What's new

Question about modern film restorations. (1 Viewer)

emgesp

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I wanted to know if they take care of all the dirt and grime cleanup, after the film has already been scanned, or prior?

I would think it would make more sense to clean up the film (with the exception of scratches and like) prior to scanning.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
It depends entirely on if the dirt is printed in or not. Generally, the film gets a good cleaning with perchloroethylene before anything is done with it, and theoretically, elements that are used to create prints for transfer purposes should not have dirt on them at all.

But if the blemishes are printed in-- and you're assuming that this is a digital restoration, which makes up a very small percentage of restorations-- the "dirt" must be painted out with computer software.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The only time you'd scan a print, is if you can't find the orginal negs. & most of the time it's easier to find the negs, than find a good print. The neg would always be cleaned before scanning, if it's in a bit of a state, maybe re-washed as well. I think most (all?) of the clean up is done after scanning.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I think sometimes they try to touch the film elements as little as possible, making digital dirt removal the safer option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks