-

Photo
- - - - -

Tightrope - Mike Connors series bridging the 50's and 60's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted June 29 2008 - 11:05 AM

Has anyone here seen the Mike Connors TV series Tightrope which ran for one season during the 1959-60 season in the US? He played an undercover agent in each episode. I read more about it a few weeks ago after initially looking at it's IMDb page months ago and forgetting about it afterwards.

After reading about M Squad I thought that maybe this show could be released by Timeless Media.

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   FrosteyV

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted June 29 2008 - 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Has anyone here seen the Mike Connors TV series Tightrope which ran for one season during the 1959-60 season in the US? He played an undercover agent in each episode. I read more about it a few weeks ago after initially looking at it's IMDb page months ago and forgetting about it afterwards.

After reading about M Squad I thought that maybe this show could be released by Timeless Media.

I have copies of about 10 episodes. Done somewhat in a "Dragnet" fashion with Mike Conners doing a narration voice over. Pretty good series, with very good production values for the era. I'd buy a studio released set.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   docdoowop

docdoowop

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted June 30 2008 - 02:07 AM

This was one of my favorite shows at the time. I, too, would urge Timeless to examine the show's status for possible release.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 12:16 AM

Quote:

Not sure if Timeless could release this as it looks like it's in the Screen Gems/Columbia/Sony stable. Perhaps if the "Mannix," season 1 set does well and CBS Paramount releases further seasons of "Mannix," maybe someone might take a look at releasing it, but it would almost certainly have to come from a company like Timeless . . . . I can't see Sony releasing this based on their woeful record of releasing black & white TV shows on DVD, and it's questionable whether they would license it. "M-Squad," on the other hand is controlled by Universal which has a licensing arrangement with Timeless.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted April 02 2011 - 03:27 AM

Could Sony release Tightrope as a MOD title?

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 03:55 AM

Let's see if Sony has any intent on releasing any TV in their BOD. Tightrope is a great show, kind of like a 1/2 hour version of Wiseguy but without the arcs.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 03:56 AM

Have Sony only just set up their MOD program, or has it been running for months?

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,976 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 08:34 AM

Have Sony only just set up their MOD program, or has it been running for months?

It been running for several months, but no TV series yet - just some TV Movies along with Features.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted April 09 2011 - 06:18 AM

A pity, as with Mannix's first four seasons out on DVD it would be great to see Tightrope released as well. Has Tightrope been shown in syndication in the US much?

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted April 10 2011 - 05:05 PM

Not that I know of. All of the episodes I've ever seen are from 16mm film transfers. I've never heard of any coming from off air recordings. Thankfully, all but a couple of episodes of this great show have been circulating for decades.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   mgdvd0

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted April 10 2011 - 06:11 PM

Tightrope is just released in a region free set at Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...02502112&sr=1-2

#12 of 19 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted April 10 2011 - 07:47 PM

Its a different series altogether.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Executive

Executive

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted April 11 2011 - 06:10 PM

I got a hold of a few episodes of Tightrope a long time ago.  It wasn't very good, and the "paint by the numbers" style plots and poor production values would explain why the series only last 1 year.

The undercover cop concept was perfected with WISEGUY, a multi-episode story-arcs series that is far superior on many levels (at least until Ken Wahl quit the show after 3 years).

Mike Connors was much better in Mannix.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,540 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 01:49 AM

I too, think that Tightrope was a very good show, and the voice over narration actually works.  It reminds me of a cross between Wiseguy and Johnny Staccato.  Good show.  Deserves a DVD release.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Executive

Executive

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Richard V 

I too, think that Tightrope was a very good show, and the voice over narration actually works.  It reminds me of a cross between Wiseguy and Johnny Staccato.  Good show.  Deserves a DVD release.

Johnny Staccato -- another casualty from the 1959-1960 TV season.  John Cassavetes is one of my favorite actors / directors of all time, but too much jazz on the soundtrack (and almost twice as loud as the dialog) may have been part of the reason for the low ratings that killed the show.  I got to sample that from the TRIO channel.

The only show from that particular season that I'm interested in is producer Ivan Tors' Man and the Challenge starring George Nader and Jack Ging. Granted the scientific aspects are just as dated, but I've never had the opportunity to see that series.  It is certainly the hardest to find.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Executive 

I got a hold of a few episodes of Tightrope a long time ago.  It wasn't very good, and the "paint by the numbers" style plots and poor production values would explain why the series only last 1 year.

Actually, that's not why it only lasted one year. The ratings on the show were pretty good but back then the sponsor was king and the sponsor dropped the show in favor of another series and that's why it was cancelled, not for ratings. As a matter of the fact, they then shot a one-hour version in an attempt to resume the show but it didn't sell.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 09:38 AM

Interesting theory on why a show would only last one season. That hasn't always been the case with all or most one season only shows. I would have thought it wouldn't matter if a show had "paint by the numbers" style plots and poor production values.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Executive

Executive

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 04:34 PM

Actually, that's not why it only lasted one year. The ratings on the show were pretty good but back then the sponsor was king and the sponsor dropped the show in favor of another series and that's why it was cancelled, not for ratings. As a matter of the fact, they then shot a one-hour version in an attempt to resume the show but it didn't sell.

Robert Taylor's Detectives and Naked City are two examples of well-done cop shows from that era that expanded from a 1/2 to an hour.

Only with The Detectives it didn't work out in the longer format, but adding Adam West to the team for the final season wasn't necessarily a bad idea.

Can anyone explain why the first season episodes of Naked City with James Franciscus and James McIntire were never released on DVD or even VHS?  Granted not all of the hour shows were, but I have 56 of the 60 (??) that Image released.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,540 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 04:47 AM

Can anyone explain why the first season episodes of Naked City with James Franciscus and James McIntire were never released on DVD or even VHS?  Granted not all of the hour shows were, but I have 56 of the 60 (??) that Image released.

My most likely guesses would be:  Couldn't get the licensing rights for whatever reason, and the 1/2 hr format is not what Image wanted to present in DVD.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

Forum Nav Content I Follow