What's new

Stargate: Atlantis Season 5 (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I thought the first episode was rather weak, and I dread seeing Woolsey as the commander. I hope that this season is good. Jason Mamoa has already stated this may be his last season.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the first episode. I thought it wrapped up the fourth season cliffhanger in fine fashion.

*** Spoilers Below ... Since this is a discussion thread I'm not using "tags" ***

It was quite a coincidence, though, that there were only four survivors out of the entire initial search and rescue team and three of them were main characters! :)

By the way, it was fairly obvious that Michael left on the cloaked "Jumper" before his ship was destroyed.

I was a little concerned about how they were going to handle Tapping's exit. (I was afraid that they might kill her character off.) So I was pleased that it was handled in a fashion that would allow her to return at any time.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
So Michael has the Atlantean gene? How else would he have been able to fly the jumper?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Don't forget that he had access to a clone of Carson Beckett for over a year. It's reasonable to assume that that that was one of the first things he asked for.

Arild

Supporting Actor

Not to mention, they tied it into the upcoming Stargate: Continuum movie.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Killing her off was never an option- MGM would love to have a successful SG-1 direct-to-DVD movie franchise.

As far as how they handled the 'hand-off', I guess it's better than what they've done before (SG-1, O'Neil leaving SGC for HPS, which was nothing), but it seemed pretty quick and cheap. It make the IOC seem all the more-so of a bumbling international organization (which may be the point). I think better would have been Gen. O'Neil or Gen. Hammond meeting her at the gate stating that a situation of planetary scale required her reassignment - Woolsey being a 'temporary' replacement until the situation was in hand. That would be a better build-up to Continuum, and seem more a likely reason.

Otherwise, a good episode. Not great, but not bad.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Not really. There's no "situation of planetary scale" at the beginning of Continuum. The movie begins with exactly what was mentioned in the episode.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Then set it at the end of Continuum. While I understand it's only a TV show, it's still a weak resolution to the situation.

Arild

Supporting Actor
I don't see anything "weak" about it. And setting it at the end of Continuum? How would that improve anything? How would it even make sense, considering Carter's already back on Earth in Continuum?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I gave it 2 and a half stars out of four.

It was a decent "alien disease ep" combined with a lesson for Woolsey that going "by the book" isn't going to work too well when circumstances are dynamic. Of course, you would have thought that the IOC would have figured this out by now ...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
SGA has been a major dissappointment from the beginning for me. I keep hoping it improves. Maybe it's that SG1 ran so long, but SGA runs into the major problem that it seems to revive old storylines at will, and sometimes they seem very out of place. I'm still having trouble rectifying them creating a second batch of replicators out of nowhere, which seemed like the ultimate rehash.

I think part of what is really hurting SGA is that there are fewer adventure episodes, where they go, discover things, learn some stuff, etc. Instead, there is too much focus on the technobabble and war elements. SG1 Pulled those off too, but you have to build chemistry where the characters have shared experiences beyond those that bring them together.

When SGA tries it, it comes off bad (Harmony is a good example)

I'm going to stick with it, not a lot else in the summer for Sci-Fi fans, especially with 4400 gone. But the scriptwriting on this show really needs work.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
This season has been pretty bad. The episode about Elizabeth Weir....without Tori Higginson was pretty damn weak.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

About the only thing you can say about the ep is that it tied up some loose ends from Season 4.

The thing is, I really thought that we might be seeing the introduction of a strong replicator ally -- perhaps even a semi-regular -- with this epsiode. I mean, otherwise why go to all of the trouble to place the Weir character in a new body? (And that part of the show did demonstrate some strong legerdemain on the part of the writers -- pulling together many elements of the past two seasons in a rather ingenious fashion in order to allow the Weir character to live in a new replicator body. But then they threw the whole thing "out the window", so to speak, at the end of the ep.)

I'm about to take this show off my active DVR viewing list. I'll still purchase the Season 5 DVDs, though. For some reason this series just seems to play a lot better on DVD.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Time after time they have the opportunity to find out how ZPMs are made and no one bothers to ask.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

It would improve it because a more plausible explanation could be shown. Getting told just as one goes through the gate? Especially given what Atlantis accomplished during her tenure - ultimate defeat of the replicators, not only rescuing Teyla from Michael, but recovering tactical information about his movements and plans. Only the most incompetent organization (and given government, not to mention, multiple governments, perhaps one should not be so surprised) would remove a leader after a success record like that.

They did temper it a bit the next episode with the "she's a victim of her own success" line, but the whole offhand conversation would not happen in life, and comes off cheap and throwaway on a television show - "Oh, we can't be like SG-1 and not explain why the leader steps aside, so let's write a 20 second scene so people will understand why Woolsey is now the leader of Atlantis".

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
There is actually a very simple explanation and fits well within the show's history. The IOC doesn't like the fact that the military has control of the Stargate and one of the requirements for the Atlantis mission was that it be lead by a civilian. Once Weir was gone they needed another leader. If we just excuse that they chose Samantha Carter for expediency (rather than TV production / writing), we know her days are numbered because the IOC doesn't like military control of Atlantis. Her "success" but being reckless the whole time just reenforces the IOC's resolve the put a civilian in charge who plays by the book.

I would like to see an episode where Woolsey does play by the book over the desires of Col. Shephard and turns out to be correct. That would give him standing as a leader and that Col. Shephard doesn't always have the right plan. The problem has always been that "The leader" position has little or no screen time in each episode. To make Woolsey (or previously Carter and Weir) a major character requires that the episodes be generally confined to Atlantis and that tends to be the weaker episodes as we have yet another "something went wrong with the holodeck, I mean ZPM" type episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks