What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6--This Is The End (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, it has been announced. The Looney Tunes Volume 6 is the final set in the series. Check it out here:

The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour DVD news: Announcement for Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

What a total bummer! There are still many, many, many shorts that are my favorites that are not going to be released in this series. I'm almost sorry that I even started getting these. What a let down.

The more I think about this, the more upset I'm getting. This really sucks out loud.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
WHEW! Thanks Dave.

Well, at least that's something. There are several shorts that are my absolute favorites that have yet to make an appearance on DVD and I was really upset that this might be the end of all Looney Tunes on DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nawww...I never expected them to kill the cash cow. There will always be Looney Tunes on DVD (and/or Blu-ray).

It's just that I like the way these are currently released, giving us a great variety with some new treasures on every disc of every release, and always a surprise around the corner. It will be sad (for me) to see these transition to something that is likely to be more "organized". I know lots of people out there want releases with "just Foghorn" or "just Road Runner" or whatever, but that is NOT my preferred method of watching these. I like them all mixed up, just like I saw them on TV as a kid. :D

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

My only concern would be if the new sets contain stuff that has already been released in the Golden Collections. If so, I have a feeeling that this wil make alot of people upset that they are buying sets that have lots of overlap.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
I will be 100% fine with them continuing the LT releases under a name other than Golden Collection on one condition: Absolutely no double dipping! I paid a premium price for the collections so far because they have been superb quality and, at least I thought, would be a way to get all the shorts without any overlap. If they start releasing smaller collections with half already released / half never before on DVD styles, then I'm out. As long as releases are either 100% already available or 100% new to DVD (assuming at least occasional releases of the latter), then I'm in for whatever they throw at us.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
what hopefully this means is that future releases will have more cartoons without all the bonus features.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Is it possible that they will switch the heading from "Golden" collection to "Silver" as they reference a different era, the second era so to speak?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think they just don't want to release "Vol. 7" of something, because sales decline when they do Volume numbers. Maybe they'll release the rest of the shorts in "year" sets...

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm fine with however they release them or title them as long as there is no double dipping. I agree that the new sets need to be 100% new to DVD shorts.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the above posts. I'm okay with no more Golden Collections, as long the next generation releases DO NOT overlap content on the previous sets. I second the notion that a lot of people who have collected all the previous sets will be very annoyed if Warner goes in that direction.

That being said, reading about the inclusion of ROCKET BYE BABY on Volume 6 made my day!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
How about getting a BUGS BUNNY COLLECTION? I'd love to see all the Bugs cartoons alone, like what's being done with Popeye now.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Well that's certainly good news to hear, Dave. Thanks for the up-update!

I presume then we will either be seeing a similar grab-bag format, but on smaller volume collections as part of the future releases. Or if there are single character oriented sets, one would assume they might concentrate on some of the LT characters that have received light coverage in the first six sets?

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
My mood has just gone from shock to pleasant surprise. If your "reliable industry source" is right, then that means WHV (or at least the movie division that handles LT) is paying attention to what we want. IIRC, they originally had the first ten GCs already roughly planned, and they'd need around 17 to release all the shorts. While I had always hoped they'd continue the releases, this has renewed my sense of hope since we're starting anew without actually starting over (a new DVD series, but without double dipping). I'll also add a lower price point (the per short average anyway) and quicker releases (with the same quality) to my wish list seeing as WHV actually seems to care...

If only my other complaints were so easily resolved...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
From the beginning, they should have done it the way Popeye is doing it: all the cartoons, in chronological order.

If that's what they have in mind now, I'm going to be happy but also mad because it will mean rebuying all the ones I already have!

But I have a feeling they're not going to be doing chronological sets.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'd prefer that they just keep going the way they have been. However, if they aren't then how about them doing releases based on character ? Like the rest of the Bugs Bunny in one or more sets. Or a complete collection of all the Foghorn Leghorn ? Or the rest of the Bugs / Daffy pairings in a collection ? At least those would make sense and people could get what they like and not have to sift through toons they don't care for.

Does anyone know if they were getting complaints about the way the previous sets were handled ? Perhaps people didn't like the idea of having so many different styles, eras and characters in one set.

Real Name
Håkan Andersson

If this would come true, it would probably mean that we would never see ALL the cartoons Warner made on DVD. Who will buy a set with the early black and white characters? Not many, I guess.

If there will be no more "Golden Collections", I think it would be a better solution with "Silver Collections" with the usual mix with characters and production years, but maybe cheaper sets (2-3 DVD each) and less bonus material. And with less bonus material they could have more cartoons on each disc instead. If it's one thing I don't need, it's another documentary (split in two hallfs) where Chuck Jones explains how they did animate the cartoons...

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
what gets me is that they didn't finish up the Taz and Marvin the Martian shorts. The folks at Warners are smart to retool the series for the next batch of releases since it'll now get them plenty of speculation buzz for the next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks