Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony releases v2.40 firmware for PS3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 02 2008 - 03:52 AM

Sony has released frimware v2.40 for the Playstation 3.

The new firmware includes:

* For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.

* You can now use the Frame Noise Reduction and Block Noise Reduction settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.

* You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to match the screen size.

* You can now set the PS3™ system to turn off automatically after updating the system software.

plus many more features....

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   CptGreedle

CptGreedle

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 03:57 AM

Awesome news! That is a great update!
In addition, or gamers, it adds in-game XMB and Trophies, 2 really big updates themselves.

With updates like these, it is like getting a new PS3 every time it upgrades! Posted Image
Posted Image

I will check this out tonight. I have some movie files on there I can watch that are in SD now.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 10:01 AM

The 2.40 firmware has been pulled due to reported problems.
Playstation 3: Sony Pulls PS3 2.40 Firmware After Reported Problems
--------
Ted K.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 10:08 AM

Well shit. Mine is already updated and it has worked like a charm so far. BUT, if there are problems so bad that Sony would so quickly pull the update, it would be nice if, you know, they would actually TELL us what the problem is so I don't brick my damn PS3.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 11:43 AM

Damn it, I've got the new firmware also. I'll lay off the games for a week or so to try and avoid any problems until they get whatever is wrong fixed.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 12:33 PM

Dale,

After looking around I found there were just a few people who had their PS3's brick while installing. So if you've got it and it's working fine then there shouldn't be any trouble.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 02 2008 - 03:47 PM

Updated mine this morning, and watched some things on it tonight with no problems at all. Whew!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 04:22 PM

My dad's PS3 was actually one that bricked.

It installed and rebooted, then Says the "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT" and the thing just sits there and waves. Restarting wont' do anything.

I actually had an extra HD drive, and installed it and now it boots fine.

Super wierd, but really really really lame. For now on, I'm backing up EVERYTHING before any firmware update, and definately waiting a while to see reactions.
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
Dale,

After looking around I found there were just a few people who had their PS3's brick while installing. So if you've got it and it's working fine then there shouldn't be any trouble.

Good to know, cheers Zack.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   James_Garner

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 12:06 PM

I would like to add v2.40 also fixes the "flagging" problem found on early New Line dts-HD 7.1 discs, finally enabling the full 7.1-channel audio to be heard through PS3. I could hear a very noticable difference in "Hairspray"