Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Holiday Collection Volume 2

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,569 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 02:55 AM

Timeless Film Favorites in New Holiday Gift Sets

All Mine To Give ~ Holiday Affair
~ It Happened on 5th Avenue ~ Blossoms in the Dust

Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, Greer Garson Star in Digitally Remastered Movies All New To DVD
Burbank, Calif. July 14, 2008 – A new group of timeless film favorites will bring extra sparkle to the holidays with the introduction of Warner Bros. Classic Holiday Collection Volume 2. This latest group of highly requested titles which are finally making their DVD debut includes All Mine to Give, Holiday Affair and It Happened on 5th Avenue along with a special bonus disc Blossoms in the Dust. The films will be available both as a festive boxed gift set for $29.98 SRP and individually for $19.97 (Blossoms in the Dust will only be included as part of the collection).
Also available will be the Warner Bros. Holiday Collection Volume 1 ($29.98 SRP) which includes Boys Town, A Christmas Carol and Christmas in Connecticut and a new bonus disc of The Singing Nun, which is exclusive to the collection. All are repackaged in a new slipcase for a comprehensive holiday line look with Volume 2.

About the Films

All Mine To Give (1957)

A touching drama, All Mine To Give tells the sad story of six pioneer children who struggle to stay together on Christmas Day following the deaths of their parents. It stars Oscar® nominee Patty McCormack (The Bad Seed) and Oscar nominee Glynnis Johns (Mary Poppins). With Emmy® winner Ellen Corby ("The Waltons").

Holiday Affair (1949)

This classic Christmas romantic comedy stars Janet Leigh (Psycho, Touch of Evil) as a poor young widow torn between a boring successful businessman and a romantic ne'er-do-well. Oscar nominee Robert Mitchum (Cape Fear, Crossfire) and Wendell Corey (Rear Window, Sorry, Wrong Number) co-star.

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947)

This screwball comedy, nominated for an Oscar® for Original Story, is about a hobo and friends who move into a mansion while the owners are out of town for their Christmas holiday. The film was directed by Roy Del Ruth and stars Don DeFore (TV’s “Hazel”) and Ann Harding (Man in the Gray Flannel Suit).

Blossoms in the Dust (1941)

Greer Garson (Mrs. Miniver, Goodbye Mr. Chips) and Walter Pidgeon (Mrs. Miniver, How Green Was My Valley) star in this stirring, true story of Edna Gladney, a woman who devoted her life to finding homes for unwanted infants. Felix Bressart co-stars. The film was nominated for four Academy Awards,® winning for Best Art Direction. Directed by Mervyn LeRoy.

Warner Bros. Classic Holiday Collection
Street Date: November 11, 2008
$29.98 SRP
$19.97 SRP (Individual Titles)
All Films Are Not Rated

All Mine to Give
Color
Run Time: 103 minutes

Holiday Affair
B & W
Run Time: 87 minutes
It Happened on 5th Ave.
B & W
Run Time: 116 minutes
Bonus Disc Blossoms in the Dust
Color
Run Time: 99 minutes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 07:54 AM

Savant reviews Blossoms in the Dust from vol. 2 - such a beautiful, heart-warming movie.

To think I have to wait until Christmas to receive this great set !!!
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#3 of 12 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 07 2008 - 07:59 AM

My review will probably come a little after street date. Warner has a ton of stuff slated for this Tuesday. At this point I can say that the presentation of "Blossoms in the Dust" (the one title exclusive to the collection) is a bit disappointing. Faded inconsistent color, high contrast, excessive grain, etc. It is nice to have it on DVD, but I wish it looked better.

Also, I was a bit alarmed when the DVD case for "It Happened on 5th Avenue" said that it would be in color, but thankfully, this was a mis-print, and it is in black and white as it was originally produced.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#4 of 12 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 11:24 AM

I haven't liked most of the classic movies released lately, but I am looking forward to this collection. It will be a complete blind buy. I hope I enjoy it.

#5 of 12 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 03:39 AM

I wish Warner would release Blossoms separately... is it me or does this movie not fit in the set considering a horrible thing happens on Christmas in the movie?

Is the set worth a blind buy?
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#6 of 12 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,885 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 08 2008 - 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
My review will probably come a little after street date. Warner has a ton of stuff slated for this Tuesday. At this point I can say that the presentation of "Blossoms in the Dust" (the one title exclusive to the collection) is a bit disappointing. Faded inconsistent color, high contrast, excessive grain, etc. It is nice to have it on DVD, but I wish it looked better.

Also, I was a bit alarmed when the DVD case for "It Happened on 5th Avenue" said that it would be in color, but thankfully, this was a mis-print, and it is in black and white as it was originally produced.

Regards,
Yes, I just received my boxset and sampled a couple of titles.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 12 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeM
I haven't liked most of the classic movies released lately, but I am looking forward to this collection. It will be a complete blind buy. I hope I enjoy it.

I would say you will definitely enjoy this set if you enjoy truly rewarding feel-good movies. Two are comedies and two are dramas, all decidedly celebrating the importance of kindness (without becoming mawkish about it) and the joy of giving.

Holiday Affair is one of my 20 favorite films ever - a totally delightful, uplifting, winning concoction with a very charismatic romantic comedy turn by Mitchum as a perceptive wanderer who changes war widow Janet Leigh's life upside down. Great chemistry between him and Janet Leigh and the young actor who plays her son. Predictable but so engaging, that it never matters. Harry Morgan has an hilarious bit as a most perplexed judge. To me, the holiday season could never be complete without it.

Blossoms in the Dust is a heart-warming film if there ever was one, all about adoption. Even if the color is apparently weaker than expected, nothing can dim the beauty of this film. I guess that along with The Singing Nun (in the revamped vol. 1), this was included in a Holiday set because it certainly exemplifies the joy of giving, through the Garson and Pidgeon characters, without actually being a Christmas film. And Garson & Pidgeon never worked their combined magic so well. This is by far the most sentimental of all 4 films.

It Happened on 5th Avenue is a neglected little gem with a story in the Capra style. If you enjoy You Can't Take it with You, you will probably love this too, bearing in mind it was a Monogram film, thus not entitled to much of a budget. Not a great film, but a disarming one at any rate. Victor Moore is simply delightful as the kind-hearted hobo who changes the lives of various people. There are even some timely songs in it. Sole complaint: singing was dubbed in most Monogram films and even singer Gale Storm suffered that fate in this film!

All Mine to Give is a warm-hearted, genuinely moving story of a close-knit family facing obstacles together in the pioneer days. If you enjoy sentimental family-themed holiday stories (think Meet Me in St. Louis or Little Women), chances are you will find much to enjoy in this poignant film.

Just my two cents worth of glowing appreciation for these films Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#8 of 12 KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 08:23 AM

DVD Beaver has a review up. Honestly the color for Blossoms looks horrible. It is really faded, but it is still a great movie!

Warner Brothers Classic Holiday Collection, Vol. 2
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#9 of 12 BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 10:28 AM

I might just go for Holiday Affair, being a fan of Robert Mitchum. Can't stand mushy, sentimental fare.

#10 of 12 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 02:30 PM

"Holiday Affair" looks pretty awful on DVD. The whole thing looks dupey. It is not flagged for progressive video, but my player managed to figure it out and not exhibit combing. Others may have to adjust their player manually to video mode. I really like the movie, though. Mitchum and Leigh have great on-screen chemistry. As far as mushy sentimental fare goes,"Blossoms in the Dust" amps up the melodrama a bit too much for my tastes, but "All Mine to Give" really got me in the gut. The last third of the movie is very emotional, but it is played in an understated matter of fact way that is very effective and not what I expected based on the early parts of the film. My review should be finished and posted sometime tomorrow.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 12 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 10:34 AM

Well, both Karine & Ken seemed to like these movies. Can't wait for my copy to arrive... along with the Homefront collection.

#12 of 12 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
...My review should be finished and posted sometime tomorrow.
Well, I went to post it yesterday, but the Forum had disappeared. Posted Image Now that we are back in business (Thanks, Parker!), I have posted it at this link:

http://www.hometheat....n-vol-2-a.html

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow