What's new

Which PS3 should I get? (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
I am waiting for a 1080p display to be installed in a couple of weeks and whilst I wait for the S550 to be released, I was going to get a PS3 to use. I'm not so concerned about 7.1 surround sound with it, but I will be moving it to a gaming room later. Basically, is there any difference between the 40, 60 & 80GB versions that might make a difference in the short term?

Thanks

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I guess at the moment if you want PS2 compatibility, you need to get the 80 GB-model (which is not "too much" at all, if you want to download games, demos, photos, etc). You never really have "too much" space..

(link shows that the upcoming 80GB-model is not supporting PS2-games anymore..)

Paul Kemp

Agent
Real Name
Paul
In the UK at least, the 40GB model has a reduced physical size of the processing cores, which equates to the processor running cooler and, by proxy, the fan having to do less work. The 40GB model here is a 'quieter' machine - if this matters :)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That sucks. I want the PS3 with SACD playback capability. I just saw the story about the price reduction and I was happy to wait. But if it's just a 40gb model with a bigger hard drive and no other 80gb features...I may not get one at all.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Maybe...

I haven't looked real hard, but it doesn't even seem like the current 80 is that easily available. At least not at the big box stores. Is it mostly a gaming boutique item?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I guess you could get the "current" 80gb model now when you can. I´m sure there are places to get it.

What comes to Europe and 40GB-models, I have read some comments about the "fan noise" with those also. But yes, there seems to models that are more "quieter" I guess, I´m just not sure how to identify those from the rest...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm worried about SACD support myself. Since I got the PS3, I've invested in quite a few SACD and ofter paid a significant price for them. Does this mean that the "Current" PS3 model that can play SACDs and has PS2 support will be officially discontinued? If something happens to my current machine, will those SACDs I bought pretty much be useless. Also, it seems hard to believe that there will not be a machine available that will not support PS2. Does anyone have any more info?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you're really concerned about SACD, Oppo's players are great and cheap, and they play DVD-A, too. In fact, there's the 981 on woot.com today (7/16) for $99 (unless it's sold out).

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
With the movie and video service going live last night, another 40GB of disc space might come in quite handy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If I did need to go that route, it might be a problem for my receiver if there are no more digital inputs available.

But like I said, is Sony really going to eliminate all backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1? Wikipedia says the current 80gb model is still in production and I want that as well if I ever had to replace my current machine.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It all depends on what you want to use the PS3 for.

If you want more complete PS2 and PSOne compatibility, then you will want to search Amazon or Ebay for a used 60gb model. The 60 gb had both hardware and software emulation for PS2. It also has 4 USB ports in front and a card reader, which I find really handy for viewing photos off my camera, as well as SACD playback over HDMI. This is the model I have.

The current 80gb, which is almost impossible to find, has the same "shell" as the 60 gb, but is less PS2 compatible due to software only emulation. Sony may have also removed SACD playback, but I am not sure.

The current 40gb is not PS2 compatible, does not have SACD playback, and only has 2 USB ports in front and no card reader (you may be able to use an external card reader on the USB port). This is the model I recommend for most people who don't need a card reader and are not interested in PS2 compatibility. If you are concerned about the small hard drive on this model, you can easliy replace it with almost any 2.5-inch SATA drive, and I've seen 250 gb drives for around $100.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That's why I don't consider HD size when choosing a PS3. Spending an extra $100 on the 80G model makes little sense if disc size is the only reason.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

No. The currently shipping PS3 configs come with (1) SixAxis controller.

The 80 gb "core" system coming out in Sept will be the first one to include a Dual Shock controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks