What's new

The Dark Knight (2008)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Title: The Dark Knight

Tagline: Why So Serious?

Genre: Drama, Action, Crime, Thriller

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Morgan Freeman, Nestor Carbonell, Monique Gabriela Curnen, Ron Dean, Chin Han, Eric Roberts, Ritchie Coster, Anthony Michael Hall, Keith Szarabajka, Joshua Harto, Melinda McGraw, Nathan Gamble, Michael Jai White, Colin McFarlane, Nydia Rodriguez Terracina, Tom 'Tiny' Lister Jr., William Fichtner, Cillian Murphy, Patrick Leahy, Matt Skiba, David Dastmalchian, Michael Vieau, Michael Stoyanov, William Smillie, Danny Goldring, Matthew O'Neill, Olumiji Olawumi, Greg Beam, Erik Hellman, Beatrice Rosen, Vincenzo Nicoli, Edison Chen, Andy Luther, James Farruggio, Tom McElroy, Will Zahrn, James Fierro, Sam Derence, Jennifer Knox, Patrick Clear, Sarah Jayne Dunn, Charles Venn, Winston Ellis, Sophia Hinshelwood, Keith Kupferer, Joseph Luis Caballero, Richard Dillane, Daryl Satcher, Chris Petschler, Aidan Feore, Philip Bulcock, Paul Birchard, Walter Lewis, Vincent Riotta, Nancy Crane, K. Todd Freeman, Matt Shallenberger, Michael Andrew Gorman, Lanny Lutz, Peter DeFaria, Matt Rippy, Andrew Bicknell, Ariyon Bakare, Doug Ballard, Helene Wilson, Tommy Campbell, Craig Heaney, Lorna Gayle, Lisa McAllister, Peter Brooke, Joshua Rollins, Dale Rivera, Matthew Leitch, Thomas Gaitsch, William Armstrong, Adam Kalesperis, Tristan Tait, Bronson Webb, David Ajala, Gertrude Kyles, Jonathan Ryland, James Scales, Nigel Carrington, Ian Pirie, Lateef Lovejoy, Grahame Edwards, Roger Monk, Ronan Summers, Wai Wong, Michael Corey Foster, Hannah Gunn, Jon Lee Brody, Debbi Burns, Maritza Cabrera, Shirin Caiola, Laura Chernicky, Henry Milton Chu, Kelli Clevenger, Richard Divizio, Tony Domino, David Fultz, Natalie Hallam, Jordon Hodges, Erron Jay, Nicky Katt, Thomas Kosik, Don Kress, Tim Krueger, Dan Latham, Tom McComas, James Mellor, Joseph Oliveira, Buster Reeves, Peter Rnic, Amit Shah, Michelle Shields, Sofiya Smirnova, Bruce Spielbauer, Robert Patrick Stern, Robert Stone, Richard Strobel, Tom Townsend, John Turk, John Warman, Chris Wilson, Kevin Zaideman, Rob Clark, Brandon Lambdin

Release: 2008-07-14

Runtime: 152

Plot: Batman raises the stakes in his war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to dismantle the remaining criminal organizations that plague the streets. The partnership proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a reign of chaos unleashed by a rising criminal mastermind known to the terrified citizens of Gotham as the Joker.

James Bs review. 4 stars.

ReelViews Movie Review

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but 3 of the 4 current negative reviews at RT are from Time Out New York, New York Magazine and The New Yorker. I guess all the talk about New Yorkers being pissed that Nolan filmed in Chicago instead of using their city as Gotham was true after all. It's absolutely ludicrous that "critics" let something like that play into their review of a film, but in this case the bias clearly shows. What a bunch of a-holes. :angry:

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Just got back. If you can, see it in IMAX. Even if you have to wait for a later show or more convenient time this weekend. It's worth it. Every penny.

The movie itself is very, very good. I would have to see it at least a second time before I say HOW good -- but right now I'm falling down on pretty darn great.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm sorry, but it's the media making a big deal about it, not Warner or anyone involved with the film. And even then most reviews have been quite respectful, even pointing out that his performance is great by itself without any bias because of his passing. Warner has made no ads that play up Ledger's death. This is, IMO, a baseless accusation.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Totally agreed. It's like he thinks they shouldn't feature him in ANY of the ads at all or something. Terry Gilliam always has to have a negative word in it seems for everything.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Sad that a paid critic can be that dense to the idea of a re-launch and alternate adaptation. Does he think each film version of Hamlet has been a spin-off of those previous?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Yeah, but Ebert loves Chicago :)

Seriously, Rex Reed considers BB the worst Batman film? Seriously?

I don't think I can even wrap my head around that. Seriously?!?!?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The review comments were quick to jump on Reed's misunderstanding of the franchise and the fact that 'Begins' and 'Dark Knight' are not sequels to the Burton/Schumacher movies.

Now this is one critic everyone can agree on...being a complete moron.

Anyone who thinks Batman & Robin is better than Begins will always be a complete moron, which Reed made clear by stating that Begins was the worst Batman movie he's seen. There's no disagreeing with that assessment of him, because to do that would be well, stupid!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Oh my goodness, what a complete tool. I didn't know Rex Reed was even still alive let alone reviewing movies, but after reading that I'm glad I haven't heard much about him in the last few years. Clearly he's not all there.

In a somewhat related category(since Reed also writes for a NY publication), now 4 of the 5 negative reviews on RT are from New York critics. It's absolutely pathetic how the reviewers in that city are holding a grudge against this movie because Nolan filmed it in Chicago instead of NYC. It's about the most unprofessional bias against a film I've ever seen and I hope nobody takes the reviews from any of those publications seriously.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The critics who thought it was being "too serious" for its comic book roots is one thing, but this idea that Nolan's Batman films are worse than Schumacher's is simply sour grapes, incompetence in understanding the language of cinema, or both.

I like how rottentomatoes.com is listing Eric Snider's review as negative. They quote the following:

"This is easily the worst Batman film so far, and I include "Batman & Robin" in that statement."

And then neglect the next line:

"Just kidding. It's fantastic. I just wanted to see if a negative quote on Rotten Tomatoes would get me the same kind of psychopathic comments that other negative reviews have gotten. If it does, I guess that means those idiots really are just going by the one-sentence quotes, and not actually clicking over to read the whole review."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Good job, RT (thumbs up).

Seriously, I won't critique any of the reviews of a film I haven't seen, or even one I have. Opinions are like (yadda yadda), and all that.

But I agree with Brandon re: Rex Reed. It's OK to not like a film, but a professional movie watcher should at least understand the skill in making it and presenting material. The objective portion of the job.

Still, all in good fun. Who cares?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would think that the negative reviews could be more of a result of some critics deciding that they were going to go against the grain and not like the movie since the movie is going to be very popular (critically and box office-wise) rather than anyone being mad about where they choose to shot.

EDIT: If I lived in New York City, I'd be alot more mad at the movie if they had shot it there since they don't need anything else to screw up traffic in that city. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't going to respond to this whole critic debate. But, reading what Rex Reed wrote....What an idiot. I cannot believe he doesn't know that its a reboot. What gets me the worst. He not only gets to see the movie before me...He gets paid to do it. :frowning:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I read that for the BD release they are going to make it change aspect ratios. I hope this is not true. It would be a terrible idea and would distract from the viewing in our homes. It's designed to work for IMAX screens. I hope they fix it to 2.35:1.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Just finished watching first screening here in Fiji.

Left speaker was off as usual.
Focus was off.
Reel changes were distracting.
The print had dirt and scratches galore.

And the opening did not have the brightness, clarity nor the punch of the IMAX prologue on Blu-ray.

The movie was less wooden than Batman Begins.

Looking forward to the ratio-changing Blu-ray.

LOOKED AND SOUNDED perfect on my home rig.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks