-

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: In the Line of Fire

Blu-ray Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,078 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted June 30 2008 - 11:20 AM

http://static.hometh...ers_1991617.jpg">

Studio: Sony/Columbia

Year: 1993

Rated: R

Program Length: 128 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 1080p

Languages: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Dutch, Bahasa, Korean

The Program

Filmmakers have long been intrigued by the subject of political assassination. One of the earliest such films that I recall is Anthony Mann’s The Tall Target, a 1951 movie about an attempt to kill Abraham Lincoln in 1861. Then of course there is The Manchurian Candidate, filmed first in 1962 and remade in 2004. Several films have been made about the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy, and the 2006 film Bobby examines the murder of his brother in 1968. Other assassination-themed films include 1954’s Suddenly and 1974’s The Parallax View. The films which I have mentioned include only assassination attempts upon American politicians; there are many more films which focus upon assassinations in other countries.

One of the best assassination films is In the Line of Fire, directed by Wolfgang Petersen and starring Clint Eastwood. One thing which sets this movie apart from the others is its focus on the workings of the Secret Service, which among other things is charged with protecting the life of the President of the United States. Eastwood plays Frank Corrigan, an aging Secret Service agent who is now working on counterfeiting cases. It is 1992, and Corrigan is the only active Secret Service agent who was part of JFK’s protective detail in Dallas in 1963. Over the ensuing years Corrigan has been haunted by the belief that he might have been able to save JFK’s life if he had reacted more quickly to the sound of the first shot.

When Corrigan and his young partner, Al D’Andrea (Dylan McDermott) become aware of a man in the District of Columbia who is threatening the incumbent president, there is no unusual alarm because such threats are relatively commonplace. But then the potential assassin (John Malkovich, in a brilliant performance) reaches out to Corrigan, calling him at home, thereby setting the stage for an intriguing and suspenseful cat-and-mouse game. The would-be assassin calls himself “Booth” (he does not want to be called “Oswald” because John Wilkes Booth had “panache,” which Lee Harvey Oswald seriously lacked). He is aware of Corrigan's involvement in the JFK assassination and he taunts the agent with suggestions that he is not willing to put his life on the line for the president. Attempts to trace Booth’s phone calls either fail or are significantly delayed because of his use of sophisticated scrambling devices. It becomes increasingly apparent that his threats against the president are quite serious and real. Corrigan gets himself reassigned to the president’s protection detail, where he teams up with agent Lily Raines (Rene Russo). Corrigan clearly wants to redeem himself for what he sees as his failure in 1963, but there are concerns that his involvement is too personal and that his judgment has become suspect.

Throughout the film the target of the threats, the president, is by design kept at a distance from the viewer. All that we know about him is that it is an election year and that he is trailing in the polls with just a few weeks to go before Election Day. We do not know his name (he is referred to only by his Secret Service code name, “Traveler”) or his political party. Nor is his opponent ever mentioned by name. This approach allows the viewers to focus on the battle of wits between Corrigan and Booth without having to consider whether we would support or oppose the president. Live footage from actual campaign appearances during the 1992 presidential campaign is seamlessly integrated into the film to give it a very authentic look.

There are many suspenseful scenes and the film has a very thrilling climax. Eastwood is perfectly cast as an agent who has seen it all and is nearing retirement. Malkovich is positively chilling as the creepy assassin who kills people as easily as you or I would swat a fly. In the Line of Fire is a superb action film and is highly recommended.

The Video

Sony has done itself proud with another first-rate Blu-ray transfer. The picture is exceedingly sharp, allowing the viewer to examine every nook and cranny in Clint Eastwood’s weathered face. Color fidelity appears to be perfect. I observed very little grain, which presumably is how the movie was filmed because it does not appear that there has been excessive digital processing. The scenes which were filmed on location in Los Angeles and the District of Columbia are exquisite, and some of the shots of the nation’s capital are breathtaking.

Shadow detail in the many dark scenes is excellent and I never felt that I was missing anything.

The supplemental materials are in standard definition.

The Audio

The Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1 audio is very satisfying and involving. There is considerable use of the surround channels in the action scenes and there is some noticeable punch in the lower ranges. The dialogue is clear and always comprehensible. There also is nice dimensionality to Ennio Morricone’s pulsating score.

Be aware that the film’s soundtrack is set lower than the sound level of the disc’s introductory materials. I had to raise my volume level about 20db when the feature started.

The Supplements

The extras on In the Line of Fire are identical to those found on the Special Edition DVD which was released in 2001.

There is a commentary track with director Wolfgang Petersen.

There are five deleted scenes, one of which involves Corrigan sitting at a piano in a bar. When a woman strikes up a conversation with him, he has her play two chords on the piano, but when she strikes the keys there is no sound. Apparently it was decided to delete that scene before the music was added.

A 22-minute documentary entitled “The Ultimate Sacrifice” talks about the Secret Service and how the agency cooperated in the making of the film.

A Showtime special called “Behind the Scenes with the Secret Service” appears to have been a promotional piece which aired on Showtime when the film was originally released. The special runs for 20 minutes and goes into some detail about how Secret Service agents are trained.

There is also a 5-minute featurette entitled “Catching the Counterfeiters” which describes how our currency has had to go high-tech to outsmart counterfeiters who use computers to make phony bills. Another 5-minute featurette called “How’d They Do That?” demonstrates how blue screen technology was used to insert images of Clint Eastwood and other actors into scenes of the 2002 presidential campaign and even into film of JFK's visit to Dallas in 1963.

The Packaging

The single disc comes in a standard Blu-ray keepcase.

The Final Analysis

In the Line of Fire is an outstanding thriller and Sony has given it a superb Blu-ray transfer. It boasts a tight script and it moves along swiftly. There is of course a romantic angle between Corrigan and Raines, but it is a minor diversion and does not distract from the film’s essential tension.

Equipment used for this review:

Panasonic DMP-BD10A DVD Player
Sharp LC-42D62U LCD display
Yamaha HTR-5890 THX Surround Receiver
BIC Acoustech speakers
Interconnects: Monster Cable

Release Date: July 1, 2008
Rich Gallagher

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 30 2008 - 01:34 PM

Great to read that this release is very good, my disc is on the way to me and I should be watching it this week.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Thivanka R. Perera

Thivanka R. Perera

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted June 30 2008 - 08:05 PM

Need to buy this straightaway. Off to Amazon.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Thivanka R. Perera

Thivanka R. Perera

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted June 30 2008 - 08:09 PM

Need to get this straightaway. Off to Amazon baby.

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 03:59 AM

Sounds great! This is one of my fave Eastwood flicks and I can't wait to get it in my hands today.

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 04:42 AM

I've put this in my Netflix queue, as I have never seen it.

One question though, is Rene Russo supposed to look like a deranged psychopath on the cover:

Posted Image

*shiver*
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 05:06 AM

yeah, that's a pretty damn crappy photoshop cover

#8 of 30 ONLINE   Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 01 2008 - 05:37 AM

Also, what's up with the hollowness in Clint's eyes? It looks like he's had a run in with the 'ole alien virus from The X-Files...

Somehow I've managed to avoid this all these years, looks like I'm throwing it in the Netflix queue based on the recommendation.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 08:35 AM

Mine is in route from Amazon. Glad to hear the DVD is well done!
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 09:16 AM

I love the artwork for the UK release:

Posted Image

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,078 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 01 2008 - 11:19 AM

Agreed, the U.K. cover is much better!
Rich Gallagher

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 11:31 AM

And what Kubrick film did they get that shot of Rene Russo from?
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2008 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher
Coverart isn't a biggie with me, but I have to agree about the U.K. cover being better than the Region A. By the way, the U.K. coverart is the same as the 1997 SD DVD Region 1 release while this BR coverart is the same as the 2001 SD DVD Region 1 release.

Crawdaddy

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 01:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that was the original DVD cover and it's miles better than the crappy image they used on the SE DVD and now the Blu-Ray.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Johannes S

Johannes S

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 07:54 AM

Quote:
The Video

Sony has done itself proud with another first-rate Blu-ray transfer. The picture is exceedingly sharp, allowing the viewer to examine every nook and cranny in Clint Eastwood’s weathered face. Color fidelity appears to be perfect. I observed very little grain, which presumably is how the movie was filmed because it does not appear that there has been excessive digital processing. The scenes which were filmed on location in Los Angeles and the District of Columbia are exquisite, and some of the shots of the nation’s capital are breathtaking.

Shadow detail in the many dark scenes is excellent and I never felt that I was missing anything.

The supplemental materials are in standard definition.

Thanks Richard for your thoughts about the BD of "In the Line of Fire".

Please don't get me wrong -no personal insult- but I completely disagree with your review as concerns PQ:

It is a VERY ordinary transfer. The BD obviously derives from a dated HD master with fake sharpness created by a more than healthy amount of edge enhancement. The picture appears to be heavily grain-reduced and filtered, although not as pervertedly digitally processed as the FOX stinkers "Patton" and "The Longest Day".

Not a disaster, but no recommendation for purists and people who like the film-like look.

In addition to that, I noticed for the first time Sony using the paranoid BD-plus "non-feature" with minutes of loading time on my Sony S1.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 03 2008 - 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes S
Thanks Richard for your thoughts about the BD of "In the Line of Fire".

Please don't get me wrong -no personal insult- but I completely disagree with your review as concerns PQ:

It is a VERY ordinary transfer. The BD obviously derives from a dated HD master with fake sharpness created by a more than healthy amount of edge enhancement. The picture appears to be heavily grain-reduced and filtered, although not as pervertedly digitally processed as the FOX stinkers "Patton" and "The Longest Day".

Not a disaster, but no recommendation for purists and people who like the film-like look.

In addition to that, I noticed for the first time Sony using the paranoid BD-plus "non-feature" with minutes of loading time on my Sony S1.
Something tells me that almost each BR release and review is going to be debated with disagreements about the PQ. Personally, I noticed the picture not having a lot of fine film grain, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the disc. We have to strive for the best presentation on BR, but I have to wonder if purists will ever be really happy with most of these presentations?

Crawdaddy

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Johannes S

Johannes S

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Something tells me that almost each BR release and review is going to be debated with disagreements about the PQ. Personally, I noticed the picture not having a lot of fine film grain, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the disc. We have to strive for the best presentation on BR, but I have to wonder if purists will ever be really happy with most of these presentations?

Posted Image Right, personally I will never ever be happy with THESE kinds of presentations...

But there were examples of the "perfect" high definition transfer in the early days of HD DVD and Blu-ray:

"Bullitt", "The Getaway", "Blazing Saddles", "That's Entertainment Box Set", "The Chronicles of Riddick", "The Searchers", "Forbidden Planet", "Serenity", "The Last Samurai".....

But these are "used-to-bees". The majority of transfers that we get right now are pure digitally manipulated shit. (pardon my language)

The incapable product managers of the major studios are going to kill the format Blu-ray for the serious film lovers and cineasts with their excessive grain-elimination,wax-figures presentations.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 03 2008 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
Posted Image Right, personally I will never ever be happy with THESE kinds of presentations...

But there were examples of the "perfect" high definition transfer in the early days of HD DVD and Blu-ray:

"Bullitt", "The Getaway", "Blazing Saddles", "That's Entertainment Box Set", "The Chronicles of Riddick", "The Searchers", "Forbidden Planet", "Serenity", "The Last Samurai".....

But these are "used-to-bees". The majority of transfers that we get right now are pure digitally manipulated shit. (pardon my language)

The incapable product managers of the major studios are going to kill the format Blu-ray for the serious film lovers and cineasts with their excessive grain-elimination,wax-figures presentations.
I think you're being a little melodramatic with your "used to bees" comment, but I understand your point.

Crawdaddy

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale MA
I love the artwork for the UK release:

Posted Image
And that's the one I'll be getting. Posted Image

The UK version of the film has been cut ever since the theatrical release, but Sony have apparently put the full version on the UK BD. Sweeeeeet.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,078 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 03 2008 - 01:18 PM

Quote:
It is a VERY ordinary transfer. The BD obviously derives from a dated HD master with fake sharpness created by a more than healthy amount of edge enhancement. The picture appears to be heavily grain-reduced and filtered, although not as pervertedly digitally processed as the FOX stinkers "Patton" and "The Longest Day"

Johannes,

No offense taken! I did mention the lack of grain, but I had no other version (not even the LD) to compare it with, so it was not apparent to me whether any significant digital processing had been done. Usually with older films I have an earlier version to compare it with, but not in this case.
Rich Gallagher

Forum Nav Content I Follow