Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lost scenes from METROPOLIS (1927) rediscovered !

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 of 44 OFFLINE   Frank M

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 05:32 AM

Sensational discovery in Buenos Aires: Lost scenes from “Metropolis” rediscovered

Staff members of the Museo del Cine Pablo C. Ducros Hicken in Buenos Aires, found the missing scenes which had been considered lost up to now, in a 16mm Negative.

Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung > news

Someone should look for the complete Magnificent Ambersons in Buenos Aires Posted Image

A longer article about the discovery:
“Metropolis": Key scenes from the famous movie rediscovered | Nachrichten auf ZEIT online

and a gallery: Film: The revival of Metropolis | Nachrichten auf ZEIT online

#2 of 44 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 02 2008 - 05:56 AM

This news brings a smile to my face. Posted Image
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#3 of 44 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,478 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 02 2008 - 06:00 AM

Proof that miracles do happen. A little disappointed it's 16mm since it'll contrast with the high quality 35mm in the '01 restoration, but at least it exists. It's amazing to think it's been sitting there all this time.

#4 of 44 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 06:04 AM

If the 16mm negative was directly off of 35mm material and not a dupe, it may yield an image as good. The quality is entirely circumstantial, of course.

Murnau-Stiftung needs a better English translator. That press release was incomprehensible.
-J. Theakston

#5 of 44 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 06:44 AM

=O.

Maybe a complete print of Greed got into the same stash.

#6 of 44 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 02 2008 - 07:31 AM

WOW...I just can't believe it...one of the MAJOR HOLY GRAILS OF CINEMA has been found. The most exciting filmic find in I don't know how long...when's the last time something of this magnitude turned up?

I wonder how long it'll take to complete the restoration and put it on DVD/Blu-Ray/InterActive Mind Beam/Whatever...

I'm salivating at the thought of finally being able to see a complete version of METROPOLIS. And, Kino, youse had bettuh do a native NTSC transfer and not overcompress it this time, or else... :-)

#7 of 44 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 07:54 AM

Exciting news.
Now we'll have to be patient, and watch for further developments. That's the hard part.

#8 of 44 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,319 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 02 2008 - 08:02 AM

Will Kino be able to get ahold of it in time for the Blu-Ray?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#9 of 44 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,478 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 02 2008 - 08:04 AM

Images from the 16mm negative can be seen here:
http://www.zeit.de/o...g-metropolis-en

Heavily scratched, but it seems to have very good photographic quality. Seems like it'll take a while since that's some serious digital work needed.

#10 of 44 OFFLINE   Frank M

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 08:12 AM

Updated first post with links to english language articles.

#11 of 44 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 02 2008 - 09:11 AM

Awesome, amazing news!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Will Kino be able to get ahold of it in time for the Blu-Ray?
It seems to me that since the Blu-ray release was only mentioned a few weeks ago, and since they have obviously known about these elements for a while and were just waiting to confirm everything was there, that the BD for 2009 may indeed be the full restoration. I mean, they're saying that they will be restoring it and making it available for consumers, so it only makes sense.

I really think South America has the greatest potential to find more lost films. It seems that only in the last 15 years or so have they been able to better catalog what is actually down there in the archives. With so many prints going there during the 1920s-1940s without needing to be returned the possibilities for more great discoveries are there.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 44 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart
Proof that miracles do happen. A little disappointed it's 16mm since it'll contrast with the high quality 35mm in the '01 restoration, but at least it exists. It's amazing to think it's been sitting there all this time.

I'd rather have 16mm scenes than intertitles explaining the missing scenes.

----------------
Now playing: Miles Davis - Jeru
via FoxyTunes
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#13 of 44 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 12:41 PM

This is fabulous. First Blade Runner and now the progenitor of Blade Runner (and of so much more). I can't hardly wait.

In related news...anyone want to buy a robot? The Evil Maria, licensed recreation, from Fred Burton Productions. Only $7,500.

Posted Image

Gotta love the way they included a close up of her butt. Posted Image
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#14 of 44 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 02 2008 - 02:13 PM

Maybe there is a lost print of The Magnificent Ambersons somewhere in South America! Lost Metropolis is exciting news especially when it is verified by so many sources. I can wait to see it.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#15 of 44 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 990 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 06:19 PM

WHAT?!?! Oh my God this is such exciting news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Posted Image

If there was one "lost" film, (or a film with lost scenes) that I'd wish to be discovered, it would be Metropolis.
I am truly thrilled!

Maybe someday they'll find Theda Bara's 'Cleopatra' and London After Midnight. ;-)
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#16 of 44 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 03 2008 - 01:51 AM

after reading that is there hope that the full complete 210 min berlin premier cut still exist, i have had the Kino on my wish list for some time, but never got around to it, no here is to holding out hope, that this added missing footage can be used to completely tell the story , that none of us have truly ever seen.

The other problem that i have with this silent is the frame rate, that is sort of an issue on this, because at times it looks as if its running to fast,
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#17 of 44 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana martin
The other problem that i have with this silent is the frame rate, that is sort of an issue on this, because at times it looks as if its running to fast,
It looks like it is runing too fast because it is running too fast. Posted Image
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#18 of 44 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 05:36 AM

This is amazing news. It will be fascinating to see how things that seem nonsensical now will play out in the intended version. It does look like the print is in pretty rough shape but better than than not at all, which is how we've been seeing the film for the last 80 years.

#19 of 44 OFFLINE   Frank M

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 06:50 AM

I have bought the german magazine with the exclusive story and just read it. It's a long story, they printed a large number of frames and described several lost scenes.

The film copy from Argentina has spanish intertitles and is not complete. But the experts think that most of the missing material has been rediscovered.

Edit:

According to Martin Koerber only one scene is missing. Read his comment

#20 of 44 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 03 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hopefully they will fix the frame rate problem, and that last missing scene will show up, did the latest showing in the article give the run time?
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

Forum Nav Content I Follow