-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE DARK KNIGHT Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
832 replies to this topic

#21 of 833 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 03:05 PM

I finally got around to watching the prologue on the Blu-Ray tonight and HOLY BALLS!!! The picture and sound quality for those 6 min. may be the best content I've experienced on Blu-Ray yet. When TDK is released on the format it should be THE reference disc by which all others are measured. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#22 of 833 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 03:57 PM

Just got back from a sneak peak at the IMAX here in Tulsa. The film is really long! I loved the nod to some of the comics. Most of it was very subtle.
The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke and A Death In The Family. That last one may not be on purpose. I just thought of poor Robin dieing when the Joker goes nuts with a crowbar.
I have watched the prologue over and over again on BD and was shocked that the IMAX version came off a bit blurry compared to it.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#23 of 833 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 05:07 PM

Well, that blurriness is probably just the theater you saw it in, and no indication of the actual quality of the film.

Hey....THAT'S MY SIGNATURE!

Mine's more colorful Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 of 833 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 09:57 PM

Yahoo! Movies: Movie News -

Quote:
ADVERTISEMENT
******** marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://adopt.euroclick.com/adopt.eu?l=a0499abb&sz=300x250&r=h&rnd=1216288239782437&aclick=http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=151ofsill/M=668602.12844638.13113946.12357793/D=movies/S=29288750:LREC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1216295439/L=jc.fgEWTfi0.L5RtSGWIFAaWUCnPTkh_Fe8AC9_U/B=aSUwAs6.Iq0-/J=1216288239782437/A=5321931/R=0/*" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 BORDERCOLOR="#000000">
"Dark Knight" is the type of comic book, action adventure that Oscar voters generally do not favor and there are many movies to see later this year, the experts said.

Still, Ledger's critically hailed performance may bring a nomination for the U.S. film industry's top award, to be presented next on February 22, 2009.
"All this Oscar talk is a phenomenon of the Internet age that I like to call 'a wish-fulfillment rumor.' If people say it often enough, they think it will happen," said Leonard Maltin, film critic for TV program "Entertainment Tonight."
"That's not to say it might not happen," he said, citing a "great performance" by Ledger. "But I assure you that the people who are spreading all this are neither Oscar voters nor (Hollywood) movers and shakers." Tom O'Neil, a columnist for award-watching Web site The Envelope.com, said "it really looks good" for a nomination but was "a long shot" to win.

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#25 of 833 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,360 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2008 - 10:32 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Dark Knight". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Dark Knight" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#26 of 833 Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 10:58 PM

For all these folks saying that The Dark Knight isn't the type of film that is nominated for nor wins Oscars, do keep in mind that fantasy epics like The Lord of The Rings weren't exactly Oscar bait either, and look how that turned out. Posted Image

Oh, and the movie plays even better the second time around. And I second the comment above that if you can see it in IMAX, do so. Not only is it worth it for the IMAX shots themselves, but the 35mm segments looked far better in the IMAX print than they did at the screening I saw on Monday, which was slightly out of focus for the first twenty minutes or so.

#27 of 833 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin
Hey....THAT'S MY SIGNATURE!

Mine's more colorful Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
And I don't think the line we are both quoting is even read that way in the finished product. I think it's an edited version from a couple of scenes. Posted Image

I'm going back at midnight tonight. I really look forward to seeing this again since I have a few unanswered questions. The audience reaction was awesome. People were both laughing and screaming at the same time! The girl next to me covered her eyes several times!

#28 of 833 paul_v

paul_v

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 01:07 AM

LOL

YouTube - Hi, I'm a Marvel...and I'm a DC: Iron Man and Batman #4
Paul V

#29 of 833 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,976 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:17 AM

So here we are. All of that build-up. I don't think we've seen the like since 2005 for RotS.

It's a nice feeling to have little butterflies as you get excited to see a film you have some previous investment in. I missed that Posted Image

Anyways, no doubt I'll feel the compulsion to drop in some thoughts after I see the film. I know a bit of the plot structure, but not enough to be spoiled. I've watched the prologue and release trailers a few times, and caught the occasional commercial. Other than that, I feel pretty fresh for the film.

Very excited I am managing to see it in IMAX (DC) for the first showing. Hopefully, it lives up to the colossal word of mouth. Part of me is just excited to be so excited Posted Image
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#30 of 833 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,876 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_v

"Still sold out in the future." LOL Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#31 of 833 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 17 2008 - 03:39 AM

That was the best Marvel/DC they've done yet! Posted Image

The Oscar talk does have a wish-fulfillment element to it, but it didn't start that way. It started with on set reactions and comments from Michael Caine and Gary Oldman, before Ledger passed away even. Now that it seems the film is delivering the industry may see fit to honor it with several nominations. Every so often a large successful blockbuster transcends its genre and gets a lot of Oscar nominations; examples include Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., The Fugitive, The Sixth Sense, and the LOTR films.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#32 of 833 Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 04:43 AM

To all Bat-lovers...check this out...pretty hilarious...

20 Everyday Items If They Were Designed for Batman

20 Everyday Items If They Were Designed for Batman | Cracked.com

#33 of 833 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
Yeah, but Ebert loves Chicago Posted Image
His review is too specific for that to be the root cause of his love for the film. I think he would have given it four stars no matter what city it was filmed in. I skimmed through parts that started to get into specifics, but I loved this closing paragraph of his review:

For Bruce Wayne is a deeply troubled man, let there be no doubt, and if ever in exile from his heroic role, it would not surprise me what he finds himself capable of doing.

That speaks to exactly what has always been so moving about Bruce Wayne. He could have ended up very nasty, but managed to channel his very negative energy in a very positive way. It sounds like
the Joker is essentially Bruce's doppleganger in this film; both come from troubled childhoods, both are incredibly intelligent, but each channels his passionate energy in completely opposite ways. Ebert's description of the Joker's tactics sounds truly sadistic; he's not just robbing banks, and targeting people at their core, trying to undermine their moral compass just to watch them break.

#34 of 833 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:37 AM

Given the tenor of most of the other raves, Eberts seemed obtuse and somewhat dispassionate to me.
I recently re-watched his Begins review via youtube, and he was giddy and seemed on the verge of bouncing up and down in his chair as talked about what worked.
This review seems so much more detached and distant. I can only think it's either because he wanted to be careful not to spoil any thing at all, however minor, so he kept to broad generalities, or else he admires the film more than he actually enjoyed it.
I suppose it could also be a conscious effort to set his apart from all the others compelled to gush similar hyperbole over and over.
So for anyone headed to a midnight show- when you leaving?I'm planning to get to the theater about 9:30-10. I figure seating will be around 11:30, so I expect to have to wait in line more than an hour to grab a decent seat.

#35 of 833 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,976 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:40 AM

Paul,
I'm IMAXing at the only theater within 2 hours, so I'm getting there at about 9PM. Like a fool. But you only see a movie for the first time once. Might as well get the best seat possible.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#36 of 833 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
Given the tenor of most of the other raves, Eberts seemed obtuse and somewhat dispassionate to me.
I recently re-watched his Begins review via youtube, and he was giddy and seemed on the verge of bouncing up and down in his chair as talked about what worked.
This review seems so much more detached and distant. I can only think it's either because he wanted to be careful not to spoil any thing at all, however minor, so he kept to broad generalities, or else he admires the film more than he actually enjoyed it.

Well, Batman Begins was a surprise. It's the Batman movie he was waiting for. The Dark Knight is a continuation of that and by his review just as great but will never beat the surprise of what Begins was to him.

#37 of 833 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 12:17 PM

I'm going to talk about the end of this movie. I've been reading the Batman comics for years. This movie ends in a way that will cause a third movie to be a bit different.

The movie ends with the Batman on the run from the police. It is implied that Gordon is going to have to go after him in a third movie. A manhunt for Batman is about to begin. So with Batman on the run, what better character to call in as backup than Superman? Could this movie be a set up for a Batman vs. Superman movie? Is that something that we can even discuss here, now?

#38 of 833 Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,048 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:59 PM

I'm one hour away from seeing my local midnight showing. I think I'll probably come down with something tomorrow morning...*cough cough*.... Posted Image

#39 of 833 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 17 2008 - 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
So for anyone headed to a midnight show- when you leaving?I'm planning to get to the theater about 9:30-10. I figure seating will be around 11:30, so I expect to have to wait in line more than an hour to grab a decent seat.
ArcLight reserved seating FTW! I won't be leaving for the theater until 11 or so.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#40 of 833 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M
I'm going to talk about the end of this movie. I've been reading the Batman comics for years. This movie ends in a way that will cause a third movie to be a bit different.

The movie ends with the Batman on the run from the police. It is implied that Gordon is going to have to go after him in a third movie. A manhunt for Batman is about to begin. So with Batman on the run, what better character to call in as backup than Superman? Could this movie be a set up for a Batman vs. Superman movie? Is that something that we can even discuss here, now?

In Nolan's 'real' world Batman, God I hope not.

Partly because of that, and partly because I...
can't stand Superman. Never could.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow