-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

External Hard Drive Advice - Backups and Partitions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 03:54 AM

I'm currently using a Seagate 320Gb USB2 drive for TimeMachine only, but I'd also like to be able to create SuperDuper bootable images and an Aperture Vault for my photos.

I've got a few questions though.

Am I right in thinking that you can only boot off an external firewire drive, not a USB 2 drive?

If so, and I get a new firewire drive, can you boot from the FW800 port - I've read some good reviews on the Western Digital MyBook Studio Edition (the silver one with firewire 400 and 800 ports as well as USB2).

Is it OK to parition the firewire drive, eg in to three of four drives - one for Time Machine, one for the SuperDuper image and the other for Aperture's Vault (and maybe a fourth partition for dmg files)? Could I still boot off it in that case?

I'm hoping it is, as I don't really want to have to have three external drives for TM, Superduper and Vault.

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 16 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 04:25 AM

If you're using an Intel based Mac you can boot off USB or Firewire.

#3 of 16 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,292 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 08:02 AM

I have used a SuperDuper to boot off of a USB external the last
time I had to perform a restore.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 16 Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 08:43 AM

Great, so I don't need firewire (the firewire versions of external drives tend to be more expensive).

Second part, can I partition the external drive and still get it to work with SuperDuper - ie boot off the partition?

#5 of 16 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,514 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 11:33 AM

Darren, read a little closer. You can only boot off a usb2 drive if you have an Intel Mac. Otherwise, it has to be Firewire.

Beyond that, yes, you can create partitions and boot off one partition. To be completely accurate, SuperDuper does not create an image, but an exact clone of the drive. I have 2 Macs and use 1 FireWire drive with 3 partitions to back them up plus another drive. You can boot from a partition by connecting the drive, choosing a valid partition as the startup drive and restarting. There are other options as well for choosing among multiple valid drives when booting arather than in advance.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 16 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Lewis
Is it OK to parition the firewire drive, eg in to three of four drives - one for Time Machine, one for the SuperDuper image and the other for Aperture's Vault (and maybe a fourth partition for dmg files)? Could I still boot off it in that case?
As has been mentioned, Intel Macs can boot from an external USB drive. More important in this context, however, is that you need to use the correct way of partitioning your drive. If you have an Intel Mac, you need to use the GUID Partition Table (GPT), for PowerPC it needs to be the old Apple Partition Map (APM). Find the setting in the partitioning section of Disk Utility behind the "Options" button.

-Christian

PS: Firewire 800 drives rock!
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#7 of 16 Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 06:41 PM

Thanks guys. I've got an Intel iMac (sorry, should have mentioned that!).

I've only ever partitioned drives when I was using Windows XP previously and had to use 3rd party software to do it without losing data.

Am I right in thinking the Apple Disk Utility can repartition without losing data (I'll backup first just to be sure though)?

I then partition the drive into a couple primary partitions (if I remember, that's what I did with Windows but you can only have four primary partitions on a drive).

Thanks.

#8 of 16 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,514 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 01:31 AM

Christian, thanks for the info on the Intel partitions. Does that mean you can't make bootable partitions on the same drive for both PPC and Intel Macs?

Darren, I believe the 10.5 Disk Utility can create partitions without reformatting, but the idea makes me uneasy. Probably just because it is new. I always take the opportunity to zero all the data on a drive when I have it, so I do it if I am creating partitions.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#9 of 16 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
Christian, thanks for the info on the Intel partitions. Does that mean you can't make bootable partitions on the same drive for both PPC and Intel Macs?
It's possible, but anything but trivial and not for the faint of heart. Check out this page called Intel-based Mac Boot Incompatibility. Further down on the page is an update about how to go about creating a drive with two partitions, one being able to boot an Intel Mac, the other a PowerPC-based one.

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#10 of 16 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,514 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 03:14 AM

I'm not going to worry about it, I was just curious. At work yesterday I re-did my backup drive. I use an Intel Mac and had no idea about the partition scheme. I never bothered actually trying to boot from the backup. If something had happened I still would have been able to restore, just not as easily.

The Hybrid System

#11 of 16 Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 05:15 AM

Can any USB2 or Firewire drive be used to boot an Intel Mac? There's a review on Amazon.co.uk for the WD MyBook SE which says it can't be used to boot a mac.

Are only certain drives compatible as boot drives?

#12 of 16 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,514 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 11:59 PM

I don't know a reason any drive shouldn't work.

The Hybrid System

#13 of 16 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,080 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted July 19 2008 - 12:44 AM

It may be an older motorola based Mac they are talking about. I am with John on this one. You should be able to get a WD MyBook or similar and they will works just fine for you.

I use a 750G MyBook for TimeMachine and it works without a hitch.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#14 of 16 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Lewis
Can any USB2 or Firewire drive be used to boot an Intel Mac? There's a review on Amazon.co.uk for the WD MyBook SE which says it can't be used to boot a mac.

Are only certain drives compatible as boot drives?
I would assume that a drive from the big manufacturers should work just fine. However, I did own an enclosure at one point whose FW chipset did not support booting on the Mac. Needless to say I got rid of it and got something with an Oxford chipset (generally regarded as the best FW chipsets out there) and that solved it.

But I have a hard time believing a WD drive has similar problems. Maybe someone is just trying to boot a PowerPC Mac via USB. That will not work, period.

-Christian

#15 of 16 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,577 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 04:24 AM

I too read somewhere (lost the reference) that not all Firewire chipsets support booting for Macs. I have an Intel Mac (Macbook Pro 2.33GHz) and can't boot from my Western Digital MyBook from a couple of years ago (it had Firewire 400). I ensured that I had formatted correctly. Still no go. But then I bought an external HD from macsales.com, which uses the Oxford chipset, and boot from that drive regularly when I'm cloning back and forth from drive to drive (to defrag).

#16 of 16 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,514 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, I imagine there is always a possibility. There are a lot of bad chipsets out there.

The Hybrid System

Forum Nav Content I Follow