What's new

Problems with my Onkyo 606 - Cannot see OSD or get 7.1 to work? (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
My old receiver died on my last week. I quickly overcame my heartbreak because buying new HT equiptment is great tonic for the emotionally distressed.

I am trying to hook the Onky 606 to my Panasonic BD-10 to get 7.1 surround. I have to use component cables to hook up the reciever to my TV (Toshiba 65H 81) as it is pre-HDMI.

Trouble is, I cannot for the life of me see the on screen display menu for the Onkyo. I have tried it with component in from the Blu-ray player and component out to the TV, with the blu-ray player on, off, playing a disc, not playing a disc - nothing!

Worse to me, is no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the 7.1 working right. I select the right audio input on the Onkyo, choose multi-channel, and it doesn't seem to recognize my surround back speakers. If I choose a listening option that expands to 6.1, I hear sound back there. I am confused and dying to get it ready to watch Batman Begins before Friday.

Can anyone help me - Onkyo has not replied back to me and I check other threads and forums and nothing has worked.

Thanks!!!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
For OSD, you'll probably need to use s-video cable or composite (yellow RCA video) cable.

For 7.1, you are watching a movie with 7.1 soundtrack, right? There's only a handful of them. If movie doesn't have a 7.1 soundtrack, you won't get 7.1, using the 7.1 analog outputs (I don't think DPL IIx mode works with analog outputs).

If you are watching a 7.1 movie, it's almost gotta be a setting somewhere, since you said 6.1 works.
Good luck!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thanks Ed. I tried it with Be Kind Rewind after playing around with it. I think it is working now, although it does not seem to recognize TrueHD (no icon show up). However, the sound was wonderfull on a few discs, I heard things I had not heard before so I am happier than I was.

I was also able to hook up an HDMI for the sound from my HD-A2 and components for the image - also stunning sounding.

Still have a few more kinks to iron out, but I am getting there!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Neil,

Just a heads up if you haven't solved the OSD problem yet. You can only get the OSD to show on your TV if you are hooked up via HDMI only.

I just tried it by plugging in a set of components I had and got nothing. Hooked the HDMI back in and got the OSD to show.

Users who are viewing this thread