-

Photo

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 8 - 11/11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 of 104 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 03:37 AM

Three New Volumes from the Disney Vault Featuring Never-Before-Seen Material Debut on DVD: Walt Disney Treasures WAVE VIII

Quote:
Walt Disney Home Entertainment is proud to release some of the most extraordinary treasures from the Disney vault on DVD November 11, 2008 in a limited supply. All three new two-disc sets of “Destino,” Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow” and Chronological Donald, Volume 4” will make up the eighth installment of the popular series Walt Disney Treasures, which features rarely seen footage presented with updated color and sound.

Destino” began in 1946 as a collaboration between Walt Disney and the famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali. A first-hand example of Disney’s interest in avant garde and experimental work in animation, Destino” was to be awash with Dali’s iconic melting clocks, marching ants and floating eyeballs. However, Destino” was not completed at that time. In 2003 it was rediscovered by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney, who took on the challenge of bringing the creation of these two great artists to fruition. In addition to the completed “Destino,” this exciting addition to the Walt Disney Treasures line also includes an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney plus two new featurettes; “The Disney That Almost Was,” an examination of the studio’s unfinished projects; and “Encounters with Walt,” which addresses the surprisingly diverse group of celebrities and artists who were attracted to Walt Disney’s early work.

Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow,” which first aired as three separate episodes on Disney’s weekly TV show under the title “The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh,” was edited for theatrical releases in England and the U.S. This DVD set includes all three of the original TV episodes plus the theatrical version of the film that was released in England.

Disney fans will delight in Chronological Donald, Volume 4,” which includes 31 classic shorts starring Donald Duck. Each of these meticulously animated adventures was created between 1951 and 1961 and has rarely been seen. All of Donald’s CinemaScope shorts will be presented in their original widescreen aspect ratio for the first time on video.

All three sets are hosted by noted film historian, author and critic Leonard Maltin. Each limited edition, individually numbered volume includes an authenticity certificate, exclusive lithograph and comes in a unique, collectible tin.

UltimateDisney.com: The Ultimate Guide to Disney DVD and DVDizzy.com: Beyond

Quote:
Disney has recently revised its vague press release for Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 8. The only difference? Destino, the 2003 realization of a long-unfinished Walt Disney/Salvador Dali animated short, has been dropped. The Chronological Donald, Volume 4 and Dr. Syn, Alias The Scarecrow are still scheduled for release on November 11th. We're awaiting comment from Disney, but for now it appears that Destino, long anticipated on DVD and earlier planned for release in Walt Disney's Legacy Collection, is no longer bound for DVD in 2008.

Leonard Maltin is quoted at Golden Age Cartoons Forum (quote edited by me for clarity):

Quote:
In brief: Destino is no longer part of the Treasures series, and will be released as a single disc some time later this year. I have been told that the series will continue. I'm still hoping to do those educational shorts, but that depends on whether or not they like my "pitch." As for the edited versions of those 1940s features, I have no input with the company on that front. I just feel lucky I can present the films uncut on our Treasures series!

#2 of 104 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,202 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 03 2008 - 03:53 AM

I'll still pick up Donald, but lame news about Destino if true. Still, I'm sure it'll make it out eventually.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 104 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 04:17 AM

wish they'd throw in the non-Donald Chip n Dale cartoons. Or just a second catch all of shorts collection
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#4 of 104 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,022 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 04:25 AM

With this last Donald set, does that mean all the Disney sound cartoons will have been released on DVD in one set or another?

#5 of 104 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 05:30 AM

Looking forward to Donald IV.

-R
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#6 of 104 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 07:06 AM

I'm beyond disappointed that DESTINO has been dropped.

#7 of 104 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,267 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 07:35 AM

I was perplexed as to how they could possibly have enough material on DESTINO to fill a two-disc set, frankly. A single-disc release makes more sense. I have the same sort of questions about Dr Syn, frankly, but I'm still happy to see it part of the set.

#8 of 104 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 08:27 AM

Chronological Donald 4 & Dr. Syn are two definite buys for me. I lost my vhs copy of Syn in Hurricane Charley & have been in Scarecrow withdrawal for almost 4 years.

#9 of 104 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 11:03 AM

At least Destino will be released.
Disney also started restoration on another unfinished (albeit, not Disney made) animated movie, The Thief and the Cobbler (The Thief and the Cobbler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Too bad they couldn't finish that one also.

Anyway, another Chronological Donald for me!

#10 of 104 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer
I was perplexed as to how they could possibly have enough material on DESTINO to fill a two-disc set, frankly. A single-disc release makes more sense. I have the same sort of questions about Dr Syn, frankly, but I'm still happy to see it part of the set.

Disc one has the Disneyland episodes and disc two will have the feature film edit.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#11 of 104 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted July 04 2008 - 09:50 AM

I'm also disappointed about the loss of Destino - while I was surprised that they had enough material for the two-discs, the feature-length documentaries could have done it, and sounded interesting. I'll just have to keep an eye out for the single disc.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#12 of 104 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted July 04 2008 - 01:03 PM

That really is too bad about Destino not being part of the WDT line. Hopefully Maltin can successfully pitch his "educational shorts" idea as a replacement.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#13 of 104 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 04:40 AM

I'm interested to see if it will be just two Treasures or if they will try to fit a third in to replace Destino. Trust me, I'm grateful for Donald and Scarecrow, but given the amount of resources Disney has at their disposal, there should be more.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#14 of 104 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 08:06 AM

All I can add to the comment above is that there are dozens and DOZENS of made-for-WWOD films that have never been released for home video. Hint, hint, Disney. There's more Spin & Marty (I think??) and Corky & the White Shadow from MMC. There's a bazillion live Disney specials. If Treasures concentrated on WWOD alone, it could go on for another 30 years.

#15 of 104 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 02:07 AM

UltimateDisney.com / DVDizzy.com Forum :: View topic - "Annette Funicello" Replacement Disney Treasure

Quote:
I just received an e-mail from Leonard Maltin who has confirmed that a replacement title is planned to take the place of Destino in Wave 8 of the Disney Treasures series.

In short Mr. Maltin stated "We have added a wonderful disc on Annette Funicello to replace Destino."

In other great news Mr. Maltin was also quite hopeful for the future of the Disney Treasure line with a desire of releasing a Zorro set next November. In his words he stated "Zorro should be coming next November, 2009."

#16 of 104 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP
"In other great news Mr. Maltin was also quite hopeful for the future of the Disney Treasure line with a desire of releasing a Zorro set next November. In his words he stated "Zorro should be coming next November, 2009."
This might be the best news I've heard yet! Let's hope they're not colorized!

#17 of 104 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,112 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 09:50 AM

that doesn't make much sense, Zorro already has season one available.

#18 of 104 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 02:42 PM

Zoro could go a number of different ways. The current season 1 has been colorized so they could fix that mess. Additionally, season 2 is due for a French release later this year, so that could be on tap for next year. Finally, they could go straight to season 3. Personally, that's what I suspect they'll do only because season 3 is something of a misnomer. It was actually only 4 hour-long episodes and not a regular season. Considering the Treasures format, it makes the most sense to me to bundle those 4 episodes together with a bunch of extras.

#19 of 104 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 03:46 AM

Anyone have a list of Annette's films that haven't seen a dvd release? I think they should include at least one of her theatrical films, as well as the "Annette" serial from MMC, assorted musical clips from MMC and WWOD, and a documentary on her work at Disney. Everybody loves Annette!

#20 of 104 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 04:54 AM

I would've preferred another animation release, personally.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow