Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Bros Holiday Collections 11/11/08

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted July 13 2008 - 08:20 PM

From DVDTimes

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 13 2008 - 08:40 PM

I hate to be churlish, but I'm sure there will be fans of 'The Singing Nun' (of which I'm not one, I have to admit) who already have the first collection who will be slightly miffed at that bit of marketing genius. As for the second, I'll buy it simply for 'Holiday Affair'.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted July 13 2008 - 09:09 PM

Pity about BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST being an exclusive, as it would be the one I'd buy. Oh well...

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,451 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 13 2008 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, the marketing hook is strange to say the least, but we're getting these titles out on dvd which is what's important. Crawdaddy

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 12:38 AM

The new collection is fabulous - every title in it is must-have for me, some of my long-wanted favorites are in it (especially Holiday Affair and Blossoms in the Dust) Posted Image It Happened on 5th Avenue is a lovely - somewhat Capraesque -and little-known holiday film well-worth having and ditto for the touching All Mine to Give. And I guess I will buy the first collection (I only had Christmas in Connecticut) so I can get The Singing Nun. I love Boys' Town too so that won't be a problem! Posted Image

I am buying the whole thing or more likely will receive the whole thing for Christmas Posted Image

Thank you Warner for this "Christmas in July" surprise!
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 12:48 AM

Looking forward to IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE, an Allied Artists holding if I'm not mistaken. ALL MINE TO GIVE, BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, and THE SINGING NUN are borderline-morbid, but BLOSSOMS is excellent and a good example of early Technicolor. Marsha Hunt gives a memorable performance in it and it would be great to have her do a commentary but unlikely since it is a bonus disc.
Charles Hoyt

#7 of 21 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,876 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 14 2008 - 01:20 AM

The story for THE SINGING NUN is sappy indeed, but Debbie Reynolds does the best singing of her career in this film, and I'm furious about not being able to have it without double-dipping on the box set (already purchased). Looks like I'll be visiting Ebay.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 01:59 AM

I would say sweetly sentimental or syrupy, but never morbid! Schmaltz moves me to tears in a positive "feel-good" way. More please!!! Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 02:07 AM

Sounds like bad news for those of us who were hoping for a Halloween "Holiday Collection", if Warner can announce a Christmas boxset for November, we should have already heard about the Halloween one. Looks like it'll be stuff all this year from Warner as well ... And, correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't had a Warner Chat this year, have we? I guess the execs didn't want to keep saying "no, we're not releasing..." over and over.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 02:31 AM

Strange that there are no bonus materials listed here. Even if the majority of Xmas-themed archive stuff was used in Volume One, it would still be nice to have a few shorts added, even if they are only ones with a wintry rather than an Xmas theme. Can't complain about the box's price, though!

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 02:56 AM

That DVD Times excerpt over-looked the fact that the sequel Men of Boys Town was included in the first box set , which means with The Singing Nun one would get 5 films, so hopefully they overlooked the bonus features on Volume 2. I liked the Christmas shorts as much as I liked the films, and from what I recall from a list someone posted in an old thread on this site (I think), Warners has quite a few holiday-themed shorts and cartoons in their vaults. Normally I would be bothered by having The Singing Nun released in such a way but finally having seen the film last year on TCM, I had better not say anything.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,133 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 14 2008 - 03:44 AM

You would hope that Warner’s would offer “The Singing Nun” in some kind of mail in offer to the people that already picked up the Holiday Collection Volume 1 on its original release date. Evidently we purchasers did a good enough job for them to bring out a second collection, which by the way is outstanding in content.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 06:16 AM

Yeah same here! I really only want that one! I find it strange that they chose Blossoms in the Dust. I'll take this as a hint that we will never get a Greer Garson box set.
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 08:23 AM

IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE was the first Allied Artists film. That's a nice surprise for this set, as I don't think the film has been telecast in ages. Going by Turner Classic Movies' message boards, it seems that many people have seen the film and remember the plot but not the title. Every December, someone on the boards will ask for the name of the Christmas film about the "hobo and friends who move into a mansion while the owners are out of town," using practically the exact wording of Warner's plot summary quoted above.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 09:52 AM

A HOLIDAY AFFAIR (1949) bows on R1 DVD! Hooray!

Now, if only Universal will see its way clear to finally release its currently-MIA Christmas classic, REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940)*, all will be swell this Yuletide!

* and, if they really wanted to make me happy, they'd make a Fred MacMurray comedy double-feature DVD, pairing it with the Halloween-appropriate MURDER, HE SAYS (1945).

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Check out my Film & TV Blog (established 5/5/15): Smoking Holes That Were Once My Eyes...

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 11:10 AM

Good choices. I wasn't expecting that The Singing Nun to be in a holiday collection nor Blossoms in the Dust. The latter shall look wonderful just for the sake of seeing Greer Garson's flaming red hair in Technicolor. Now I can take that off my list.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 12:15 PM

Blossoms in the Dust??? I wasn't expecting that one. Another Greer Garson on dvd. This movie alone makes the collection worthy. And Holiday Affair also...great news indeed. I've never seen the other two, but I'm willing to. This set is a must buy for me.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 341 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 16 2008 - 06:12 PM

That's a pair of films I would gladly pay for too. ---------------

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:20 AM

COME TO THE STABLE from Fox is one of the alltime great Xmas films and I'm surprised that it hasn't been released yet.
Charles Hoyt

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,571 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 05:56 AM

Both collections are up for preorder at the Warner Bros Store for $16.07 each after current 30% off coupon.
Use code: ANWBTS to get 30% off an order of 2 or more items (won't work on one item). Tax is usually extra. Free shipping on orders over $50.
Warner Bros. Classic Holiday Collection Volume 1 from Warner Home Video on DVD - Special Edition
Warner Bros. Holiday Collection Vol. 2 from Warner Home Video on DVD -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users