What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: In the Line of Fire (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ronsreviews_covers_1991617.jpg">

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great to read that this release is very good, my disc is on the way to me and I should be watching it this week.

Crawdaddy

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Sounds great! This is one of my fave Eastwood flicks and I can't wait to get it in my hands today.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I've put this in my Netflix queue, as I have never seen it.

One question though, is Rene Russo supposed to look like a deranged psychopath on the cover:

*shiver*

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Also, what's up with the hollowness in Clint's eyes? It looks like he's had a run in with the 'ole alien virus from The X-Files...

Somehow I've managed to avoid this all these years, looks like I'm throwing it in the Netflix queue based on the recommendation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Coverart isn't a biggie with me, but I have to agree about the U.K. cover being better than the Region A. By the way, the U.K. coverart is the same as the 1997 SD DVD Region 1 release while this BR coverart is the same as the 2001 SD DVD Region 1 release.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that was the original DVD cover and it's miles better than the crappy image they used on the SE DVD and now the Blu-Ray.

M

Member 323668

Thanks Richard for your thoughts about the BD of "In the Line of Fire".

Please don't get me wrong -no personal insult- but I completely disagree with your review as concerns PQ:

It is a VERY ordinary transfer. The BD obviously derives from a dated HD master with fake sharpness created by a more than healthy amount of edge enhancement. The picture appears to be heavily grain-reduced and filtered, although not as pervertedly digitally processed as the FOX stinkers "Patton" and "The Longest Day".

Not a disaster, but no recommendation for purists and people who like the film-like look.

In addition to that, I noticed for the first time Sony using the paranoid BD-plus "non-feature" with minutes of loading time on my Sony S1.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Something tells me that almost each BR release and review is going to be debated with disagreements about the PQ. Personally, I noticed the picture not having a lot of fine film grain, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the disc. We have to strive for the best presentation on BR, but I have to wonder if purists will ever be really happy with most of these presentations?

M

Member 323668

;) Right, personally I will never ever be happy with THESE kinds of presentations...

But there were examples of the "perfect" high definition transfer in the early days of HD DVD and Blu-ray:

"Bullitt", "The Getaway", "Blazing Saddles", "That's Entertainment Box Set", "The Chronicles of Riddick", "The Searchers", "Forbidden Planet", "Serenity", "The Last Samurai".....

But these are "used-to-bees". The majority of transfers that we get right now are pure digitally manipulated shit. (pardon my language)

The incapable product managers of the major studios are going to kill the format Blu-ray for the serious film lovers and cineasts with their excessive grain-elimination,wax-figures presentations.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think you're being a little melodramatic with your "used to bees" comment, but I understand your point.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
And that's the one I'll be getting. :D

The UK version of the film has been cut ever since the theatrical release, but Sony have apparently put the full version on the UK BD. Sweeeeeet.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Johannes,

No offense taken! I did mention the lack of grain, but I had no other version (not even the LD) to compare it with, so it was not apparent to me whether any significant digital processing had been done. Usually with older films I have an earlier version to compare it with, but not in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks