What's new

HTF CD Review: John Mellencamp - Life Death Love and Freedom (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ronsreviews_covers_mellencamp.jpg">

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
Wasn't this disc supposed to be available in a "HiRez" format (maybe DVD-V 24/96 ala Neil Young)?

Edit- Found this on the Concord Music Group site:

The album will be the first ever release in the ΧΟΔΕ (CODE) format. T Bone Burnett and his team of engineers developed CODE, a proprietary audio technology that creates high-definition audio files that are virtually indistinguishable from the original master tapes. The resonance, warmth and presence that has been realized with CODE is unprecedented in the digital era. The CODE version of "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" is a DVD that will come packaged with a standard CD version of the album, available at all retail outlets, at no additional cost to the consumer. The CODE disc is playable on virtually all DVD machines including stand-alone players and drives integrated into computer systems. The DVD's content can be copied into most computer music software including iTunes and can, then, be downloaded onto personal music players such as the iPod. The standard CD is included to answer all possible compatibility questions. Mellencamp commented, "When T Bone introduced me to CODE, it was a remarkable experience. I could hear the music the way it was intended to be heard. I'm very happy the people are going to be able to share this experience in a way that's so true to our original intent."

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hear only provided me with the standard audio CD and this is the first I have heard of this HD version. Those symbols look like the Playstation buttons, is there any relationship?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I read about T Bone's new format in Stereophile or TAS. I like Mellencamp so hirez is a welcome benefit. I will look for the code disc.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

It was Stereophile...I read the same thing. There was a big write up on T-Bone and what he's working on in terms of CODE. Excellent read!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, guys.

Lee and Ron : I'll add the Stereophile piece to my 'stack' of things to read. But in the short term, did T Bone say anything about why he chose this format versus SA-CD or DVD-A? Licensing costs?

So ironic yet telling to me: Mellencamp is formerly of Mercury Records, a PolyGram label that was dissolved under the UMG umbrella when Phillips sold Poly to Universal, a major supporter of both DVD-A and SA-CD. He then switched to Sony, of course the progentor of SA-CD. Yet he is seeing his first high resolution release after signing with indie label Hear Music.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I think it's just because the labels can't get their strategy right and focus on one hirez format. If they did it would probably have to be SACD and even then it would remain a niche. But we will never know since their are not many big releases.

With Wish You Were Here "in the can", one would think Sony could restart SACD quite easily.

Right now, I think the only promising format is Blu-Ray audio only since it can piggyback off the BluRay adoption, but even there $30 discs will scare many away in this economy.

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.

and that's a good thing IMHO.

Every Classic DAD I own sounds fantastic.

Haven't found this one yet.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest it isn't, but I chuckle at how it's being presented as this "new" thing.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Some more news on the Mellencamp release:

John Mellencamp to release high-resolution audio DVD - Engadget HD

Just days after we pondered the eventual fate of Blu-ray audio discs, we're faced with John Mellencamp's attempt to deliver high-resolution audio on a format that nearly everyone in America can handle. Reportedly, the artist's "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" will arrive in a CD / DVD combo package, the latter of which will hold tracks with "twice the sonic detail heard on most CDs." The secret lies within CODE, a process developed by the album's producer, T-Bone Burnett. According to Mike Wanchic, who has played guitar in Mellencamp's band for more than three decades, the end result "is comparable to sitting in on the original, in-studio performance," and he hopes that the release will "bring listeners into the room." Better still, anyone with a standard DVD player can reap the benefits of the $10 (street price) set. It'll be interesting to compare sales figures between this and Neil Young's Blu-ray release, wouldn't you agree?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Regardless of the hi rez version availability, did anyone check this disk out? It's up on iTunes etc now and you can get free previews of most of the tracks if you arent sure. check it out!

Sam

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Don't know anything about the process, but the end result seems to be nothing more than a 24/96 WAV. Maybe there is some voodoo involved in its creation, but as far as my DVD player is concerned, its no different than a DAD.

I have not done an A/B with the red book, and likely will not because my CD player and DVD deck have differing output levels. But both sound very good to my ears.

There are some sonic similarities to "Rasing Sand", but I actually like the SQ of the Mellencamp set better.

What I find cool about the DVD is that it gives you the option of legitimately importing the 24/96 track to your harddrive. And from there, it can be added to iTunes and I assume any other media player. IIRC, iTunes can actually output 24/96 to an external DAC, even a 24/96 capable AVR. That means that if more artists did this, you could build a media library of hi-rez music.

Brian

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall seeing that the next Plant/Krauss album is going to be encoded like this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks