What's new

Lone Ranger - S1 & S2 on 11/11/08! (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great news for those, like me, that have been waiting for season releases of the Lone Ranger series. Gord & Dave have the story here.

Classic Media, who is releasing this, is the rights holder for the Lone Ranger and presumably have access to full length and high quality prints. I have an e-mail into them to confirm this as well as asking if the subsequent seasons, including the one with John Hart, are also planned for retail. If I get a response, I'll share.

This set is a bit pricey but hopefully will be heavily discounted. It does have a very nice set of collectibles accompanying it so it should appeal to LR collectors.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Right, I'm particularly pleased they've included the Lassie crossover episode.

I'll probably wind up buying this during one of the big online sales.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Me too. It's great news and while I probably will need to wait for a solid discount, there's no question I'll pick this up. Hope you get a response about the other three seasons, Steve.

Gary "guess I can get ready to dump my home-made dvds" O.

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
great news; ill be picking this up for sure! just last month I was looking around for something like this but nothing really appealed to me.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
As I said in another post, I'm salivating over this as it sounds like a great collection and am very anxious to add it to my own.

Kudos to FINALLY getting the masked rider of the plains back on his horse!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
But will the episodes be UNCUT length? I can accept the fact they'd have to use the snydicated opening credits, but I'm more conserned about the editing.

The previous "offical" releases of the first 19 Color (Season 5) episodes were edited.

I too would like to see a release of the John Hart 3rd Season episodes ("Lone Ranger - The Lost Episodes" perhaps.) Do this as a budget release with less extras perhaps.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
What company is Classic Media and what has it released in the past?

If it is the same company that previously issued those wretched ROUTE 66 DVD sets then forget it!

If this outfit accesses the original 35mm print negatives and produces pristine new video transfers fully restored and digitally remastered then there is nothing to worry about.

Every one is always looking for a bargain. Just how is a company expected to make any kind of profit to pay expenses to warrant a continuance of the entire series? Some one has to support these things and pay the top price!

If it is a good tv show that is well produced on a quality DVD set then I don't worry about saving a few dollars myself.

Jeff T.

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! Yes! Yes! finally! I'm going to buy it being released on november I hope it be released on DeepDiscount 20% off sale in november!

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Excellent news! The 2 seasons of episodes, the extras, the 88 page commemorative book and episode guide is well worth the price for this series. Can't wait to see how much lower the retail price is. I just hope the episodes aren't colourized.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Classic Media - I believe - were the ones that screwed up the Rocky and Bullwinkle DVDs by putting the TV bug in the corner on all the episodes.

This does not fill me with confidence.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Sony/Classic Media released the Lassie 50th Anniversary DVD set a few years ago and the picture quality for that set was subpar...very disappointing.
I hope they are more ambitious with this "Lone Ranger" DVD release.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Classic Media has not answered my e-mail and while I didn't really expect one it would have been nice to get some reassurance from them that this collection was going to be done right.

I will probably join the others above in waiting for reviews before deciding on whether to purchase this. I'm a glass half full kind of guy but these reports of logos on DVDs and subpar quality on prior releases is cause for legitimate concern.

I did get a nice note from the gentleman who runs the Lone Ranger website mentioned in Dave's story. He's also trying to get more info on this set. The website is quite nice and has many great photos from the recent Memphis Film Festival which celebrated both the LR and Superman. Nice to see 88 year young Noel "Lois Lane" Neill still going strong and still looking quite attractive.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Steve, This one will be the bottom line for me. I want this release but won't pay my $'s for sub-std video Q. I love it that these shows are getting released for those that are able to accept different levels of Video Q than myself but after a couple of sets (Route 66, etc), I'll wait for some reviews here before spending the $'s for some of these sets.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
With the price tag, it's hard for me to imagine it would be anything less than a stellar release. I don't expect perfection, but I'm guessing this should be pretty darn good. Make sure and support this release. I want to see future releases, and I'm sure you do to
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

What the hell? I live in Memphis, and have never heard of this festival!!?!??!!!! I would have been there in a quick second, each year, if I had!! They can't be advertising this too well, locally.

And the "new home" of the festival is literally 2-3 miles south of my home. Sheesh!

Well, I guess I'll make plans to be at the 2009 event...or I'll try to. It apparently falls near or on my wife's birthday. And no, shows from before she was born isn't her thing.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Dave, this event has been an annual event for many year. It's too far for me to attend, but my mouth waters every time I see the guest list. It's a bonanza for fans of classic film and TV.

Sadly the ravages of time have eliminated many of the "A" list talent and so many of the attendees these days are known primarily to buffs.

It's amazing that it is not promoted locally. If I had something like this in my back yard I'd want to know about it.

Bryan H - great post. I hope you are right. I very much want this to be all that it can be. With forums like HTF being so popular studios have a much better appreciation for what will fly with consumers in 2008 vs what won't. Hopefully they have learned from their past mistakes (logos on images for example) and won't repeat them.

After the Perry Mason collections, this is probably my most anticipated TV on DVD release of this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks