What's new

Regarding upconverting & coaxial (1 Viewer)

Nick Shookla

Agent
Real Name
Nick Shookla
Hi!

My question regards the purchase of an upconverting dvd player. A little backstory on our current equipment:

The TV to be used is a 27" LCD from Samsung (720p), and our current DVD player does not upconvert (but is progressive). We currently use a component connection from the player to the TV and coaxial for the audio from the DVD player to the receiver.

The question is: will the purchase of an upconverting player be worth it at all? The Samsung is only 720p but will there be atleast a little bit of considerable visual advantage?

Also if I were to purchase an upconverting player, is it possible to use an HDMI connection for the video alone and still use the coaxial to my receiver for sound?

The questions are a bit behind the times as I never owned an upconverting player, but rather jumped staight to Blu-ray from our older progressive dvd player that we use the living room.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Nick.

In general, only the Oppo line of DVD players up-convert really well, and this pales to true HD you get from a BluRay player.

And your TV already up-converts all inputs to 720 - so...I suspect you wont see too much improvement.

But you Can use optical or coxial with HDMI with a up converting player. In fact - you MUST use HDMI or the player wont provide the up converted signal. Lots of people send HDMI straight to the TV and audio to a receiver.

Nick Shookla

Agent
Real Name
Nick Shookla
Thank you, Bob! My questions and concerns are answered and cleared up. Thanks again for the response.

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin

I was wondering the same after not seeing much difference between 3 players. One being an upconvert/potential (though only component cables were used- No HDMI). The other 2 were S-Video.

I was confused, as when all movies were played the display on the HDTV read 480i/60hz.

So your saying the TV will upconvert and no need for a upconverting DVD player?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The TV has to upconvert to its native resolution. The problem is, you didn't actually get upconverting from the DVD player through the component output. You only get it through hdmi or dvi. If your TV doesn't have those inputs, you can't upconvert with a player. If it does, it comes down to what does better upconverting, and not all players are the same. A good one, like an Oppo, will probably do a better job than your TV and a cheap one might not. either way, you should get a better picture using hdmi than any analog connection.

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
Thanks.
I may go breakdown and just buy a HDMI...but then I need a new DVD player with HDMI.

With Component, I'll setup my TV to do the up-converting of the standard 480i DVD's for now.

Am I reading this right?

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin

you were absolutely right.

i just found a $12 HDMI cable at Big Lots, went and tried HDMI+ Samsung R155 upconverting, versus my older Component DVD-R LiteOn, and it upconverted and was really a nice noticeable difference.

being pretty stingy i was ready to take back the hdmi cable and player.....but not now!

Its pretty cool happened to have Harry potter copy (2 discs) and could do a side by side split screen.

I did see it only goes to 480P from 480i? How do I see a 720P or 1080i or 1080P?
I know this DVD player doesn't do Blue Ray or HD. But shouldn't there be a way to Upconvert and the TV display will show 1080i?

UPDATE- for any noobs..... with an HDMI cable, the DVD player and the correct disc 1080 was achieved...er...not by me! Harry Potter the new one popped up at 1080....many others at 480.

now about that HD antenna

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks