What's new

Receiver Recommendations (1 Viewer)

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Hey guys, I will be getting my first home theatre system! I'm going with the SVS-SBS 01 speakers, and their PCI or PCI plus cylinder subwoofer. Now I have come to the conclusion from research that the Denon Receiver would be the one to go with. Which model would be best? I have a 1080p TV, PS3, and if I could connect my Ipod to it somehow that would be great. I'd like the best sound I can get for 500-700 dollars. Thanks!!

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
Hello!

I would recommend definitely -- especially for your price range -- the ONKYO line (specifically perhaps the step up from my model, the TX-SR606 with onboard decoding of all new codecs) or a DENON...those two brands are really doing the "best" receivers nowadays and I would recommend either brand to anyone. At $500 or less, you can get that Onkyo I recommended and it has 90 watts a channel and all the decoding for every format you would need -- I have the previous model, the 605, and it has the same specs as the 606 but with some different additions...

I want to get an SVS sub, as a side note, as I have heard their subs shake home theaters to their foundations...the 10" Polk I have now just isn't cuttin' it!

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
Sorry...I tried to edit my post to you but couldn't find the edit key!

Paul Kemp

Agent
Real Name
Paul
I would go second hand with that budget, and I would go with either Denon or Pioneer :)

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Let's say I could go a bit higher budget wise, what exact model denon or pioneer should I go with? I want the system to sound better than the bose acousticmass, I will be running svs sbs speakers and their cylinder sub pci or pci plus. Thanks guys!

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli

Did you consider the Onkyos I suggested? Their receivers, and Denons, are good and are a top consideration for most folks...:emoji_thumbsup:

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Yes, I did sorry I didn't ask for that lol. So the denons and onykos how do they compare to yamaha? My friend says that the onykos aren't as good as a brand. Thanks guys!!

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Also, do you guys recommend that I source the receiver online for a better deal or just get them from best buy or something?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you haven't found it yet, it's on the bottom of your post next to the "Quote" and "Quick Reply" buttons. I just used mine! Don't forget to hit the "Save" botton above it.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Major differences between the Okyno 606 and the 805?

My set up will be
SVS SBS-01 speakers
SVS PCi plus 20-39 sub

thats it so far for my bed room.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
40 wpc, 4 ohm stable, 60 amps vs. 36 amps, BurrBrown DACS, Audessey 7 band MultiEQ XT vs. 5 band 2EQ, phono input, IR and RS 232 inputs, detachable power cord. The 805 also weights about 53 lbs. On the other hand, the 805 runs more than a little hotter and only has 3 HDMI inputs. See more here. Use the "compare" feature.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend I go up to the 805 or would the 606 be sufficient for my setup? thanks Gene!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 606 would probably be sufficient, especially for a bedroom system, but I think those SVS speakers have a rather low spl and might require a bit more power. The BurrBrown DACs, beefier power supply and particularly the 7 band MultiEQ should give the 805 a better quality of sound. But it is last years model (denoted by the 80"5" vs. 60"6") and $230 more expensive.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Ah, yeah, I see. I may end up going with the Onyko 606. As I probably wont have it blaring, and when i get my own house I will probably upgrade the receiver.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
On second thought, would the Denon AVR-888 be a lot better than the Okyno 606? Really considering it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I took a quick look at the Denon 888 and it doesn't look like it processes the new Dolby HD and DTD MA audio formats found on BlueRay discs. You would have to move up to the 988/2808 for that. I'd pass on it since you have a PS3. Take a closer look at the Yamaha 663/883 and the Pioneer 1018/Elite 91txh. Not sure if the 1018 is available yet but it should be soon. But the 606 is a real popular choice in the $400 range.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Awesome, I will probably go with the onyko, as alex from svs said I'd need at least 75 watts per chanell and that 606 has 90. So the 606 has all the codecs for hdmi and such?

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
Yes the 606 has all the decoding you will need for ALL codecs including TrueHD and Master Audio...

One thing I have to say about the 605/606 though: the comment about "being especially fine for a bedroom system" is a bit of an understatement; these "600" level Onkyos, from their TX-SR600 years back (I owned one, so I know) up until this new generation are MORE than just fine for a bedroom system -- don't let the wattage ratings fool you. I was running a 600 in a HUGE media room at one point and it rocked that thing at 80 watts per channel...

The 605 is now feeding a living room system of mine in a two bedroom apartment and I can't really crank it up all that much because its power seems to be "there"; of course, I have channel trims in the "+" region and I'm utilizing the IntelliVolume circuit like a power amp's sensitivity gain, but...

Seriously though, I'd go with either an Onkyo or Denon; you don't want to touch Sony unless its part of their ES line; Yamaha made some good stereo receivers but I don't know anything about their surround receivers...they don't get good reviews for "video processing" in the magazines.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Thanks probably going to go with the Onyko. How about the Denon 988 vs the Denon 2808? I see theyre close in price, how are these two units?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks