What's new

Sony's Mike Schlesinger talks; Boetticher/Scott, Toho, Hammer, Peter Lorre, more... (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The HK and Cult Film DVD News blog has published a marvellous and informative interview with Sony's Mike Schlesinger in which he talks enthusiastically about upcoming titles - some interesting stuff in the works!

Look out for news on Film Noir sets from Sony, a Peter Lorre set, the upcoming Boetticher / Scott set and more.

The full interview is here. Note the important message:

"Keep buying this stuff! I know it sounds crass, but that is truly the best way to keep the flow of classic titles coming—by letting them know there is a real demand for them..."

"Besides voting with ones wallet, how can our readers to Sony of their happiness with these releases and their desire for them to continue?"

"They can send any notes to me at [email protected] and I guarantee they’ll be forwarded to the Powers That Be. Even a handful of letters can indeed make an impact."

No Warner chat? Looks like Sony is dying to talk...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,
Which Peter Lorre films are they talking about? Except for his Mr. Moto films with Fox, most of his best films belong to Warner through original Warner productions and some MGM productions.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

"Is there any word on when the Peter Lorre set will come out and what titles will be part of the set?"

"Probably 2010. It would contain CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, ISLAND OF DOOMED MEN and FACE BEHIND THE MASK. That’s all we got left!"

ted:r

Second Unit
Skimming through the article...first impressions...OMG!!!!!!!!!

Boetticher out this fall? Noir 1 AND 2??? Can I contain my joy???!!!

ANY company that releases ANY (preferably MANY) classic films has my full throated endorsement! Sony, welcome my son! Fatted calf, start sweating!!!

Overjoyed am I!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Second Unit

As I've said before, Co. vs. Co. snide remarks are so unecessary. The important thing is the films are released. Blessings to whoever's house does so.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

No, I'm almost certain I haven't; but I intend to.

I'm also going to email Mr Schlesinger with a small wants list (topped, I think, by 'Gideon's Day')

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It wasn't intended as 'snide', it intended as a minor prompt to, well, whoever, that Sony - Mike Schlesinger or Grover Crisp - could be persuaded to take part in some form of contact - interview or chat - with members here or elsewhere.

But take it as you will.

Second Unit

Maybe my cynicism meter is set way to high :D But I will take you at your word...and welcome any Co. that cares to chat here.

gfanikf

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian Friedman
Hey,

My name is Ian and I conducted the interview with Mike, I'm happy you all enjoyed it. Mike is always a pleasure to interview and full of great and wonderful information. I'm just happy my questions did an alright job of getting some great answers. I always like to be as wide ranging as possible, as it seems to be silly to only focus on one area when people often want to know so much more (hence asking about that HP program, which I hope comes to fruition)

We also have one with Media Blasters coming up too, same style (lots of questions about a lot of different things).

I would have posted it hear, but I didn't know if one could post links here. (we also have info on the new Inglorious Bastards DVD, among other stuff :))

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Grover Crisp showed us a clip from the HD master of one of the Boetticher-Scott films Sony is working on at this years EMA Home Media Expo In Las Vegas last week. He used it to illustrate an artifact inherent to the film's opticals (a white glow around high contrast edges that looks like a heavy amount of edge enhancement - exactly like one sees in the Warner DVD for "Giant"). I believe the film was either "Ride Lonesome" or "Comanche Station", but I do not know them well enough to be sure. Other than the artifact in question, which is inherent to the film and would have appeared in theatrical prints as well, it looked quite good.

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken,
I think there's alot of those artifact incidents which are being mistaken as EE.

Crawdaddy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks John.

Stooges fans should be happy to hear that it appears that Sony is intending to release all the shorts. The original goal was by the end of 2009 but it isn't clear if that is still the case.

Ian Friedman - thank you for interviewing Mr. Schleslinger and making this available to your readers. I know your focus was horror, but did any of your conversation (that didn't make it into print) delve into the many B movie series that Columbia has? Mr. S. has been quoted on the classic horror board in the past hinting at possible collections of Jungle Jim, Lone Wolf et al collections.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Wonderful news about the noirs (I hope the wisecracking noir parody "I Love Trouble (48)" will be included)!

I will have to write to ask for more Rita Hayworth movies among other missing favorites.

Thank you for the great interview!

gfanikf

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian Friedman

Thanks

Not really all the questions asked made it into print, but I think at CHFB, he mentioned that they may be in the cards, but I think thats too far down the road yet (except JJ, for some reason I think that is coming sometime in the near future (6 to a year).

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Actually it looks like they still are trying to get the Stooges shorts out by 2009. According to what was said, the releases of Stooges shorts will be accelerating to try and meet that schedule. That would explain the very short window between the release of the second and third volumes.

Great to finally see some news about Mothra, Battle in Outer Space, and especially H-man. Also good to see they're FINALLY releasing Mothra 3.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great news, especially about the Noir sets, H-Man, Boetticher / Scott set, Lorre set and the happiest news of all for me, These Are the Damned!!!

What a turnaround for Columbia, which just a year ago was at the bottom of the class when it comes to releasing catalog titles.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great interview! Lots of stuff for me to get excited about aside from the upcoming Hammer Horror set.

The Boetticher/Scott set :emoji_thumbsup: The Toho set with both uncut OSL and US versions :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: The Peter Lorre set which is well worth it for Face Behind the Mask plus I've wanted to see Island of Doomed Men for years.

and 2 Noir sets :eek: including Human Desire and Knock on Any Door. Hopefully The Dark Past, The Crimson Kimono, Underworld USA, The Lineup, Tight Spot, 711 Ocean Drive, Convicted, Framed and Scandal Sheet will make it in.

Wow. Columbia has really turned things around with their catalog titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks