Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Man From U.N.C.L.E: The Complete Series

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 06:06 AM

HOME ENTERTAINMENT FANS CAN KEEP THEIR EYES ON THE SPIES JUST IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON

WARNER HOME VIDEO RELEASES
THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.: THE COMPLETE SERIES
ON DVD OCTOBER 21

Collection Includes All 105 Complete Series Episodes With
Over 10 Hours of Viewing Extras

BURBANK, CA, (July 8, 2008) – It was the height of the Cold War, a time when most Americans had only the vaguest understanding of international espionage. Then, in 1964, the televised spy genre exploded on the screen in the U.S. and around the world when the groundbreaking series The Man From U.N.C.L.E. pulled the covers off of the spy game in what became must-watch television for the next four years on NBC. Now, just in time for the holiday gift-giving season, Warner Home Video (WHV) releases The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: The Complete Series, beautifully packaged in a 60’s style high tech attaché case, complete with all episodes along with hours of viewing extras.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: The Complete Series offers fans and collectors all 105 complete series episodes with more than 10 hours of special features in a 41-disc set. The set will retail for $199.92.

From 1964 to 1968, at a time when James Bond was defending the Free World for the British Secret Service, two brilliant and dashing spies joined forces to combat international crime as agents of the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement. From U.N.C.L.E.’s New York headquarters, cleverly hidden behind Del Floria’s Tailor Shop, they journeyed to every corner of the earth to battle the evil plans of a vast organization, Thrush, and other power-hungry villains and scoundrels. It was a unique collaboration between an American and a Russian.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. represented a series of firsts. It wasn’t just the first successful spy show on American television, it was one of the first TV series to become an international phenomenon, the first to gather a rabid cult of lifelong fans around the world—long before Star Trek, Dark Shadows and other, lesser series gained their following. And, perhaps most importantly, it was the first to demonstrate that American viewers would embrace heroes who did not spring from the traditional John Wayne mold—and who, in some cases, weren’t even American.

The series was nominated for seven Emmy Awards® during its four-year run.

Enhanced content featured on The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: The Complete Series includes:

SEASON ONE:

PFeaturette – The Cloak and Swagger Affair: The Untold History of “ The Man From U.N.C.L.E.”
PSolo – The Original Color Pilot
PBonus Featurette – U.N.C.L.E. V.I.P.S: A Celebration of “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” Guest Stars

SEASON TWO:

PFeaturette – The Spy-Fi Tour: Archives, Art and Artifacts
PFeaturette Film – One Spy Too Many, 1966
PBonus Feature - U.N.C.L.E. V.I.P.S: A Celebration of “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” Guest Stars

SEASON THREE:

PInterview – Double Agents: The David McCallum and Robert Vaughn Reunion
PThe Secret Tapes of Illya Kuryakin: Home Movies from the Set of “ The Man from U.N.C.L.E.”
PBonus Feature - U.N.C.L.E. V.I.P.S: A Celebration of “The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Guest Stars”

SEASON FOUR:

PFeaturette – MGM’s Secret Operations
PBonus Feature - U.N.C.L.E. V.I.P.S: A Celebration of “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” Guest Stars

BONUS DISC ONE:

N Six Original Featurettes:
PCold War, Hot Spies: U.N.C.L.E. and the Cold War
PGuns, Gizmos, Gadgets and Garb
PBehind the Wheel: U.N.C.L.E.’s Piranha
PFandemonium
PThe Music from U.N.C.L.E.
PThe Girls from U.N.C.L.E.
N Official Debriefings: Interviews with U.N.C.L.E. Actors and Production Staff:
PDean Hargrove, Writer, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
PDavid McCallum, Illya Kuryakin

BONUS DISC TWO:

N Official Debriefings: Interviews with U.N.C.L.E. Actors and Production Staff:
PRichard Donner, Director, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
PGeorge Lehr, Assistant Producer, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
PJoseph Sargent, Director, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
PRobert Vaughn, Napoleon Solo
N TV Appearances and Spots:
PThe 1965 Golden Globe® Awards, aired live on The Andy Williams Show,
January 31, 1966, NBC - Winner, Best TV Show
P1965 Emmy® Broadcast, September 12, 1965 – Robert Vaughn and David
McCallum, Presenters
PDavid McCallum on The Andy Williams Show September 20, 1965
PTom & Jerry Cartoon – “The Mouse from H.U.N.G.E.R.,” MGM 1967
NPhoto and Image Galleries:
PBehind the Scenes: Designs and Blueprints frm the Set of U.N.C.L.E.
PHidden Camera: An U.N.C.L.E. Photo Gallery
PClassified Files: Network and Studio Documents
PFor Collectors Only: U.N.C.L.E. Memorabilia
PTop Secret: U.N.C.L.E. Motion Picture Advertising and Publicity

“The Man From U.N.C.L.E. remains one of the most influential series in television history, whose impact can still be seen in contemporary genres,” commented Rosemay Markson, WHV Vice President, TV and Special Interest Marketing. She added, “We anticipate strong consumer response to this collection from the show’s loyal, enthusiastic fans.”

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 09:17 AM

Wow, this looks like huge news. I forget, but wasn't there some issues a few years back about getting this series out on DVD? I am not a huge fan, so I don't follow this series very closely. I might go for this!

I have a Laserdisc box set that had a mixture of episodes that were picked I'm sure for the guest stars being William Shatner, Leoard Nimoy, Barbara Feldon and Ceasar Romero, plus a few other notables.

Thanks for the news Ron.

#3 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 09:34 AM

Warner will be announcing GET SMART:The Complete Series shortly
as well. Same set sold by Time/Life.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 32 Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 01:26 PM

Good news,bad news,better news:
Good news for me: I already have this wonderful set from the Time-Life release.
Bad news: I paid more for this set that you will pay when it's released to stores in October.
Better news: You will not only pay less, but will still get all of the marvelous bonus features that were in the original release.
Now maybe we can encourage Warner to release "The Girl From UNCLE: The Complete Series" (I can hope, can't I?)

Bill Parisho

#5 of 32 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 805 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Warner will be announcing GET SMART:The Complete Series shortly as well. Same set sold by Time/Life.
You just made my day!

#6 of 32 FrosteyV

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 02:26 PM

Could good sales on this series, spur Warner to take a chance on their stable of westerns and PI shows? I can dream, can't I?

#7 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hmm, I totally missed that this came out from Time/Life!

#8 of 32 Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 05:22 PM

This is great news on both counts, been looking forward to getting both the U.N.C.L.E. and Get Smart sets. I don't recall ever seeing U.N.C.L.E but I really enjoy spy shows and that set looks awesome. Glad to know there will be a Smart announcement soon, I'll hold off ordering the set from Time/Life for now and see if it will be more affordable if I wait. Posted Image

#9 of 32 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 05:28 PM

The U.N.C.L.E. set is up for pre-order at the WHV store. It is also at Amazon, but as of now it is much cheaper at WHV. $150 and there are coupons around that will make it cheaper.

Just season one of Get Smart.

#10 of 32 Marty McKee

Marty McKee

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 04:18 AM

Argh. I just bought the Time-Life GET SMART set last weekend, after learning that the general release of Season One was sans extras. I assumed that, if there was to be a complete series set, it would also be without the Time-Life extras. Ah, well, I hope I'm wrong, for the sakes of those of you who haven't bought GET SMART yet.

#11 of 32 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Hmm, I totally missed that this came out from Time/Life!
"Lucky" you!

I have the TimeLife set, so won't be buying the Warner version. One thing I will say, at least there isn't anything added to the Warner set not available on the TimeLife set, otherwise I would be seriously pissed off.

On the plus side, I've already had it a while and enjoyed it. On the minus side, not really, I've hardly had time to watch much of it, just watching the original pilot (in colour) and disc one of season 1, with the edited pilot and two other eps. Oh well.

#12 of 32 Art_AD

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted July 10 2008 - 02:22 AM

I already have this set (just finished the last season a few weeks ago). It is a great series. I wish Warner would have put out a box set this year of the UNCLE movies and also put out the Girl from UNCLE. They know UNCLE sells as they are now putting out the series them selves. I do not see why they could not continued with the other UNCLE items this year

#13 of 32 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted July 11 2008 - 04:58 AM

I would love to see the movies released. Warner has released the majority overseas. The Girl From UNCLE is not a great loss. The only disappointment
is that they did not include the Vaughn crossover episode "The Mother Muffin Affair" as a supplement. Robert Vaughn and Stephanie Powers worked well together. Boris Karloff was delightful as Mother Muffin. Also this seems to be done more in the style of a UNCLE second season episode.

However I don't see Warner doing anymore with UNCLE. I think they were dragged kicking and screaming into this. The real catalyst for this was the aborted AB release of the series. I suspect that they discovered they may not have had total control over the series. Time-Life is a Warner company but seperate from Warner home video. They were looking for something they could give the Get Smart treatment to so a compromise was likely reached.

#14 of 32 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 805 posts

Posted July 11 2008 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisP
The real catalyst for this was the aborted AB release of the series.
Sorry, I don't know what this refers to. Anyone?

#15 of 32 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,353 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 11 2008 - 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*HTF
Sorry, I don't know what this refers to. Anyone?
Anchor Bay (AB) was going to release this but they had to pull the plug at the 11th hour due to Warner Brothers saying (apparently correctly) that they owned the rights to the show.

EDIT: Here's TV Shows On DVD's stories on the show: TVShowsOnDVD.com - News for Man from U.N.C.L.E., The

#16 of 32 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted July 23 2008 - 07:50 AM

I am tempted to get the set. A question for anyone with the TimeLife set - are there subtitles (if not - closed captions)?

#17 of 32 BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumnernor
I am tempted to get the set. A question for anyone with the TimeLife set - are there subtitles (if not - closed captions)?

Yes Ive got the T/L set used 140.00 usd and it does have closed captions.
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#18 of 32 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 02:35 PM

Did anyone order this from the WHV store? It was up for pre-order, but I cannot find it anymore.

#19 of 32 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted August 08 2008 - 07:12 PM

I don't know about the WHV store, but Amazon is taking pre-orders at $140. Deep Discount has it priced at $153, but I may wait until their November 20% off sale, when it should be available for about $122.
Rich Gallagher

#20 of 32 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted August 09 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Richard. I did notice that it was still available at Amazon, but I was hoping to find it again at WHV. With their 25% off code, it should still be the best deal. I guess I shouldn't have waited when I found it on the site and they had a 30% off code available. I imagine it will show up again. I guess I just need to patient.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow