Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A note to would-be telecommuters: Remote Desktop works in Parallels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 15 2008 - 02:00 PM

Will technological wonders never cease? On my MacBook Pro, I'm running WinXP full screen in Parallels. In WinXP, I've installed my company's software-only VPN client and have connected to the corporate network. Inside the network, I'm using Windows Remote Desktop to connect to my office computer. So on my Mac, I have my office PC fullscreen; it's almost like being there.

Lesson learned: if your company uses a VPN / Remote Desktop system for telecommuting, you can work remotely from a Mac.

Very cool. Very useful.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 03:29 PM

Dave I can remote desktop into my work servers as well...without having to use windows. We use Cisco VPN so I installed the OS X cisco client and Microsoft has a RemoteDesktop client for OS X as well so between the two I can work on my servers without leaving OSX. Actually I sometimes Remote into my desktop at work...and then remote out from that to the server so I'm in three deep at that point Posted Image

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 15 2008 - 11:34 PM

Andrew, thanks for the note. I'll look into that. It would be a simpler solution, if I could eliminate the Parallels step.

UPDATE: Alas, no OS X VPN client available through my company, so I can't try it. (And no apparent way to download it from Cisco) Posted Image