Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

James Earl Jones THE MAN (Paramount 1972) on DVD ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 10:26 PM

Another forgotten milestone from the early 1970s:
Posted Image

I remember my homeroom teacher telling the class that this film about the first African-American president "is pure science fiction." It no doubt seemed that way to many people in 1972, but my father, a history teacher, made a point of taking us to see it, as he did The Great White Hope a couple of years before. Rod Serling, the brilliant creator of The Twilight Zone, adapted a novel by Irving Wallace into an intelligent and dignified film about racial progress, bigotry, and statesmanship. The film also boasts one of James Earl Jones' very best performances. He is a powerful screen presence, and like the character he plays, his integrity is unassailable. I'd have voted for him right then and there if the story were real and I were old enough.

Synopsis from imdb: When the President and Speaker of the House are killed in a building collapse, and the Vice-President declines the office due to age and ill-health, Senate President pro tempore Douglas Dilman (James Earl Jones) suddenly becomes the first black man to occupy the Oval Office. The events from that day to the next election when he must decide if he will actually run challenge his skills as a politician and leader.

In view of current events, I think the world would be interested in THE MAN if it were revived. Although my memory of the film is vague, it seems to me as if the buttons it pushes and the issues it addresses are manifest on the campaign trail right now. What are the chances of persuading ABC and Paramount to re-release THE MAN on DVD?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 10:28 AM

Would the Moderator kindly correct my typo in the heading? Paraoumt should be Paramount. Thanks.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 06:40 AM

Again, would the Moderator kindly correct my typo in the heading? Paraoumt should be Paramount. Thanks.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 02:24 AM

Would the Moderator kindly correct my typo in the heading? Paraoumt should be Paramount. Thanks.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted July 10 2008 - 06:42 AM

Correct the guy's typo, already! Posted Image

I'd love to finally see The Man. JEJ is a great actor in this was one of his finest performances, apparently.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 10 2008 - 10:12 AM

When I started reading the thread title I thought this was gonna be another one of those "has died" threads. Thankfully it was not! JEJ is a great actor, I really love his work.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,199 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 11 2008 - 08:27 AM

My question would be who holds the rights to this, as it looks like a tangled mess. It appears that Paramount was the distributor, but anything ABC Circle would be controlled by Disney now, and Lorimar's holdings are now controlled by Warner. This is rights hell.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,162 posts

Posted July 11 2008 - 04:01 PM

Not necessarily. There would only be a rights problem if those entities were equity partners in the film, which they likely were not. In the early '70's, Lorimar was likely just the two men who founded it and not a full-on production studio as they became when they produced "THE WALTONS," so WB probably doesn't have any piece of the movie. ABC Circle was the TV movie arm of the network, and by 1972, ABC in general was about to shift their theatrical arm to Edgar Scherick's Palomar Pictures. As such, when they did get involved in movies like CABARET, it was more for the guaranteed TV broadcast rights than any sort of ownership control. THE MAN was probably intended as a TV movie, but momentum prodded all the parties to take it theatrical, and Paramount likely bought all rights in exchange for beefing up the budget.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 05:56 AM

Would the Moderator kindly correct my typo in the heading? Paraoumt should be Paramount.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,313 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 14 2008 - 10:55 AM

I never heard of this film. Sounds interesting, Rod Serling was the man. Get it? Posted Image

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,657 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 14 2008 - 11:03 AM

Richard, if you had quietly PM'd a mod I'm sure they would have corrected the typo on the day. Posted Image

The Man eh? Never heard of it, but I do like James Earl Jones, and Rod Serling.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,313 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 14 2008 - 11:06 AM

Martin Balsam and Burgess "Go get 'em ROCK!" Merideth are always good too...

Why ISN'T this one DVD?
I see no problem with that typo... Posted Image

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 11:39 AM

Is Paraoumt a French company?
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 12:09 AM

I have never heard about this one either. I would buy this in a heartbeat.
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users