-

Photo
- - - - -

Night Gallery - Season 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#1 of 129 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 01:58 AM

I thought I read somewhere that the 2nd season of Rod Serling's Night Gallery was going to be released on DVD this fall (maybe October 2008?). Does anybody have any news/updates on this?

Thanks,
Joe Kelly

#2 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 04:59 AM

Every now and then I'll check nightgallery.net for a news update but the only thing I ever read on the "Night Gallery on DVD" link on the left side of the page is that S2 is forthcoming in October.

Here, lately though, I found you couldn't even click on the page link.

#3 of 129 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 09:11 PM

IF it's coming out this year, then news should be coming very soon now. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 129 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 03:24 AM

Just read on the TV Shows On DVD website that there's a rumor Night Gallery Season 2 will be coming on DVD November 18th.

#5 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 10:39 AM

Nice to know that S2 is still in the running--even if Universal flubbed in their attempts to release this around Halloween time. I'll just consider myself fortunate if I can get this in time for Christmas.

It'll be interesting if Universal paid heed to the many, many letters and petitions, etc. asking for some extras. A photo gallery of the paintings sure would be nice as well as the Leonard Nimoy hosted short documentary that aired on Mystery Channel. A CD featuring the music scores by Melle, Robert Prince, Billy Goldenberg et. al. is too much ask, I know--but I can dream.

#6 of 129 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 02:56 AM

Well this discussion thread is certainly engendering a lot of enthusiasm and attention considering it is about a (possible) DVD release of ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY's second season (1971-72).

I guess it is because of the uncertainty compounded by the lack of anything definite pertaining to a fourth season (1958-59) DVD release of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (something anxiously expected by many devout fans)...which at this late date doesn't seem very likely!

Anyway if the NIGHT GALLERY second season set does indeed come out some time in November of this year as anticipated it will prove to be a great finish to a generally fine year in film and tv series DVD releases.

Jeff T.

#7 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
...it will prove to be a great finish to a generally fine year in film and tv series DVD releases.

I don't know about that, Jeff. I'm certainly grateful as I know you are that "The Invaders" S1 finally came out, but seeing as how many classic shows released earlier appear now to be abandoned ("Hitchcock", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and others) coupled with the many snafus with "Route 66", "The Untouchables" S2, "Gomer Pyle" S4 and the granddaddy of them all...namely, "The Fugitive"--well, I'm rather soured on this year's classic tv output myself.

I'm grateful for "Mannix", "Rawhide" S3 vol.1 and "Invaders"--but that's just about the extent of it.

#8 of 129 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 07:14 AM

Well I guess for me THE INVADERS - THE FIRST SEASON 5-disc set would have been the top DVD release of 2008...indeed VIDEOLOG magazine named it the best DVD release for the month of May!

It may not have completely filled my expectations but it was pretty darn exciting watching that's for sure! I am confident that an "improved" issue will come about in time.

There were a number of fine SF genre film DVD releases as well and (as I already said) ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY would cap off 2008 in grand fashion.

Pertaining to VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA the 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment representations have already stated that the company has not discontinued this particular DVD set and that a fourth season (1967-68) release is due out sometime in 2009.

Apart from this "official" assurance I guess the only thing that will genuinely convince any remaining skeptics is the actual DVD release itself.

Jeff T.

#9 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 06:18 AM

Quote:
2008: IT WAS A 'VERY' GOOD YEAR!!!!!

It might be to SOME fans of older shows, I suppose--provided they had ZERO interest in "The Fugitive"!

As far as TV/DVD collecting is concerned I'll always remember 2008 as the year where even a stalwart and seemingly infallible studio like Paramount, which in the past has consistently met expectations of classic tv fans, could so impossibly blunder...

And let's face it. Universal is going to short shrift fans of "Night Gallery" again as they did with S1 (2000+ signatures on a petition for a better release be damned). I just hope they do away with those insanely confusing menus and the pompously loud Universal logo as lead-in to EVERY episode.

#10 of 129 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 07:58 AM

This is all assuming that there will be a DVD release of ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY second season (1971-72) in the first place as yet there has been no official confirmation.

If it should happen then I will worry about the quality of the video transfers which (as you already intimated) will likely be similar to the first season (1970-71) set.

Pertaining to Quinn Martin produced tv series it is obvious which my favourite is so I have no real opinion to express on the others or the quality of their respective DVD releases.

Jeff T.

#11 of 129 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,298 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted August 05 2008 - 08:04 AM

This is exciting news for us Night Gallery/Rod Serling fans. And generous bonus material, as well.

Night Gallery DVD news: Extras for Night Gallery - Season 2 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#12 of 129 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,267 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 09:36 AM

What on earth are "podcast commentaries"? Does that mean they're not on the DVDs themselves? What's the point of that?

#13 of 129 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 05 2008 - 10:10 AM

Podcast commentaries are just regular commentaries that were originally available online as something you could download to an iPod, etc. and watch along with your copy of the episode. I have absolutely no clue what site you could get these ones from though.

EDIT: Just to clarify, they'll be on the actual disc and not something that you need to download.

#14 of 129 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 10:30 AM

This is really good news. Especially with extras. I wonder if the region 2 edition will also have the extras on it?

#15 of 129 OFFLINE   JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted August 05 2008 - 11:18 AM

NG S2 was one of my TV-DVD holy grails and now it's been officially announced by Universal! I can't believe all the extra features and having a Del Toro commentary will be fun (he had scenes from the NG pilot on a TV set during a scene in Hellboy II)! Hopefully this will lead to a DVD release for the third and final season.

#16 of 129 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 02:33 PM

I thought the scenes were from "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar". I recognized William Windom. I don't believe that was the pilot.

Doug
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#17 of 129 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 04:00 PM

Skelton wrote a book on the show and runs Nightgallery.net so I would guess those are where the podcasts first appeared. He and Del Toro originally offered (seperately?) to contribute extras for the first season but were rebuffed.
I haven't seen Hellboy, but I think Windom was in at least two NG stories (the other being Little Girl Lost iirc). I just finally watched my copy of Tim Rileys Bar in anticipation of an announcement soon. I'd been saving it all these years for a special occasion and the time finally felt right. I just finished Tz S3 recently and Serlings penchant for loquacious sentimentality was already starting to wear thin by that point- but in "...Tim Riley" he got his mojo back for the most part. A couple of Windoms monologues were as elegantly plaintive as anything he's ever written. Not a perfect job, but still one of my favorite pieces of television ever.
(OT but- The first exposure I had to the story was actually not on the show but in one of the NG tie-in paperbacks. I found a copy in my 8th grade Library and read it in Study Hall- and was just as moved)
I'm thrilled by this announcement. These are the Lions share of NG eps that represent my strongest memories of the show. The great vastly outnumber the mediocre in this season, imo. Hopefully no QC gaps will mar the release.

#18 of 129 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 04:32 PM

This is better news than I could even imagine for this show. Season 2 isn't quite as good as season 1 is (too many comedy shorts IMHO), but its still pretty good in its own right and far better than the dreck that is season 3.

Any word on if they're going to include the "bonus shorts" (ie: unaired comedy sketches) they added to syndication repeats?

#19 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 02:14 AM

Very welcome news indeed and I'm really psyched over this release. It appears that there will be a series retrospective included on disc 5 as well as a special feature on the paintings, two things I and so many other NG fans were hoping for!

Finally I get to revisit "Midnight Never Ends", "Green Fingers", "Silent Snow, Secret Snow" and "The Caterpiller"! The long wait is nearly over.

Yes, S3 is a bit of a drop down from S2 but I sure hope it gets released as well. There are still many great episodes, several penned by Serling: "The Girl With the Hungry Eyes", "Rare Objects", "The Other Way Out", "Finnegan's Flight", and "The Ring With the Red Velvet Ropes". I want this one if only for Joanna Pettet's appearance in "Hungry Eyes".

Quote:
Any word on if they're going to include the "bonus shorts" (ie: unaired comedy sketches) they added to syndication repeats?

Would that be "Satisfaction Guaranteed", "Room For One Less" and "Die Now, Pay Later"? Good question--hope they get included, as corny as they are (first two, anyway).

#20 of 129 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 07:15 AM

Serling standing in a hallway again, but what the heck, I'm just glad that after 4 years and 3 months, it's finally coming.

Night Gallery DVD news: Box Art for Night Gallery - Season 2 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Forum Nav Content I Follow