Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Night Gallery - Season 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#41 of 129 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 12 2008 - 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
It's lame that this happened but I'll still give a big thumbs up for Universal telling people about this months before the release rather than waiting until the day it came out or not at all.

Maybe they'll be able to find the missing stuff from a fan or a syndicated print (as Corey said) and include it on the S3 set at least.

it is just weird since I'm not saying "I remember seeing this on TV 20 years ago." This was like a month ago - so it's post-vault fire, too.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#42 of 129 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted September 13 2008 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
it is just weird since I'm not saying "I remember seeing this on TV 20 years ago." This was like a month ago - so it's post-vault fire, too.

This seems to me that UNIVERSAL is either lazy or reluctant to use syndicated prints!

#43 of 129 OFFLINE   ryan1993

ryan1993

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 13 2008 - 06:53 AM

that's a shame ep's are missing Posted Image

#44 of 129 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 13 2008 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson
This seems to me that UNIVERSAL is either lazy or reluctant to use syndicated prints!

This might just be a weird case that the available prints in the vault don't match with the video transfer used by RTN. RTN uses MPEG-4.

The missing "episodes" are like 2 minutes long.
come see the reviews at

#45 of 129 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 01:28 AM

No connection to the recent studio lot fire?

#46 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
The missing "episodes" are like 2 minutes long.

Each of the two segments is just over 5 minutes in length. Long enough to make it somewhat episodic, unlike the 'blackout' vignettes like "Smile, Please" or "Room for one Less" which have that 'blink and you miss it' feel.

#47 of 129 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 08:33 AM

I assume this means we'll be getting "Die Now, Pay Later" in the Witches' Feast slot.

#48 of 129 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ks
Each of the two segments is just over 5 minutes in length. Long enough to make it somewhat episodic, unlike the 'blackout' vignettes like "Smile, Please" or "Room for one Less" which have that 'blink and you miss it' feel.

Satisfaction seemed really short when it ran here
come see the reviews at

#49 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 04:39 AM

Screen captures for the S2 menus:

Night Gallery DVD news: Menu Screens for Night Gallery - Season 2 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Definitely an improvement so far over the clumsy set-up seen in the S1 set.

#50 of 129 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 03:36 PM

Universal stating they were unable to locate the missing segments when they are actually available (even if only in syndicated form) is quite strange.

David, have you been in contact with Universal since the news release to inform them of what Joe Corey has posted on this forum? They should know that already, but if they need to be notified directly then so be it.

With the prints existing why not do what’s necessary to have them included and delay the release if necessary? We have already waited long enough for a release of season two so waiting a little longer wouldn’t be a big deal. Who cares if syndicated prints are all that is available, isn’t it obvious to Universal that using them is better than the alternative? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

#51 of 129 OFFLINE   Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 04:18 PM

Well, "unable to locate" is likely corporate-speak for one or some combination of: a) they didn't realize these existed until the DVDs were finished; b) whatever elements they did have were inferior to the remastered episodes and were rejected for quality; or c) in order to access them Uni would've had to search outside their own archives, and they weren't inclined to do so. As others noted above, clearly they do exist in some form (unlike, say, the original hour versions of the first season of McCloud, which I've been halfway talked into believing might be irretrievably lost).

Either way, it's frustrating that the release comes so close to being complete and just misses the mark.

#52 of 129 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 18 2008 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
David, have you been in contact with Universal since the news release to inform them of what Joe Corey has posted on this forum?

Well, it was Gord who was in contact with Uni about this, not me. He simply passed word on to me for posting, since I'm the news-posting guy. Posted Image

And yes, I did pass word back to Gord about this conversation here. It was right after he got back from his overseas trip, though, and frankly he's still jet lagged (i.e., wanting to sleep at hours as if he was on the other side of the world). Therefore I'm not sure if he did anything with it, but I'll try to remember to check with him about it later on today.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#53 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted September 19 2008 - 07:00 AM

Just now received an email from Scott Skelton. Some good news regarding S2:

"I just spoke with my contact at Universal, and the second episode WILL include the complete, uncut story segment "Satisfaction Guaranteed." Unfortunately, "Witches' Feast" will not be included, but she said that, in the event Season 3 is released, they'll be looking to include that in the Season 3 DVD set as a bonus. We'll alert them to the syndication-only segments ["Room for one Less", "Die Now, Pay Later"] as well."

#54 of 129 OFFLINE   serlingng

serlingng

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 19 2008 - 07:20 AM

I just spoke with my contact at Universal, and the second episode WILL include the complete, uncut story segment "Satisfaction Guaranteed." Unfortunately, "Witches' Feast" will not be included, but she said that, in the event Season 3 is released, they'll be looking to include that in the Season 3 DVD set as a bonus, along with the syndication-only segments, "Room for One Less" and "Die Now, Pay Later." Because "Witches' Feast" (which ran in the place of "Satisfaction Guaranteed" when the second episode was first broadcast) could not be included, the front of the DVD package was changed from saying "The Complete Second Season" to, simply, "Season Two."

The liner notes on the DVD package (which has already been printed) is still going to say that "portions of 'Satisfaction Guaranteed'" could not be included--a mistake that can't be corrected at this stage of production.

#55 of 129 OFFLINE   serlingng

serlingng

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 19 2008 - 07:24 AM

Universal thought they had "Witches' Feast" at first--their print was mislabeled as "A Death in the Family/The Merciful/Class of '99/Witches' Feast." It was only when they checked later that they found it was the rerun showing with "Satisfaction Guaranteed" in place of "Witches' Feast."

They searched for the original, uncut "Witches' Feast" and couldn't find it in the vaults. By the time they discovered the existence of the syndication version (which is slightly altered from the original), it was too late.

#56 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 03:24 AM

Jim Benson, co-writer of the Night Gallery companion book, hosts a radio show that recently featured directors Jeannot Szwarc and Guillermo Del Toro (who provided audio commentary for the upcoming set).

Takes a while to load but well worth a listen:

TV Time Machine - Directors Guillermo Del Toro and Jeannot Szwarc honor Rod Serling's Night Gallery Part One

By the way, welcome to the HTF, Scott. I hope you'll choose to visit now and then and share some insights on "Night Gallery" with us.

#57 of 129 OFFLINE   serlingng

serlingng

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 04:58 AM

<>

I gave it a listen last night, and now I'm looking forward to Guillermo's commentaries even more. I knew he was an enormous fan of the series, but I hadn't realized how deep his knowledge of its history was. That, coupled with his filmmaker's appreciation for directorial style, the importance of atmosphere, and a well-told story truly makes him the ideal commentator on these episodes. I know he wanted to do more commentaries than Universal would allow, and he also was hoping to do some filmed introductions to all the episodes as well. Having heard this discussion-panel-style interview between Guillermo, Jim, and NG director Jeannot Szwarc, I really regret Universal didn't step up and give the fans the full megillah. But I shouldn't complain--they've done so much already.

<>

Thanks, Michael. It was about time I joined the forum anyway, since I've recently gotten into blu-ray discs.

#58 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 07:08 AM

Quote:
I gave it a listen last night, and now I'm looking forward to Guillermo's commentaries even more. I knew he was an enormous fan of the series, but I hadn't realized how deep his knowledge of its history was.

His enthusiasm for NG is infectious and I really enjoyed his insights and musings on the stylistic qualities of the show. I thought he (and Jeannot as well) had some very interesting remarks on how the music scores added such an important dimension and texture to the series. I particularly liked listening to how Laird and Serling had different opinions on the conception and execution of stories, including the manner in which children should be portrayed in the body of a particular episode.

I definitely looking forward to digesting all of the special feature material for the S2 set!

#59 of 129 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 05:36 AM

Can't wait either, it'll be great. Maybe we can even expect a release of Universal's "The Sixth Sense", uncut, in a not too distant future.

#60 of 129 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted September 25 2008 - 01:37 AM

I can only hope that Universal redoes Season 1 with an extras package of this calibur at some point.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow