Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: Sony launches Martini Movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 02:51 AM

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Launches

Martini Movies

New Label of Hip and Iconic Films for the Cool Film Lover

First Slate includes The New Centurions, The Anderson Tapes, The Garment Jungle, Affair in Trinidad and $ (Dollars)

For the First Time on DVD in the U.S. on September 23, 2008

Culver City, CA (July 14, 2008) – No matter the decade, there’s a place where icons, idols and the infamous flock for bottomless drinks and over-the-top trysts. Now Sony Pictures Home Entertainment invites you back to that place with an intriguing selection of MARTINI MOVIES. Making their U. S. DVD debut in this collection are such cutting-edge films as The New Centurions, The Anderson Tapes, The Garment Jungle, Affair in Trinidad and $(Dollars). The titles in the MARTINI MOVIES collection will be available individually for an SRP of $19.94 each.

Straight men and con artists, radicals and revolutionaries, flacks and scabs: they’re all here, shooting the breeze, working the room , cursing the past and toasting the future. These MARTINI MOVIES feature the work of some of the finest actors and directors of the past fifty years and take us from the dawn of Hollywood to 1970’s Las Vegas con-games.

The New Centurions, based on the debut novel by best-selling author Joseph Wambaugh, is directed by Academy Award® winner Richard Fleischer (1947 Best Feature Documentary, Design for Death; Soylent Green) and stars Academy Award® winner George C. Scott (1971 Best Actor, Patton; Dr. Strangelove) and Academy Award® nominee Jane Alexander (Best Actress in a Leading Role 1984 Testament, 1974 The Great White Hope; Best Actress in a Supporting Role 1980 Kramer vs. Kramer, 1977 All the President’s Men). The Anderson Tapes, based on a novel by award-winning mystery novelist Lawrence Sanders, is directed by Academy Award® nominee Sidney Lument (Best Director, 1983 The Verdict, 1977 Network, 1976 Dog Day Afternoon, 1958 Twelve Angry Men) and stars Academy Award® winner Sean Connery (1988 Best Supporting Actor, The Untouchables; Dr. No, Goldfinger) and Academy Award® nominee Dyan Cannon (Best Actress in a Supporting Role 1970 Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, 1980 Heaven Can Wait). The Garment Jungle, a behind the scenes look at the famed New York City garment district, directed by Vincent Sherman (Mr. Skeffington, Old Acquaintance), stars Academy Award® nominees Lee J. Cobb (Best Actor in a Supporting Role 1955 On the Waterfront, 1959 The Brothers Karamazov) and Robert Loggia (1986 Best Actor in a Supporting Role Jagged Edge). Affair in Trinidad, a steamy film nor set in the Carribean, also directed by Vincent Sherman, stars Rita Hayworth (Gilda, Pal Joey) and Glenn Ford (Gilda, Superman). $ (Dollars), a quirky heist comedy, was directed Academy Award® winner Richard Brooks (1961 Best Adapted Screenplay Elmer Gantry; In Cold Blood) and stars Academy Award® winners Warren Beatty (1982 Best Director Reds; Bonnie and Clyde) and Goldie Hawn (1970 Best Actress in a Supporting Role Cactus Flower; Private Benjamin).

Synopses
THE NEW CENTURIONS (1972)
Rookie cop Roy Fehler (Stacy Keach) and seasoned veteran Andy Kilvinski (George C. Scott) patrol the worst ghettos of Los Angeles. Cruising the hood, they bravely face off with hookers, gangsters, druggies and bank robbers. However, when his partner and best friend retires, Fehler discovers how good cops can sometimes turn bad.

THE ANDERSON TAPES (1971)
When Duke Anderson (Sean Connery) gets out of the cooler, he discovers the mother lode in his rich girlfriend’s (Dyan Cannon) ritzy apartment building. With help from a safecracker (Christopher Walken), a decorator and a thug, Duke might be able to pull off the greatest heist yet. What he doesn’t know if that someone is watching his every move and beating him at his own game.

THE GARMENT JUNGLE (1957)
On the mean streets of the garment district in New York City, Alan Mitchell (Kerwin Matthews) discovers that the dress business owned by his father (Lee J. Cobb) is being controlled by the mob. Alan must join forces with rebellious labor union leaders in order to save his family’s company from thugs.

AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD (1952)
Rita Hayworth portrays a dancer who, at the cost of damaging her relationship with leading man Glenn Ford, secretly agrees to work in cahoots with the police in an attempt to extract information from a gang of international spies.

$ (DOLLARS) (1971)
The stakes are high when a high-class hooker, Dawn Divine (Goldie Hawn) and a handsome con man, Joe Collins (Warren Beatty), team up for a Hamburg bank heist. They set their targets on the secret stashes of a shady army sergeant, a German drug dealer and a Vegas mobster. But when the crooks realize they’ve been double-crossed, Dawn and Joe must run for their lives in order to keep the loot.

MARTINI MOVIES DVDS INCLUDE “MARTINI MINUTES”
How to Hold Your Liquor
How to Pull Off a Heist
How to Play the Leading Lady
How to Play the Leading Man

The New Centurions is directed by Richard Fleischer and written by Sterling Silliphant, based on a novel by Joseph Wambaugh. With George C. Scott, Stacy Keach and Jane Alexander.

The Anderson Tapes is directed by Sidney Lumet and written by Frank Pierson, based on a novel by Lawrence Sanders. With Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon, Martin Balsam and Christopher Walken.

The Garment Jungle is directed by Vincent Sherman and written by Harry Kleiner, based on articles by Lester Velie. With Lee J. Cobb, Kerwin Mathews, Gia Scala, Richard Boone and Robert Loggia.

Affair in Trinidad is directed by Vincent Sherman and written by James Gunn, Oscar Saul, Berne Giler and Virginia Van Upp. With Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford.

$(Dollars) is directed and written by Richard Brooks. With Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn.

"Academy Award®" and "Oscar®" are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

THE NEW CENTURIONS
DVD Catalog #:
DVD UPC Code:
043396-26805-0
DVD Order Date:
8/21/08
DVD SLP:
$19.94
Running Time
103 minutes
Rating
R

THE ANDERSON TAPES
DVD Catalog #:
DVD UPC Code:
043396-26807-4
DVD Order Date:
8/21/08
DVD SLP:
$19.94
Running Time
98 minutes
Rating
PG

THE GARMENT JUNGLE
DVD Catalog #:
DVD UPC Code:
043396-26809-8
DVD Order Date:
8/21/08
DVD SLP:
$19.94
Running Time
88 minutes
Rating
NR

AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD
DVD Catalog #:
DVD UPC Code:
043396-28203-2
DVD Order Date:
8/21/08
DVD SLP:
$19.94
Running Time
98 minutes
Rating
NR

$ (DOLLARS)
DVD Catalog #:
DVD UPC Code:
043396-26880-7
DVD Order Date:
8/21/08
DVD SLP:
$19.94
Running Time
121 minutes
Rating
R

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 03:07 AM

Fabulous!!! Looking forward to Affair in Trinidad especially!!! Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 01:33 PM

Please don't get me wrong. I'm very happy to see such titles as The New Centurions, The Anderson Tapes, and Dollars coming to DVD. But "cutting-edge" titles?
Pleeeeze!
Bill Parisho

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 12:59 AM

This is excellent news!! I hope this line is successful.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 19 2008 - 01:50 AM

DVD Empire and Movies Unlimited are taking preorders for NICKELODEON on the same date. $, THE NEW CENTURIONS, and THE ANDERSON TAPES were certainly "cutting edge" in the context of the Seventies...at least because of the source novels for the latter two. Perhaps "Dawn of Hollywood" refers to NICKELODEON but "Las Vegas con-games"? $ is set in Germany!!!
Charles Hoyt

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   BrianRi

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted July 21 2008 - 07:00 PM

None of these movies are "cool" or "hip" whatever the hell that means (usually means "dated" to me).

God save me from "cool", "hip", and "iconic" movies!

Wait a minute...Car Wash...now there's a cool, hip, and iconic movie. Come to think of it, also The Wiz (dang, that movie is so cool I have to wear three pairs of thermal underwear to keep my testicles from freezing).

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted September 16 2008 - 11:18 AM

DVD Beaver has a review up for Affair in Trinidad.

BTW am I the only one that thinks the cover art is awful?

Affair in Trinidad - Rita Hayworth Glenn Ford
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted September 16 2008 - 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRi
None of these movies are "cool" or "hip" whatever the hell that means (usually means "dated" to me).

These films weren't cool back then and they aren't cool now. I'm not sure what Martini Movies might be but these ain't them.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 19 2008 - 01:23 AM

Affair in Trinidad is a must. I am a big fan of Hayworth and Ford. I might also grab The Garment Jungle.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted September 19 2008 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d
These films weren't cool back then and they aren't cool now. I'm not sure what Martini Movies might be but these ain't them.

But most are good movies, and if it means this is the only way these library titles can come out (by claiming they are cool and hip) then I am not complaining. (:

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted September 20 2008 - 03:15 AM

They could market them as Milkshake Movies for all I care. I'm just glad Columbia is finally dipping into their catalogue.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted September 20 2008 - 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T
They could market them as Milkshake Movies for all I care. I'm just glad Columbia is finally dipping into their catalogue.

Ditto!!! Who cares what the name of the series is, as long as the films are coming! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image I am SO thrilled that Sony is working on its catalog titles - best news of the year Posted Image

By the way, DVD Savant's review of The Garment Jungle is here
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 20 2008 - 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
Ditto!!! Who cares what the name of the series is, as long as the films are coming! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image I am SO thrilled that Sony is working on its catalog titles - best news of the year Posted Image

By the way, DVD Savant's review of The Garment Jungle is here
There you go....

I wanted to buy "Affair in Trinidad" and "The Garment Jungle", but I don't like the pricing at Amazon so I'll wait for a sale. I know DDD has them for a little over $14 so I might buy it there or just wait for a later time.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted September 20 2008 - 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T
True.

But on the other hand, if they had nicer cover art that did the films justice, then they may sell more to blind buyers, which will make them more money, which will encourage them to release another swag of titles early next year.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 21 2008 - 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
True.

But on the other hand, if they had nicer cover art that did the films justice, then they may sell more to blind buyers, which will make them more money, which will encourage them to release another swag of titles early next year.
I want to see some marketing data which shows that cover art negatively affects sales? And I'm not talking about a few "hardcore" cover art proponents.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted September 22 2008 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I want to see some marketing data which shows that cover art negatively affects sales? And I'm not talking about a few "hardcore" cover art proponents.

I'm sure you're not naive enough to expect that someone's going to be providing internal marketing data for you Robert ... as well as trying to prove a negative. But turn it around to ask ... can cover art positively increase sales? The answer is a firm yes.

Anybody that has been able to endure my posts over the years knows that I'm no fan of marketing gimmicks and packaging, but even I have to admit that cover art can make a difference.

For example, in the distilled spirits (a.k.a. booze) industry changing the booze is often impossible and if possible the single best way to end a marketing guy's career. Changing the bottle is possible but quite costly so the big liquor companies make many bottle labels changes each and every year.

So, with the exact same booze, the same bottle, same ad spend, same ad campaign, same shelf price AND just with a different label some products experience SIGNIFICANT double digit growth in categories where a 2 percent shift year-to-year is a big deal. And they do it in categories that are declining, meaning that the sales did NOT come from new consumers but came from taking sales from another product in that category.

So whether one considers a bottle label better or DVD cover art better is quite subjective, results are not.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 05:38 AM

The 2 releases I ordered, AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD and THE GARMENT JUNGLE are being mailed to me from Amazon right now. Though I realize it is therefore too early to ask this but when is the next batch of Martini movies being released and does anyone have any idea as to what they will be?

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 06:01 AM

Over the years, I've noticed that, in general, Sony's DVD covers are substandard when compared to the other studios. I've never understood the reason for that.

Warner's been the gold standard for years. Fox used to be almost as bad as Sony, but have exponentially improved over the past few years. Paramount, Universal and MGM can be hit-or-miss. But Sony invariably trails the pack.

BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 22 2008 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d
I'm sure you're not naive enough to expect that someone's going to be providing internal marketing data for you Robert ... as well as trying to prove a negative. But turn it around to ask ... can cover art positively increase sales? The answer is a firm yes.

People voice opinions all the time without having any concrete evidence to back it up. The total negative effect on sales is something I conceded about cover art, but to what degree is the question. I would hope the studios would have some marketing data that reveals the effect is minimal, if not then they're obviously making a mistake releasing product without good cover art.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 03:03 PM

I received The New Centurions today; the cover art looks even more public domain-like in real life.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow