Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

In which I crow about an achievement...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Christopher_S

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 12:44 AM

After several years of working on it, failed tenures with talent agencies, auditions never heard from again, and major bouts with apathy and self-doubt...

Today I head to Chicago to record my first big-time voiceover.

I'm both elated and petrified. I'll be in a studio where every band I can think of has recorded, doing a 30 second national TV ad for a fast food place.

I don't have anything profound to say about it, other than I guess the usual sports-movie cliche that one shouldn't give up after a few (or more than a few) failures. That was certainly the case with me.

Anyway, it's a victory for me today, and if that isn't cause for a random post in the After Hours Lounge, I don't know what is.
[T]he founders of the Super 8 motel chain must surely have been ignorant of the meaning of suppurate. -- David Foster Wallace

Yapping - teamubermensch.podbean.com/

PS3 - CDStucky360 - Chopper Newt 

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 01:54 AM

Congratulations on receiving the "Call Back" Posted ImagePosted Image

You have completed the first step in your career of becoming a world-famous yodeler

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 02:16 AM

Congratulations!

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 06:39 AM

Glad to hear you broke into the business! Always good to hear about people who didn't give up, finally succeeding.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 06:55 AM

Congratulations Christopher. To slightly misquote Churchill: “Never give up.”
¡Time is not my master!

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,269 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 16 2008 - 07:05 AM

Cool! Let us know when the ad airs Posted Image

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 07:29 AM

Awesome! Posted Image

--
H

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 11:30 AM

Can you tell us which chain?

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 11:40 AM

Fantastic! Posted Image

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Christopher_S

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 12:20 PM

It's a KFC TV ad for a new sandwich. It starts "Been hanging around waiting for the perfect chicken sandwich?" They offered to have me watch the visuals before recording, but I didn't, so I don't know what it looks like. I don't know if there are any rules about me talking specifically about where it airs or anything, so I suppose I shouldn't, but it's most of the country as I understand it. No idea when, though.

That was quite an experience. I was at Chicago Recording Company, what a fantastic studio that was. Lots of long-haired kids in t-shirts bringing me water and all, got to pretend to be a real big shot. 90 minutes for the session itself. I was so happy that I didn't get a big case of nerves. There was a lot of copy to get through, but I didn't end up having to re-do much of it. They seemed to be really pleased with my takes.

Thanks to all of you for the kind posts. Right now, I DO feel like the poster child for not giving up.
[T]he founders of the Super 8 motel chain must surely have been ignorant of the meaning of suppurate. -- David Foster Wallace

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 17 2008 - 09:43 AM

That's awesome. I'm underemployed right now, struggling to find ANY job, much less one I liked. It's nice to hear a success story like yours!Posted Image

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,166 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 17 2008 - 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_S
That was quite an experience. I was at Chicago Recording Company, what a fantastic studio that was. Lots of long-haired kids in t-shirts bringing me water and all, got to pretend to be a real big shot. 90 minutes for the session itself. I was so happy that I didn't get a big case of nerves. There was a lot of copy to get through, but I didn't end up having to re-do much of it. They seemed to be really pleased with my takes.

Christopher: Congratulations. As a broadcaster myself (small time), I know that feeling of accomplishment of getting the foot in the door and getting your first gig behind you. Here's to many more!

I do a fair amount of voice work in my job and while most of it becomes quite routine...there are always those times when something becomes larger than expected or you get a job which takes you into a big studio with all the trimmings.

You must have had a blast! I can tell you it's a trip that you'll never forget.

I'll be paying attention for the spot. Any idea when it will begin to air?

Keep it going! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Christopher_S

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 10:57 AM

Mike

No, unsure about when it'll be on the air.

Got another call from the agency today, I have to return to Chicago on Monday. I was afraid it was because I'd messed something up, but apparently now they're going to do some radio ads too and want me for those. The agent said it must have gone quite well.

It's AMAZING how quickly the novelty of this enterprise has worn off for my boss, though. Posted Image

In the interest of hanging on to my day job, I am going to spend the weekend checking out ISDN equipment, so that having a session can mean a long lunch instead of a full vacation day.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 02:11 PM

That's great news. I'm looking forward to seeing the commercial.

~T

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 04:14 PM

Congrats. That is cool.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,166 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 20 2008 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
Mike

No, unsure about when it'll be on the air.

If you find out...report back! Posted Image

Quote:
Got another call from the agency today, I have to return to Chicago on Monday. I was afraid it was because I'd messed something up, but apparently now they're going to do some radio ads too and want me for those. The agent said it must have gone quite well.

Too cool for school! Posted Image

Quote:
It's AMAZING how quickly the novelty of this enterprise has worn off for my boss, though. Posted Image

In the interest of hanging on to my day job, I am going to spend the weekend checking out ISDN equipment, so that having a session can mean a long lunch instead of a full vacation day.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Christopher_S

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 11:32 AM

Not surprisingly, the WAF in relation to gadgets goes way up when you can couch it in words like "ISDN equipment will allow me to keep the real job (with the benefits) and not get fired".

Now, is there a way I can make the same argument about a 1080p projector? Haven't worked it out yet...

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow