Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Edge, Goodwill Hunting & White Squall

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 09:14 AM

The Edge, Goodwill Hunting & White Squall were released in the early years of DVD and unfortunately were formatted letterbox 4 x 3. Rather than re-package DVD's already released 16 x 9 these three movies should be remastered in anamorphic widescreen DVD and BlueRay HD. I checked the Australian DVD sites and all three were released in anamorphic widescreen 16 x 9 for region 4. Unfortunately, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many more, The Abyss, True Lies and 2010 to name a few. The studios need to do a blitz and re-issue the letterbox 4 x 3 DVD's in anamorphic widescreen 16 x 9 and BlueRay and stop giving us another version of Lawrence of Arabia that movie wise is not different that the one we own.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,528 posts

Posted July 04 2008 - 01:01 PM

The first three you mention are definitely worth a double dip. Especially Good Will Hunting since it is such an acclaimed film.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted July 06 2008 - 03:41 AM

So true, I own at least 50 DVDs that are 4:3 LB. I wish everything would get updated.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 06 2008 - 07:48 AM

I am also waiting for true Region 1 16x9 of TRUE LIES, ARMAGEDDON, AMERICAN PRESIDENT, KUNDUN, DAYS OF THUNDER.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Steven Good

Steven Good

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 12:32 PM

I own a Miramax Collector's Series DVD of Good Will Hunting that has the back cover listing a 16X9 transfer. If I remember correctly, this silently appeared on the market, replacing the first non-anamorphic release. I'm looking at the back cover now. UPC is 717951000552, but they may be using the same UPC as the first 4X3 letterbox disc had, so that may not help you. But they're out there, and I picked this one up used cheap. Then I sold off my 4X3 version... As for the other titles you mentioned, yes 16X9 versions are long overdue!
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 08 2008 - 12:53 PM

Unfortunately the Good Will Hunting Collector's Series release was mislabeled and still has a 4x3 Letterboxed transfer. I was one of the suckers who "upgraded" based on this packaging error.

I also think they have since corrected the packaging. Guess it was too much to hope they would correct the disc instead. Posted Image

Patrick

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 16 2008 - 03:47 PM

yep there has been a ton of discussion on Good will. there has been at least 3 probably 4 releases of that all non enhanced. there was a cnandian release from Alliance that was enhanced but was said to be a faux 16x9 release. i'll see if i can find the topic. well i can only go back 500 topics in a search for some reason, so the many topics created on good will hunting may be gone.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 16 2008 - 04:01 PM

never mind i fiound a few.
Home Theater Forum - Search Results
facebook.com/whotony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users