Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Welcome Charles!

Charles de Lauzirika

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,528 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 08:44 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Charles de Lauzirika to our Insiders Area here at Home Theater Forum. Charles is one of the hardest working DVD producers in Hollywood, creating some of the most successful Special Editions ever to be released to the format. If you want say hi to Charles and welcome him aboard please use this thread to do so. If you have any questions, please start a new thread topic.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 08:55 PM

Welcome and many thanks for your work.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,191 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:11 AM

Welcome back! I always appreciated the time you put in on the site, nice to see you have a more permanent home!

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 08:47 AM

Hi Charles Absolutely love your work, especially Blade Runner and Alien Quad Cheers Oscar
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 07:40 PM

Huge fan of your work Charlie! Especially ALIEN, LEGEND, GLADIATOR, BLADE RUNNER, TOP GUN, BLACK HAWK DOWN, Thelma & Louise, The Duellists and various other titles in my collection you've worked on. They're all high quality top notch work. Hopefully soon, since you work with the Scott brothers, we might be seeing a Special Edition release of 1492: Conquest of Paradise? I'd certainly purchase a multi-disc set. Thanks for your time here Charlie!

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 08:59 PM

I also want to welcome you to the home theatre forum for the insiders.. great job on the many dvds including blade runner and spidey 2. Jacob

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 02:52 AM

Greetings from London.

Thanks for the re-welcome! I'm not sure I'll be any more active in this section of the site than I was in the other various forums, but Ron asked, and what I'm gonna tell him? "No?" Posted Image

Hope you all can make it to The Digital Bits' panel at Comic-Con on Thursday afternoon. Come up and say "hi" if you do.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 03:15 AM

enjoying your trip? Jacob

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,138 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 18 2008 - 06:55 AM

Welcome to the insiders' forum. I am a huge fan of your work, especially what you did with Legend.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   ZenAgain

ZenAgain

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 02:39 AM

Charles : W As someone who is involved with disc supplements, what is your perspective on BD-Live? Is thete any BD-Live applications you've heard of date, or could share, that excite you?

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 09:42 PM

Brian: Although I have been discussing BD-Live content with a few different studios, and have had some promising conversations about ideas for upcoming titles, I haven't really seen anything so far that's knocked my socks off. A lot of it is kinda Second Life-y, which is fine, but I'm still scratching my head over how it's supposed to illuminate the filmmaking process in any meaningful way. I probably just need to adjust my thinking and accept that most of this next gen content is going to be more game-oriented and that it can peacefully co-exist with the more informational supplements I enjoy. It's early still, and people are still exploring the post-war possibilities. Maybe I'm becoming more and more old-fashioned, but I've yet to see any use of BD-exclusive content that has inspired me more than simply making better and more interesting traditional documentaries. Then again, owning a PS3 has opened me up to the notion that downloading and updating supplemental content as it becomes available isn't as evil as I once thought it was. So maybe there's hope for me yet. The supplements I've most recently enjoyed on BD were "Bram Stoker's Dracula," "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" and "Pan's Labyrinth" -- but for the most part, those supplements also work in an S-DVD environment as well. I still need to check out Van's ID4 disc. There's just not enough time in the day! Is there any BD-exclusive content out there you recommend I check out?

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 02:37 AM

batman begins has the imax prologue for the dark knight. what do you think of the live visual commentary tracks on bluray? Jacob

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,806 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 21 2008 - 04:13 AM

Welcome to the Forum, Charles! Keep up the great work!!! Posted Image

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 08:24 PM

I just want to thank you for the extraordinaire Blade Runner Edition on Blu-ray. I am still not through with the material :-)

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,103 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 22 2008 - 02:15 AM

The interactive slideshow commentary on Cars is a good one, although they spoiled it a bit with an unwieldy (albeit graphically creative) interface. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,881 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 03:42 AM

Just wanted to officially say "Hi Charlie" by posting here. From meeting you many years ago at David Tolsky's house (when Bill Hunt brought you by for a So-Cal HTF meet) and talking to you then about Blade Runner...and then finally having the hot little BDs in my hands, it feels like we've come full circle! Posted Image

Your contributions here are invaluable, and your work and reputation speak for themselves. Whenever your name is attached to a disc, it's an auto-purchase for me.

Cheers, and many happy returns!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 06:26 AM

Welcome Charlie! Thanks for your great work and for keeping us all sane while we waited for the Blade Runner set!

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 03:38 PM

Reading your profile at the top of the section, I realized that I own all of the DVD sets mentioned with the exception of Twin Peaks, which I plan to rectify by the end of this year.

Thanks for all the fantastic work you've done, especially the Blade Runner set. As awesome as it looks in SD, I can't wait to get a Blu-Ray player and watch BR in high-def. Posted Image

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 01:31 AM

Greetings and welcome to our little corner of the universe! I just bought a Blu Ray player (one that can also stream multimedia, and oh yeah, it plays games too) and my first veiwing had to be Bladerunner. Wow! I always ignored the dirt, the white chunks, and the poor coloration of the DVD. I never saw the movie as a film, and the DVD was much better than the VHS copy. After seeing it restored and gloriously detailed on BD, I describe the DVD as looking like warm sludge. Thanks ever so much for being a part of it! I enjoyed watching the documentary about the restoration, and loved the revelation about the re-shot scenes, especially the "mouth replacement" using Harrison's son in the "Egyptian Scene." Am I dreaming of electronic sheep, or was there a version that had no dialog in that scene? Watching the Director's Cut DVD I always felt that it would play better silent, rather than the clearly mismatched voice and mouth. Thanks again, and do keep up the good work!
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,140 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 04:56 AM

Hi Charles and welcome to the forum! The Twin Peaks Gold boxset is one of the best DVD purchases I have made. Just love the presentation and the wealth of extras.