Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Dirty Harry & The Dead Pool -- in Blu-Ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,553 posts

Posted June 29 2008 - 01:14 PM

I wanted to get something posted concerning the new Blu-ray boxed set of five Clint Eastwood / Dirty Harry films. I received product on saturday, and only had the capability to preview the first (Dirty Harry - 1971) and last (The Dead Pool - 1988).

How do they look?

As the bank-robber asks in Dirty Harry... "I got's to know."

I couldn't be more pleased to see Blu-ray back on track.

Dirty Harry looks precisely as it should as a 1971 Eastman 5254 production.

A good touch of crisp grain, creating a overall gritty look is the basis of the cinematography.

The Dead Pool, produced at a time when one could select the speed and relative grain structure of the film that one was shooting also looks correct.

So brief and to the point.

Both films (I'll get to the others at a later date) look very much like original prints of the film.

Color, densities, black levels and grain all look correct.

I would call Dirty Harry and The Dead Pool perfectly produced Blu-ray discs, as they properly replicate the original cinema experience.

Thank you Warner Home Video. I couldn't be more thrilled.

You've hit your target dead on.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 29 2008 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for your comments as they confirm my posted opinion about the quality of this boxset.Posted Image However, I found it strange that you would watch "The Dead Pool" over "Magnum Force" or "The Enforcer" who are in my opinion, better films.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted June 29 2008 - 02:03 PM

I bought the stand-alone 'Dirty Harry' title, and was likewise very pleased. My expectations were surpassed. Another dependable job by Warner.

It's great to have my humble opinion confirmed.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 29 2008 - 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
However, I found it strange that you would watch "The Dead Pool" over "Magnum Force" or "The Enforcer" who are in my opinion, better films.
In a semi-related vein, I actually found a little more respect for Sudden Impact after listening to Richard Schickel's commentary on it. It's not a great movie but, like I said, I have some more respect for it now.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted June 29 2008 - 03:42 PM

Great news. It's so good to hear when a studio does it right.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted June 29 2008 - 07:40 PM

This is getting really tempting...

As I posted in the official review thread, I'm still in two minds on this. I have the previous SD boxset, I want o to avoid double-dipping as much as possible aside from the absolute favourites, e.g. Star Wars (if and when it comes out). Much as I like Dirty Harry, it's not quite up there.

An additional question: Is there anything missing from the BD versions that is on the SD versions? As far as I can tell, no, unlike the Rambo collection where the SD version had another disc of extras. And is everything from the old set ported over as well?

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted June 29 2008 - 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming

As I posted in the official review thread, I'm still in two minds on this. I have the previous SD boxset, I want o to avoid double-dipping as much as possible aside from the absolute favourites, e.g. Star Wars (if and when it comes out). Much as I like Dirty Harry, it's not quite up there.

An additional question: Is there anything missing from the BD versions that is on the SD versions? As far as I can tell, no, unlike the Rambo collection where the SD version had another disc of extras. And is everything from the old set ported over as well?

I cannot comment on the extras as I am not that interested in them nor do I own previous versions but the picture quality is such a big upgrade over the DVDs that you will not regret to double-dip. It is really like watching film most of the time and I was already wondering why RAH did not comment on it before Posted Image

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 30 2008 - 01:06 AM

Quote:

I have both boxset releases so in the next couple of days, I'll try to do a comparison. I do know that Dirty Harry BRD has everything, plus at least one new featurette on it compared to the SD DVD.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,553 posts

Posted June 30 2008 - 02:48 AM

Robert,

I was watching the films for technical reasons as opposed to content -- looking at the way that the different film stocks, dupes, etc. were handled in the process to Blu-ray.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 30 2008 - 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Robert,

I was watching the films for technical reasons as opposed to content -- looking at the way that the different film stocks, dupes, etc. were handled in the process to Blu-ray.
I was ribbing you about that choice more than anything else.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   MarkBirds

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted June 30 2008 - 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
In a semi-related vein, I actually found a little more respect for Sudden Impact after listening to Richard Schickel's commentary on it. It's not a great movie but, like I said, I have some more respect for it now.

I totally agree. I had never seen Sudden Impact letterboxed before, either, and that also increased my appreciation of the movie.
I loves me some zombies.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2008 - 11:27 AM

Quote:

The only things missing from the 2001 "The Dirty Harry Series" that's not on any of the discs in this BR "Dirty Harry Ultimate Collector's Edition" are the following:
  • Cast and Crew (1 Slide)
  • Behind the Scenes (1-2 Slides)
  • On Location (1-2 Slides)
  • Memorable Lines (1 Slide)
However, the following are not included in the SD DVD boxset, but are on this BR release that are new and most of the featurettes are presented in HD.

Dirty Harry
  • Richard Schickel Commentary
  • Long Shadow of Dirty Harry
  • Clint Eastwood Out of the Shadows
  • Clint Eastwood Man from Malpaso
Magnum Force
  • John Milius Commentary
  • A Moral Right: The Politics of Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
  • James Fargo Commentary
  • The Business End: Violence in Cinema
Sudden Impact
  • Richard Schickel Commentary
  • The Evolution of Clint Eastwood
The Dead Pool
  • Jack N. Green/David Valdes Commentary
  • The Craft of Dirty Harry

Crawdaddy

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 02:22 PM

Many thanks Crawdaddy, I think I'm sold on this now...

#14 of 16 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 22 2010 - 06:29 AM

Anybody else check out the double feature releases of the Dirty Harry movies? I was very pleased with the Dirty Harry/Magnum Force Action Double Feature Blu that I picked up at Walmart for $20, and have my eyes out for the Enforcer/Sudden Impact Action Double Feature Blu.

#15 of 16 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 22 2010 - 08:59 AM

I love how all the Dirty Harry releases from the set contain the original WB's opening logos. It makes watching them all the more enjoyable. I know it is a small thing but is it part of the history of the film.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 01:52 PM

Just to point out ... the double feature discs are the same (extras, etc.) as those in the collected box set.   So if you prefer a particular title or want to save some overall change....

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow