, with Faye portraying a legendary Fanny Brice-like impresario at the zenith of her Ziegfeld Follies triumph; and the Oscar®-winning* (1943: Best Original Song) musical Hello, Frisco, Hello, where Faye and three friends find love, loss and success in turn-of-the-century San Francisco.

Available together for the first time on DVD, the box set offers never-before-seen documentaries, featurettes and deleted scenes including an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the creation of Hollywood Cavalcade, vintage news coverage of the film’s glamorous premiere, deleted musical numbers featuring Carmen Miranda and more! The Alice Faye Volume 2 Collection is available for the suggested retail price of $49.98 U.S./$69.98 Canada. Each title is also available individually for $19.98 U.S./$25.98 Canada.

The Alice Faye Collection Volume 2 Special Features & Synopses

Hollywood Cavalcade (1939)
Get ready to take a trip back in time, to the true Golden Age of the Silver Screen! A star-studded tribute to the Silent Era of American movie-making, Irving Cummings’ Hollywood Cavalcade is “splendidly conceived, acted, directed and produced.” (Variety) We meet Molly Adair (Faye) in 1913, toiling as a stage actress in New York City, when she’s discovered by an ambitious young director (Don Ameche) who aspires to make it big in the fledgling motion picture business. As the years pass, and Molly’s star continues to rise, we experience first-hand what gave silent films their magic and mystique – from slapstick comedies and custard pies, to Keystone Cops and Bathing Beauties, all the way to the iconic “talkie” The Jazz Singer, which signaled the end of the Silent Era – and forever changed the way the world sees movies!

· Full Screen Feature (Black & White/Color) With English Mono And French/Spanish Subtitles
· Hollywood Cavalcade: The Silent Dream Featurette
· Buster Keaton: Head Over Heels In Hollywood Featurette
· Hello Roscoe: The Fate Of Fatty Arbuckle Featurette
· Outtakes
· Fox Movietonews: The Hollywood Cavalcade Premiere
· Restoration Comparison
· Advertising Gallery
· Still Gallery

Rose Of Washington Square (1939)
Rose Sargent (Faye) dreams of being a star but can only find work singing in dive bars and speakeasies. When she meets the handsome, charmer Buck Russell (Tyrone Power) the two instantly fall in love. But he’s a gambler and a con artist who seems to always wiggle his way in and out of trouble. While singing at her friend Ted Cotter’s (Al Jolson) party, Rose is discovered by a top agent and her life and career take off towards stardom. Rose quickly realizes she must choose which life and love she wants more.

· Full Screen Feature (Black & White) With English Mono And French/Spanish Subtitles
· Isolated Score Track
· Funny Girl, Funny Man Featurette
· Deleted Scene
· Restoration Comparison
· Trailer
· Advertising Gallery
· Still Gallery

The Great American Broadcast (1941)
The Great American Broadcast is an extravagant and heart-warming tribute to the birth of popular radio entertainment during the 1920s, starring Alice Faye, John Payne and the hilarious Jack Oakie. At the dawn of the Roaring 20s, Rix Martin (Payne) is desperate to land a successful business venture. He finds what he’s looking for after meeting Chuck Hadley (Oakie) and comely speakeasy singer Vicki Adams (Faye), who are experimenting with a bold new form of technology – the radio! After joining forces, the trio embarks on a mission to bring this pioneering media to the masses but it will take years of innovation and perseverance before they can finally achieve their goal . . . to transmit the Great American Broadcast!

· Full Screen Feature (Black & White) With English Mono And French/Spanish Subtitles
· Radio Waves: The Real History of The Great American Broadcast Featurette
· Restoration Comparison
· Advertising Gallery
· Still Gallery

Hello, Frisco, Hello (1943)
San Francisco’s Barbary Coast is the place to be at the turn of the century and it’s where aspiring businessman and piano playing Johnny Cornell (John Payne) and his troupe entertain the well-to-do and those who have remained after the gold rush. The quartet includes the soulful singing Trudy Evans (Faye), always cheery Dan Daley (Jack Oakie) and his partner Beulah Clancy (June Havoc). When the quartet is fired from a job for being too entertaining, Johnny decides to open his own dance hall. Soon they are mixing with the elite Nob Hill socialites and Johnny falls for and marries Bernice Croft (Lynn Bari), an heiress whose intentions are purely selfish. Johnny opens an opera house that quickly drains his fortune and sends Bernice packing. Meanwhile, Trudy becomes a star overseas and when she hears about Johnny’s trouble she knows just how to save him.

· Full Screen Feature (Color) With English/Spanish Mono And French/Spanish Subtitles
· Isolated Score Track
· Hello Again: The Re-Making Of Alice Faye
· Restoration Comparison
· Trailer
· Advertising Gallery
· Still Gallery

Four Jills In A Jeep (1944)
Based on the true life adventures of the first female performers to join the U.S.O., Kay Francis, Carol Landis, Martha Raye and Mitzi Mayfair play themselves in the film adaptation of Carol Landis’s novel by the same name. After making a fuss about wanting to go on tour with Jimmy Dorsey’s band, the women get their wish and set off for a six-month tour overseas entertaining the troops throughout England and Northern Africa. Along the way, Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Carmen Miranda and many more join them on a journey of a lifetime!

· Isolated Score Track
· Deleted Scenes
· The Real Four Jills Featurette
· Restoration Comparison
· Advertising Gallery
· Still Gallery

THE ALICE FAYE VOLUME 2 COLLECTION
Suggested Retail Price: $49.98 US/$69.98 Canada
Catalog Number: 2252597
Street Date: October 7, 2008
Prebook: September 9, 2008

HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE
Suggested Retail Price: $19.98 US/$25.98 Canada
Feature Running Time: 97 minutes
Catalog Number: 2252670
Rating: Not Rated
Closed Captioned: Yes

THE GREAT AMERICAN BROADCAST
Feature Running Time: 90 minutes
Catalog Number: 2252668

FOUR JILLS IN A JEEP
Feature Running Time: 89 minutes
Catalog Number: 2252672

ROSE OF WASHINGTON SQUARE
Prebook: September 9 2008
Feature Running Time: 86 minutes
Catalog Number: 2252674

HELLO, FRISCO, HELLO
Feature Running Time: 99 minutes
Catalog Number: 2252676

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 Daniel BARBIEUX

Daniel BARBIEUX

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:39 AM

Bad news Posted Image it seems that the dvd's are postponed to October, 2008.

Hollywood Cavalcade, The Great American Broadcast, Four Jills In A Jeep,
Rose Of Washington Square and Hello, Frisco, Hello
Debut On DVD October 7

Do we have to wait until October 7th to get this box set ? Many sites like DVD Pacific and many others have announced an August 26th release date
Daniel.

#3 of 22 Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 09:14 AM

I already received the notice from Amazon asking for approval of the delay. It sounds like such a great set. I am particularly interested in HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE.

Also, there were 5 numbers deleted from FOUR JILLS IN A JEEP, including one by Carmen Miranda, so I am eager to see how many are included.

#4 of 22 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 09:25 AM

As long as it is still coming, I can live with a delay.

#5 of 22 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 01:33 AM

There were six numbers deleted from Rose of Washington Square and Fox has them all - what exactly are we getting?
Fox, please tell us.

#6 of 22 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Caps
There were six numbers deleted from Rose of Washington Square and Fox has them all - what exactly are we getting?
Fox, please tell us.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It says deleted number? Why only one?

However this sounds like a great set and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Fox give us Betty Grable volume 2 now!
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#7 of 22 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 11:35 AM

Seems to me like another winner, and it couldn't be different coming from Fox.
Fox really puts its best efforts in producing all these extras. Can't wait to watch the feauturettes.
And I think we will see all the deleted scenes from Rosie of Washington Square (I am specially looking forward for the "I'll see you in my dreams" and "I'm always chasing rainbows" numbers), since Fox always included the deleted scenes as extras of its dvds.

Now, we can only wait for Grable vol. 2, Sonja Henie and more musicals to come (Margie, Centennial Summer, 3 Little Girls in Blue and I'll Get By are on the top of my list).

#8 of 22 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 03:13 AM

I love Jerome Kern' score for CENTENNIEL SUMMER. Would also like to see Dan Dailey's Oscar-nominated performance in WHEN MY BABY SMILES AT ME coupled with a non-pd of SWING HIGH, SWING LOW. Dailey is very under-rated and Fox could release his Grable musicals (MOTHER WORE TIGHTS, CALL ME MISTER,) and his other song-&-dancers (YOU WERE MEANT FOR ME, GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY, YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING, A TICKET TOMAHAWK, THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE).
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 22 Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted September 30 2008 - 04:07 AM

Has anyone seen a review of this set yet?

#10 of 22 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 09:33 AM

I recieved my set today and just so everyone knows the Rose of Washington Square DVD does say Deleted SCENES. They should all be there.....I haven't watched it yet!

I can't decide what to watch first.
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#11 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 09 2008 - 12:00 PM

There are three deleted scenes on the "Rose of Washington Square" DVD. The first is a comedy bit that is actually done by a couple of very famous vaudevillians that I should know, but don’t and cannot find any record of them. The second is Alice Faye singing “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows.” The last is of Al Jolson singing both “April Showers” and “Avalon.”

I also was happy with the mastering of the film and I have already enjoyed, “For Jills in a Jeep” and “Hollywood Cavalcade.” This is quickly becoming a favorite set.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 22 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 12:28 PM

( think that the team is Weber & Fields. They are also in THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE and Alice Faye's LILLIAN RUSSELL. I thought that this was a terrific package and as usual, Fox goes the extra mile with the featurettes. HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE is a wonderful film, particularly for those familiar with the Broadway musical MACK AND MABEL. I felt that CAVALCADE was the weakest transfer with strangely palllid skin tones, but it was one of only two films not prefaced by Fox's disclaimer abouy "best surviving elements."
Charles Hoyt

#13 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 09 2008 - 02:28 PM

[quote=Charles H]( think that the team is Weber & Fields.QUOTE]

Your right. Thanks for jogging my memory. What is so great about film is that those famous acts are still with us today and we can see what made them famous for their time.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 22 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 07:51 AM

I still can't believe I have not seen a single review of this set on the Web! Why? Where I am concerned, the films in this second set are superior those in the first. I have always been a great fan of all five for years and years and it is such an immense thrill to have them all on DVD now.

My very favorite in the set, The Great American Broadcast, has never looked or sounded better despite the "best surviving elements" warning. It's such a supremely entertaining, breezy musical with an interesting context, the songs and dances are all outstanding in their sincere delivery and Alice Faye, John Payne and Jack Oakie were such a totally likeable and disarming trio; you feel their sense of fun and camaraderie in every single scene. I always thought this was Alice's finest hour (and a half) - showing off both her comedy talents in the first half and her intense vulnerability in the second. And who can ever forget her lovely, special singing voice? To me, John Payne was Alice Faye's perfect leading man - and this was probably their best pairing. Payne's effective, light singing voice always came in handy too. And to watch the amazing Nicholas Brothers and the Ink Spots is such a treat. Truly an unheralded gem from Fox's musical history.

For a bonus, you can have fun identifying all the great old standards that play as background music!

Yes, I love this movie. Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#15 of 22 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 12:12 PM

A review here
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#16 of 22 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 12:26 PM

I can't wait for my box set to arrive. I should have received it this week. Some of my favorite films are included in ths collection.

Karine, what did you think about the transfers of Hollywood Cavalcade and Hello, Frisco, Hello?

#17 of 22 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires
I can't wait for my box set to arrive. I should have received it this week. Some of my favorite films are included in ths collection.

Karine, what did you think about the transfers of Hollywood Cavalcade and Hello, Frisco, Hello?

Personally, I am very happy with them but I think you should not go by me as I am very seldom displeased with picture quality. Considering, all films used the best surviving elements possible, I was quite impressed with all of them. Frisco looks beautiful, although it is true the colors are a bit faded. Even so, I cannot recall seeing it looking any better ever. Ditto for Cavalcade. I have watched all 5 titles during the past 10 days and have replayed several favorite musical numbers. Posted Image

Glad they included Four Jills in a Jeep by the way. I've read many harsh comments elsewhere saying it did not really belong in an Alice Faye set. I see this entire film as a bonus - it never could have been released as a single I guess and it does give us one additional, star-filled and fun movie although Alice's participation is limited to barely 3 minutes.

For anyone who loves nostalgic musicals, this set is a real treat, my own favorites being The Great American Broadcast (it has some of the most glorious singing ever put on film) and Rose of Washington Square.

#18 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 18 2008 - 01:37 AM

Karine-do no not think anyone could have said it better. I too have enjoyed each and every movie and I agree with you on Four Jills. What an enjoyable film. I am still going back and watching them again.

#19 of 22 John_S

John_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted October 21 2008 - 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
... My very favorite in the set, The Great American Broadcast, has never looked or sounded better despite the "best surviving elements" warning. It's such a supremely entertaining, breezy musical with an interesting context, the songs and dances are all outstanding in their sincere delivery and Alice Faye, John Payne and Jack Oakie were such a totally likeable and disarming trio; you feel their sense of fun and camaraderie in every single scene. I always thought this was Alice's finest hour (and a half) - showing off both her comedy talents in the first half and her intense vulnerability in the second. And who can ever forget her lovely, special singing voice? I always thought John Payne was Alice Faye's perfect leading man - and this was probably their best pairing. Payne's effective, light singing voice always came in handy too. And to watch the amazing Nicholas Brothers and the Ink Spots is always treat. Truly an unheralded gem from Fox's musical history.

For a bonus, you can have fun identifying all the great old standards that play as background music!

Yes, I love this movie. Posted Image

Thank you CinéKarine---your well-spoken recommendation convinced me to Netflix "The Great American Broadcast" and I enjoyed it immensely. Looks like I'll have to purchase these Alice Faye sets now Posted Image

#20 of 22 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted October 22 2008 - 01:34 PM

I love the collection and I finally got around to watching Rose of Washington Square the other night. I was sad though to see Fox not include "I'll See You in My Dreams" in the deleted scenes. Anybody know why it wasn't included?

I plan to watch The Great American Broadcast next!

Fox give us Betty Grable volume 2 now or more marquee musicals!

Forum Nav Content I Follow