What's new

More Fox Noir in September, including Boomerang (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
According to Dvd Empire, Fox will release 3 more noirs on September 2nd. They are:
Boomerang
Moontide
Road House.

The Alice Faye Collection is pushed back to an October 7 release.

Way to go Fox!!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Black Widow was the 1st one I haven't bought in this series, but it looks like things may be picking up again. I'm looking forward to Moontide and Road House. Already have Boomerang, so I'm glad others can enjoy it--it's quite an enjoyable movie.

Corey

Screenwriter
Moontide takes place in my hometown. I would've never thought that little old San Pablo, CA was the locale in a movie.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

I have. Ida Lupino in peril, Jean Gabin getting exceptionally drunk (with, if I remember correctly, a short Salvadore Dali-designed delirium sequence), and good turns by ever-dependable Thomas Mitchell and Claude Rains. Not as great a noir as ROAD HOUSE, but good stuff nonetheless.

And --referencing another recent thread-- I've also seen the Peter Lorre flicks THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK (great, one of the best little B thrillers ever!) and ISLAND OF DOOMED MEN (a corny, fun B-pic with Lorre chewing lots of scenery).

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Moontide is a very good film with Miss Lupino especially excellent - I was lucky enough to tape it off TV (with commercials yet!) some 15 years ago on the late, late movie. Wonderful choice for a DVD release as it is a very rare one.

Sorry the Alice Faye films are getting pushed back though!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

How was I able to see them? Quite simple. A certain little something I like to call cable TV, Crawdaddy! :)

MOONTIDE.... Fox Movie Channel (a few years ago, and I taped it; it's also been running again on the channel lately)

ROAD HOUSE.... ditto (though I saw it first on Cinemax in the olden days)

THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK..... Cinemax (late 1980s/early 1990s, when they ran lotsa rare Columbia vault titles, and I taped it) & much later on TCM (one showing, in early 2007)

ISLAND OF DOOMED MEN..... TNT (early 1990s, back when the channel was much more like TCM with commercial breaks; specifically in their late-night "100% WEIRD" movie slot; they even used a clip from the film, of Lorre saying "Get that monkey away from me!!", as part of the show's regular intro montage)

--for a while there, TNT played all kinds of rare Columbia, U/A and Allied Artists flicks that are often hard to get ahold of now (i.e., the full 119-minute cut, albeit P&S, of SANDS OF THE KALAHARI (1965), which to this day hasn't been released legally on any home video format anywhere in the world, ever).

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Lupino: ...no Jefty, no....(or somthing similar)...

Enter: 20th Century Fox Studio Orchestra conducted by Alfred Newman with the great song "Again" ending the film with an enormous crescendo!...

Super film!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't ask about Road House since that has played several times a year on FMC. However, I never seen Moontide on that channel. Nor have I seen those other two movies on my satellite so I must be slipping in my DVR recording. Anyhow, your comments gave me the heads up to record Moontide on July 17th on FMC. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Excellent! Though I already have Boomerang, I am really excited about Road House - I sold the VHS on ebay years ago and I have been wanting to see it "again" ever since. What a great film!

And Moontide! It just played at the Museum of Modern Art last week as part of the big Salvador Dali exhibition, and I was so annoyed I had to miss it, so this is great news.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Already have Boomerang, but Moontide is a must-have... and no, I've never seen it, but I'm both a huge noir fan and a huge Dali fan. :)

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll get Roadhouse too. That reminds me, I still haven't picked up the last 3 Fox noirs....

ted:r

Second Unit
I can't help it...I can't help feeling fool me once....but I want to believe...oh God yes I want to...

Charles H

Screenwriter
Fritz Lang directed part Of MOONTIDE and CONFIRM OR DENY....both credited to Archie Mayo. I'd love to see more of Lupino on dvd--particularly a wonderful but obscure film she did with Monty Woolley at Fox called LIFE BEGINS AT 8:30. Warner Bros. needs to get out her terrific work in THE HARD WAY, THE MAN I LOVE, DEEP VALLEY, OUT OF THE FOG, and THE SEA WOLF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks