What's new

Warner Bros Holiday Collections 11/11/08 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hate to be churlish, but I'm sure there will be fans of 'The Singing Nun' (of which I'm not one, I have to admit) who already have the first collection who will be slightly miffed at that bit of marketing genius.

As for the second, I'll buy it simply for 'Holiday Affair'.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Pity about BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST being an exclusive, as it would be the one I'd buy. Oh well...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, the marketing hook is strange to say the least, but we're getting these titles out on dvd which is what's important.

Crawdaddy

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
The new collection is fabulous - every title in it is must-have for me, some of my long-wanted favorites are in it (especially Holiday Affair and Blossoms in the Dust) :) It Happened on 5th Avenue is a lovely - somewhat Capraesque -and little-known holiday film well-worth having and ditto for the touching All Mine to Give. And I guess I will buy the first collection (I only had Christmas in Connecticut) so I can get The Singing Nun. I love Boys' Town too so that won't be a problem! :)

I am buying the whole thing or more likely will receive the whole thing for Christmas ;)

Thank you Warner for this "Christmas in July" surprise!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Looking forward to IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE, an Allied Artists holding if I'm not mistaken. ALL MINE TO GIVE, BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, and THE SINGING NUN are borderline-morbid, but BLOSSOMS is excellent and a good example of early Technicolor. Marsha Hunt gives a memorable performance in it and it would be great to have her do a commentary but unlikely since it is a bonus disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The story for THE SINGING NUN is sappy indeed, but Debbie Reynolds does the best singing of her career in this film, and I'm furious about not being able to have it without double-dipping on the box set (already purchased). Looks like I'll be visiting Ebay.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

I would say sweetly sentimental or syrupy, but never morbid! Schmaltz moves me to tears in a positive "feel-good" way. More please!!! :)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Sounds like bad news for those of us who were hoping for a Halloween "Holiday Collection", if Warner can announce a Christmas boxset for November, we should have already heard about the Halloween one. Looks like it'll be stuff all this year from Warner as well ...

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't had a Warner Chat this year, have we? I guess the execs didn't want to keep saying "no, we're not releasing..." over and over.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Strange that there are no bonus materials listed here. Even if the majority of Xmas-themed archive stuff was used in Volume One, it would still be nice to have a few shorts added, even if they are only ones with a wintry rather than an Xmas theme.

Can't complain about the box's price, though!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
That DVD Times excerpt over-looked the fact that the sequel Men of Boys Town was included in the first box set , which means with The Singing Nun one would get 5 films, so hopefully they overlooked the bonus features on Volume 2.

I liked the Christmas shorts as much as I liked the films, and from what I recall from a list someone posted in an old thread on this site (I think), Warners has quite a few holiday-themed shorts and cartoons in their vaults.

Normally I would be bothered by having The Singing Nun released in such a way but finally having seen the film last year on TCM, I had better not say anything.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
You would hope that Warner’s would offer “The Singing Nun” in some kind of mail in offer to the people that already picked up the Holiday Collection Volume 1 on its original release date. Evidently we purchasers did a good enough job for them to bring out a second collection, which by the way is outstanding in content.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly

Yeah same here! I really only want that one! I find it strange that they chose Blossoms in the Dust. I'll take this as a hint that we will never get a Greer Garson box set.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE was the first Allied Artists film. That's a nice surprise for this set, as I don't think the film has been telecast in ages.

Going by Turner Classic Movies' message boards, it seems that many people have seen the film and remember the plot but not the title. Every December, someone on the boards will ask for the name of the Christmas film about the "hobo and friends who move into a mansion while the owners are out of town," using practically the exact wording of Warner's plot summary quoted above.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
A HOLIDAY AFFAIR (1949) bows on R1 DVD! Hooray!

Now, if only Universal will see its way clear to finally release its currently-MIA Christmas classic, REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940)*, all will be swell this Yuletide!

* and, if they really wanted to make me happy, they'd make a Fred MacMurray comedy double-feature DVD, pairing it with the Halloween-appropriate MURDER, HE SAYS (1945).

Corey

Screenwriter
Good choices. I wasn't expecting that The Singing Nun to be in a holiday collection nor Blossoms in the Dust. The latter shall look wonderful just for the sake of seeing Greer Garson's flaming red hair in Technicolor. Now I can take that off my list.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Blossoms in the Dust??? I wasn't expecting that one. Another Greer Garson on dvd. This movie alone makes the collection worthy. And Holiday Affair also...great news indeed.
I've never seen the other two, but I'm willing to.
This set is a must buy for me.

Charles H

Screenwriter
COME TO THE STABLE from Fox is one of the alltime great Xmas films and I'm surprised that it hasn't been released yet.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks