-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony's Mike Schlesinger talks; Boetticher/Scott, Toho, Hammer, Peter Lorre, more...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#21 of 157 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Great interview! Lots of stuff for me to get excited about aside from the upcoming Hammer Horror set.

The Boetticher/Scott set Posted Image The Toho set with both uncut OSL and US versions Posted Image Posted Image The Peter Lorre set which is well worth it for Face Behind the Mask plus I've wanted to see Island of Doomed Men for years.

and 2 Noir sets Posted Image including Human Desire and Knock on Any Door. Hopefully The Dark Past, The Crimson Kimono, Underworld USA, The Lineup, Tight Spot, 711 Ocean Drive, Convicted, Framed and Scandal Sheet will make it in.

I hope you send all these recommendations to the email address!

The Boetticher and Noir sets appeal to me the most.

I just hope they price they boxes reasonably. I consider under US$10 including postage fair. Warner are usually around US$8 per film once you include postage. Fox are about to set a new value for money benchmark with the Power 2 and Chan 5 sets (about $4 - 5 per film).

Columbia has a history of way over priced classic films on single DVDs. I hope they take a close look at what Warner and Fox have been doing. If they provide good value on the boxes they will probably shift more units, which will enable them to release more.

#22 of 157 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 12:45 AM

I'm not worried about pricing with these upcoming sets.

The Hammer Adventure set cost me $20 ($5 per film) and I've got the Hammer Horror set pre-ordered for $17 ($4.25 per film). I'd expect the other sets to be along the same lines.

Plus given the excellent transfers on the Adventure set I think we're in for a treat with these.
Death before Streaming!

#23 of 157 Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 01:16 AM

Wonderful news about the Boetticher/Scott and Noir sets, but no questions about the impending A Matter of Life and Death release? Glenn Erickson recently pointed out that the R1 release showed up on Amazon and was almost immediately pulled, leading to me believe that it's on the way sooner rather than later. I'm DYING to know when this is coming.

#24 of 157 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 02 2008 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VH
...I'm DYING to know when this is coming.
Take it easy, Mark. A Matter of Life and Death is not a matter of life and death. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#25 of 157 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 05:25 AM

Great stuff!

I was one of the few optimistic people around here regarding Sony's takeover of the MGM catalog (which is strange because I'm normally a pessimist). I knew that it couldn't get any worse though.

I'll definitely be picking up the Boetticher and Noir sets and others will be on a case-by-case basis.

#26 of 157 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 722 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 06:03 AM

Indeed, great news about the Boetticher/Scott westerns, which have long been my 'holy grail' on DVD.

Thanks to John for posting the link to the HK AND CULT FILM DVD NEWS site.

With the comments at the HK ... site following on the heels of Mr. Crisp's recent comments (in a link posted by Simon H.), I am truly encouraged the Boetticher/Scott westerns will in fact be released. I just wish we had an official release date.

#27 of 157 haroldS

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 06:38 AM

If Columbia/Sony owns the right, will Scott's "Tall T" be included in this fall's releases and if so, will it be in a box set like the recently released Stanley Kramer Collection?

#28 of 157 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,434 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 02 2008 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldS
If Columbia/Sony owns the right, will Scott's "Tall T" be included in this fall's releases and if so, will it be in a box set like the recently released Stanley Kramer Collection?

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Over at the Classic Horror Film Board, Sony insider Mike T. says that the Sony set will comprise The Tall T, Decision At Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station. He adds:

The set will be rounded out by A MAN CAN DO THAT, the Eastwood-produced doc that originally aired on TCM. Expect it before the end of the year..

Nice.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#29 of 157 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 11:06 AM

THIS IS THE BEST DVD NEWS ALL YEAR!

I'm so happy that Sony is finally exploiting their vaults! There's so many unreleased classics in all genres, but I'm especially looking forward to the noir and western releases!!

#30 of 157 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 11:18 AM

Great to hear about the Westerns and specially about the noirs.
And I would another one to add my wishes to the remaining titles from the Rita Hayworth Llbray.
Also I would like to Columbia to release some of its classic comedies starred by Irene Dunne, Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Arthur Loretta Young and Rosalind Russell. Also the Joan Crawford vehicle "They All Kissed the Bride" and Ginger Roger's "It had to be you".

#31 of 157 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 12:29 PM

Glad to see Sony opening up... I hope it all works out so that we can get a lot more classics out of them

#32 of 157 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,602 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VH
Wonderful news about the Boetticher/Scott and Noir sets, but no questions about the impending A Matter of Life and Death release? Glenn Erickson recently pointed out that the R1 release showed up on Amazon and was almost immediately pulled, leading to me believe that it's on the way sooner rather than later. I'm DYING to know when this is coming.

As has been mentioned, Sony's Mike S also posts regularly on another forum, and recently mentioned that A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH is coming later this year (no specific date given yet, though), with an intro by Martin Scorsese and commentary by Thelma Schoonmaker, along with Michael Powell's director's cut of AGE OF CONSENT.

Great, great news all around coming from Sony. They're releasing the kind of stuff that I (and apparently many others here) really want (Stooges, noir, Peter Lorre, classic sci-fi/horror, superior westerns...). If only this was the consistent guiding philosophy of some of the other studios' DVD divisions...

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#33 of 157 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires
Also I would like to Columbia to release some of its classic comedies starred by Irene Dunne, Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Arthur Loretta Young and Rosalind Russell. Also the Joan Crawford vehicle "They All Kissed the Bride" and Ginger Roger's "It had to be you".

Cheers for that! Yes, there are some great comedies hiding in those vaults. And I'm so much of an optimist that I will even wish for Columbia musicals...Ah, to see Rainbow Round My Shoulder, the Grace Moore musicals and all those wonderful Ann Miller wartime B-movies.....
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#34 of 157 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 03:11 PM

Mothra, Battle in Outer Space, Rebirth of Mothra 3 are as good as bought as far as I am concerned. Posted Image

BTW.....any chance they may be released on Blu-Ray? Posted Image

Mothra in 1080p. Japanese w/English subs. Who wouldn't want that.......Posted Image

#35 of 157 R-T-C Tim

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 10:10 PM

Well I'm asking for a second Hammer adventure set (Sword of Sherwood Forest, Scarlet Blade, Brigand of Kandahar and perhaps Creatures that Time Forgot) and a war set (Camp on Blood Island and Yesterday's Enemy).

Lets just hope the sales of the current set and the horror set are enough to keep the management interested!
Mondo Esoterica.net - From the Wild West to Gothic Europe...

#36 of 157 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,320 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 02:27 AM

I'll 2nd and 3rd that.
Camp on Blood Island or Yesterday's enemy could possible be a better fit for the adventure set than Creatures the World forgot. A WW2 set seems unlikely since they don't have 4 films available to make a set.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#37 of 157 Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 254 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted July 03 2008 - 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
Cheers for that! Yes, there are some great comedies hiding in those vaults. And I'm so much of an optimist that I will even wish for Columbia musicals...Ah, to see Rainbow Round My Shoulder, the Grace Moore musicals and all those wonderful Ann Miller wartime B-movies.....

I've been hoping for the two Columbia von Sternberg films (CRIME AND PUNISHMENT and THE KING STEPS OUT), and asked Mike about these a few weeks ago. I don't think he would mind my sharing a bit more info, since so much has come out in the interview....as has been mentioned here, C&P will come out as part of a Peter Lorre set. But the bigger surprise is that there will indeed be a Grace Moore set (!) including KSO! Mike says that this won't be for a few years, however, but it's in the works.

#38 of 157 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burk
I've been hoping for the two Columbia von Sternberg films (CRIME AND PUNISHMENT and THE KING STEPS OUT), and asked Mike about these a few weeks ago. I don't think he would mind my sharing a bit more info, since so much has come out in the interview....as has been mentioned here, C&P will come out as part of a Peter Lorre set. But the bigger surprise is that there will indeed be a Grace Moore set (!) including KSO! Mike says that this won't be for a few years, however, but it's in the works.

Glorious news, thanks for sharing this Danny!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
A Grace Moore set, who would have ever thought! Her films were so lovely and the lady herself was Oscar-nominated for her first Columbia musical. And The King Steps Out is such a glorious operetta Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#39 of 157 Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 06:48 AM

As Mike mentioned in the interview that 2009 will be the Losey centenary, I hope Sony will at last release 'The Go-Between' at least on DVD (and a BD would be nice). I've e-mailed Mike to suggest this, but it might help if any other lovers of this classic film could do the same.
Bruce Morrison

#40 of 157 gfanikf

gfanikf

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 10:33 AM

Some updates from Mike on emails to him and Toho

hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2008/07/sony-updates-from-mike.html

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow