-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

King Kong Extended Edition on Blu?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 05:03 AM

What are the chances of Universal putting the Extended (or both versions via branching) of the '05 King Kong for the initial Blu-ray release?

I held off buying the HDDVD version because i wanted the longer version in Hidef and now i'm doubtful they'll do an extended in Blu-ray due to their (likely) rush to get major titles onto Blu.

thoughts?

#2 of 34 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,253 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 05:25 AM

I'd love to see this with a DTS-MA track.

#3 of 34 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 05:31 AM

I'm pretty sure Universal said it will be going DTS MA on all its Blu releases.

#4 of 34 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 05:37 AM

king kong 2005 is one of my favorite movies. I am all for extended editions for movies that need it.. in this case. I prefer the theatre version.. the extras on the 3 disc set are very nice and worth looking into.
should sound great in DTS.

Jacob

#5 of 34 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,211 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 06:55 AM

When PJ has finished "The Lovely Bones", let´s hope that he takes some time and re-releases (=is part of the process) LOTR-trilogy and "King Kong (05)" on Blu-ray (and some of those older films also!). And yes, Kong should have both versions..

#6 of 34 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
When PJ has finished "The Lovely Bones", let´s hope that he takes some time and re-releases (=is part of the process) LOTR and "King Kong (05)" on Blu-ray (and some of those older films also!). And yes, Kong should have both versions..

Yes, I really wish both/multiple versions of movies via branching becomes common on Blu-ray.

But, I really love the folks who say, " I only like one version and I hope that only that version is released." Posted Image

#7 of 34 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,211 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper
But, I really love the folks who say, " I only like one version and I hope that only that version is released." Posted Image

Yes, they should always release both versions. It´s not that the "extended version" is always better (sometimes clearly is, though, like e.g. "Kingdom of Heaven"). With e.g. "Aliens", I equally love both versions and I´m hugely disappointed if only "Extended version" will eventually arrive on BD..

#8 of 34 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 08:47 AM

That would be a good subject for a thread............

Which movies are CLEARLY better in their non-theatrical version.

I'd agree 100% with Kingdom of Heaven

I also add: Abyss, Daredevil, Troy...........

I prefer a lot of extended versions, but there are few that 80%+ would agree on.
I guess that's why we need the branching.

If theStar Trek II Blu-ray doesn't have the extended version--I won't be buying it. I've bought the movie 7 times already. The blu-ray better not try to double-dip me for that one.

#9 of 34 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 10:26 AM

I cannot remember a film where the theatrical version was better then the non-theatrical version.

I just hope we see King Kong and LOTR soon, I really enjoyed those films, of course the EE versions. I see no reason to watch the theatricals of those again, their incomplete.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#10 of 34 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I cannot remember a film where the theatrical version was better then the non-theatrical version.

I just hope we see King Kong and LOTR soon, I really enjoyed those films, of course the EE versions. I see no reason to watch the theatricals of those again, their incomplete.

I didn't think the extended cut of Terminator 2 added anything important to the film, and actually slowed the pace down. I would say that same thing of Return of the King, I prefer the Theatrical cut as the extended cut seems a bit bloated and drags a bit in the middle.

On the other hand the extended cut of the Abyss is head an shoulders above the theatrical cut. Like wise the extended cut of Aliens gives you the chance to see the colony before the attack, making the devastated facility even more creepy. I also liked the extended cut of Fellowship of the Ring. It filled in some areas where I thought the film rushed a little.

Sometimes a longer version is better, but it can also be bloated and self indulgent.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#11 of 34 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,641 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 09 2008 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
I didn't think the extended cut of Terminator 2 added anything important to the film...
I think the T-1000 glitching scenes were great. I like the rest of the stuff but those scenes are the one thing that I really wish was in the theatrical cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Sometimes a longer version is better, but it can also be bloated and self indulgent.
Definitely but I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

#12 of 34 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,211 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 08:55 PM

Quote:

You´re probably "more is more" kind of guy, then? Posted Image Like I said, e.g. with "Aliens", I can´t say that the "Extended version" is "better". Or "worse". I love them both.

#13 of 34 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 10 2008 - 08:04 AM

I find that if i liked the theatrical version of a movie--i tend to like the extended cut. Hence i since i loved King Kong.........

I think Aliens, Superman, Star Trek 2, Star trek 6, and T2 were better in their extended versions, but i don't know if an overwhelming majority would agree on those.

i agree with the poster who said you have to take the good with the bad.
I love the T2 'glitches' stuff and the 'operation' on the cyborgs head, but can't stand the 'learning to smile' scene. But if I have to have it to get the good (IMO) stuff--so be it.
I don't know who could hate the extended Aliens either...
the automatic guns, the planet prologue, the info on Ripley's daughter, the character bits--all good for me.

I guess if you hate a movie--you'd likely hate to see more of it..........
Ever see the deleted scenes of Superman 4 ??Posted Image

#14 of 34 Jeff McMillan

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted July 10 2008 - 11:53 AM

Quote:

The theatrical cut of Donnie Darko would like a word with you. Posted Image

#15 of 34 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 10 2008 - 06:41 PM

That's a film I've not see, Donnie Darko. And yes Jari, I am a more is more kind of guy. Unlike Douglas I thought the EE of both T2 and RotK were better.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#16 of 34 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,689 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 10 2008 - 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McMillan
The theatrical cut of Donnie Darko would like a word with you. Posted Image
Haven't seen it, but I've heard this too from various posters online.

For me, the follow were better TC:

Aliens
-yeah, I went there! :P Seeing that settlement on that planet BEFORE Ripley's group does take away so much of the prolonged impact we have when they get there, even though the added scenes are terrific (particularly the one with Newt's family) it's not worth the tradeoff. I also feel the movie's pacing is off with the extra stuff...it's just too long, in other words.

Independence Day
-was just discussing this one somewhere yesterday. The extra scenes pretty much add nothing but more running time.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#17 of 34 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted July 11 2008 - 01:31 AM

I would have to add myself to the 'more is more' camp as well.....I actually prefer the extended cuts of all the movies mentioned here and no, I haven't seen the one for Donnie Darko yet......but it's sitting on my shelf waiting for me to watch it. Posted Image

I like films to have a bit more meat on them....even if some of them turn out to be merely fat. I just happen to like more of a good thing.
Recently watched- Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer(1976), The Other Guys, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, Lost: Season 1

"Give them nothing, but take from them EVERYTHING!"

#18 of 34 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted July 11 2008 - 08:09 AM

It's interesting that someone mentioned the extended cut of 'ID4'
i think that's a marginal movie at best anyway.
Alien 3 & 4 fall into that category for me--not so great i'd want to see more of it. (beyond a one-shot rental years later.)

If it's marginal, then yes, adding more to it is likely to evoke a 'that's enough' response.

Most of the movies mentioned here:
Aliens, T2, Abyss, Kingdom of Heaven, Star Trek 2, Superman, LOTR.... are pretty much classics and if you like it to begin with you'll probably like more of it.
There are some cases where it seems they are looking to make an extended version for sequels tie-ins or whatever and they just don't have any good stuff to put back in.

So if you're a big enough fan of a movie to purchase it, on Blu-ray especially, then it seems to follow they should give the opportunity to see more of it.

#19 of 34 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted July 11 2008 - 08:23 AM

To each his own for sure...

I thought that the existing cut of Kong was about an hour longer then it needed to be as is. The whole "Jurassic Park" mid section I found unnecessary.

Then again, there are manifold reasons why Peter Jackson is a zillionaire, and I am not. ;-)

Brian

#20 of 34 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,908 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 11 2008 - 09:34 AM

I was wondering when I would come across an opinion similar to my own on Kong. With most of Jackson's extended versions, I have no issue (in fact, the longer version of The Frighteners is clearly superior), but this was a film that could stand to be a lot shorter.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow