What's new

Night Gallery - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
I thought I read somewhere that the 2nd season of Rod Serling's Night Gallery was going to be released on DVD this fall (maybe October 2008?). Does anybody have any news/updates on this?

Thanks,
Joe Kelly

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Every now and then I'll check nightgallery.net for a news update but the only thing I ever read on the "Night Gallery on DVD" link on the left side of the page is that S2 is forthcoming in October.

Here, lately though, I found you couldn't even click on the page link.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Nice to know that S2 is still in the running--even if Universal flubbed in their attempts to release this around Halloween time. I'll just consider myself fortunate if I can get this in time for Christmas.

It'll be interesting if Universal paid heed to the many, many letters and petitions, etc. asking for some extras. A photo gallery of the paintings sure would be nice as well as the Leonard Nimoy hosted short documentary that aired on Mystery Channel. A CD featuring the music scores by Melle, Robert Prince, Billy Goldenberg et. al. is too much ask, I know--but I can dream.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well this discussion thread is certainly engendering a lot of enthusiasm and attention considering it is about a (possible) DVD release of ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY's second season (1971-72).

I guess it is because of the uncertainty compounded by the lack of anything definite pertaining to a fourth season (1958-59) DVD release of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (something anxiously expected by many devout fans)...which at this late date doesn't seem very likely!

Anyway if the NIGHT GALLERY second season set does indeed come out some time in November of this year as anticipated it will prove to be a great finish to a generally fine year in film and tv series DVD releases.

Jeff T.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I don't know about that, Jeff. I'm certainly grateful as I know you are that "The Invaders" S1 finally came out, but seeing as how many classic shows released earlier appear now to be abandoned ("Hitchcock", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and others) coupled with the many snafus with "Route 66", "The Untouchables" S2, "Gomer Pyle" S4 and the granddaddy of them all...namely, "The Fugitive"--well, I'm rather soured on this year's classic tv output myself.

I'm grateful for "Mannix", "Rawhide" S3 vol.1 and "Invaders"--but that's just about the extent of it.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well I guess for me THE INVADERS - THE FIRST SEASON 5-disc set would have been the top DVD release of 2008...indeed VIDEOLOG magazine named it the best DVD release for the month of May!

It may not have completely filled my expectations but it was pretty darn exciting watching that's for sure! I am confident that an "improved" issue will come about in time.

There were a number of fine SF genre film DVD releases as well and (as I already said) ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY would cap off 2008 in grand fashion.

Pertaining to VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA the 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment representations have already stated that the company has not discontinued this particular DVD set and that a fourth season (1967-68) release is due out sometime in 2009.

Apart from this "official" assurance I guess the only thing that will genuinely convince any remaining skeptics is the actual DVD release itself.

Jeff T.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

It might be to SOME fans of older shows, I suppose--provided they had ZERO interest in "The Fugitive"!

As far as TV/DVD collecting is concerned I'll always remember 2008 as the year where even a stalwart and seemingly infallible studio like Paramount, which in the past has consistently met expectations of classic tv fans, could so impossibly blunder...

And let's face it. Universal is going to short shrift fans of "Night Gallery" again as they did with S1 (2000+ signatures on a petition for a better release be damned). I just hope they do away with those insanely confusing menus and the pompously loud Universal logo as lead-in to EVERY episode.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
This is all assuming that there will be a DVD release of ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY second season (1971-72) in the first place as yet there has been no official confirmation.

If it should happen then I will worry about the quality of the video transfers which (as you already intimated) will likely be similar to the first season (1970-71) set.

Pertaining to Quinn Martin produced tv series it is obvious which my favourite is so I have no real opinion to express on the others or the quality of their respective DVD releases.

Jeff T.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What on earth are "podcast commentaries"? Does that mean they're not on the DVDs themselves? What's the point of that?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Podcast commentaries are just regular commentaries that were originally available online as something you could download to an iPod, etc. and watch along with your copy of the episode. I have absolutely no clue what site you could get these ones from though.

EDIT: Just to clarify, they'll be on the actual disc and not something that you need to download.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
This is really good news. Especially with extras. I wonder if the region 2 edition will also have the extras on it?

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
NG S2 was one of my TV-DVD holy grails and now it's been officially announced by Universal! I can't believe all the extra features and having a Del Toro commentary will be fun (he had scenes from the NG pilot on a TV set during a scene in Hellboy II)! Hopefully this will lead to a DVD release for the third and final season.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I thought the scenes were from "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar". I recognized William Windom. I don't believe that was the pilot.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Skelton wrote a book on the show and runs Nightgallery.net so I would guess those are where the podcasts first appeared. He and Del Toro originally offered (seperately?) to contribute extras for the first season but were rebuffed.
I haven't seen Hellboy, but I think Windom was in at least two NG stories (the other being Little Girl Lost iirc). I just finally watched my copy of Tim Rileys Bar in anticipation of an announcement soon. I'd been saving it all these years for a special occasion and the time finally felt right. I just finished Tz S3 recently and Serlings penchant for loquacious sentimentality was already starting to wear thin by that point- but in "...Tim Riley" he got his mojo back for the most part. A couple of Windoms monologues were as elegantly plaintive as anything he's ever written. Not a perfect job, but still one of my favorite pieces of television ever.
(OT but- The first exposure I had to the story was actually not on the show but in one of the NG tie-in paperbacks. I found a copy in my 8th grade Library and read it in Study Hall- and was just as moved)
I'm thrilled by this announcement. These are the Lions share of NG eps that represent my strongest memories of the show. The great vastly outnumber the mediocre in this season, imo. Hopefully no QC gaps will mar the release.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This is better news than I could even imagine for this show. Season 2 isn't quite as good as season 1 is (too many comedy shorts IMHO), but its still pretty good in its own right and far better than the dreck that is season 3.

Any word on if they're going to include the "bonus shorts" (ie: unaired comedy sketches) they added to syndication repeats?

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Very welcome news indeed and I'm really psyched over this release. It appears that there will be a series retrospective included on disc 5 as well as a special feature on the paintings, two things I and so many other NG fans were hoping for!

Finally I get to revisit "Midnight Never Ends", "Green Fingers", "Silent Snow, Secret Snow" and "The Caterpiller"! The long wait is nearly over.

Yes, S3 is a bit of a drop down from S2 but I sure hope it gets released as well. There are still many great episodes, several penned by Serling: "The Girl With the Hungry Eyes", "Rare Objects", "The Other Way Out", "Finnegan's Flight", and "The Ring With the Red Velvet Ropes". I want this one if only for Joanna Pettet's appearance in "Hungry Eyes".

Would that be "Satisfaction Guaranteed", "Room For One Less" and "Die Now, Pay Later"? Good question--hope they get included, as corny as they are (first two, anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks