What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did a search for threads on Star Trek The Next Generation and didn’t see anything on the level of the usual discussions here about Star Trek TOS and DS9. So if there’s interest, I’m starting a TNG one. I have the entire TNG series on DVD purchased back in the day they first came out. I’ve seen several of my favorite episodes many times, but I have not done a sequential viewing since the first aired and since I bought the DVD sets six years ago.

Recently, I was open to re-viewing the first season of Star Trek The Next Generation from discussions about the music of Star Trek TOS on a TOS thread. I wanted to check out Fred Steiner’s effort for one episode of The Next Generation and I decided to keep watching.

If there’s interest, perhaps we can have a discussion about the series somewhat rocky start and eventually finding it’s own footing. I remember it very well, watching Encounter at Farpoint in 1987. So far, I’ve re-watched most of Season 1, 2 and all of 3.

I forgot a lot of little things that changed after the first 2 years. I remember that Riker was promoted by Roddenberry as the Kirk-like character who went on all the away missions and got the girls. Which he did. Data had a tendency to go on about something as he realizes what the definition of a slang word or task is. And this season had the beginnings of Worf’s use of short and descriptive comments; “Nice house, good tea”.

The first half of the first season is rough. And I am surprised by how bad the effects look! Some bad stuff was an attempt to do a Chief Engineer that tried to redo Scotty. A lot of the early stories were very much in the mold of TOS, morality plays like Justice and Angel One to the discovery stories that Humans aren’t so bad after all with The Last Outpost. Where No One has Gone Before was interesting in that it sets-up Wesley as a special person. I liked this episode, it sets into motion Wesley getting the attention his abilities warranted and marks Picard’s change of character from a guy who hates kids to someone with more affinity for kids in later seasons. I know a lot of people hated Wesley because he always saved the day, but he didn’t do it that often.

Some other early stand outs for me is Too Short a Season and The Big Goodbye where we start to see how the Holodeck can become a crutch later on for contrived situations. Too Short a Season I liked for the story and motivation of Admiral Jameson. Datalore also stands out as a good story for developing Data’s history and origins.

I particularly like a lot of the second half of the season. 11001001 is a great episode, we see Riker loosen up and I liked Carolyn McCormick! Good idea for the Bynars and the need to restart their planet. Home soil is a strong episode too, a modern version of Devil in the Dark. Sure the micro computer’s use of “ugly bags of mostly water” was lame dialogue, but I liked the story.

Coming of Age I felt was a real turning point for the series. We see that Wesley wasn’t perfect and the start of the storyline of Remmick and Admiral Quinn. Heart of Glory was a great start of the Klingon storylines that continues to develop their culture later on with the Duras, K’Mpec, Gowron and K’Lar storylines of season 2 and 3.

The Arsenal of Freedom was a fun episode that I’m fond of because of the adventure aspects and we see the ship in the hands of Geordi and a very bad actor playing the Chief Engineer who fights to take over command. Geordi and the green crew prevail! Skin of Evil is interesting as it’s a dark episode with a sad ending as Tasha dies from a really bad tar pit creature. Conspiracy was a really great episode and tied up the events from Coming of Age. I suppose you cn say that it seems preposterous that Starfleet could be that easily overtaken, but it’s a fun episode. And seeing other starship captains conspiring together to sort out the conspiracy is really cool. Makes you wonder at the end if the writers had more in mind, or did the chaos of the writers revolving door at the studio lose a storyline or did it eventually become about the Borg as the final episode, The Neutral Zone alludes to. This is a fun episode that I am also fond of for the fish out of water aspects and the first contact with Romulans that is an intelligent meeting trying to resolve the mystery of the missing outposts.

By the end, Patrick Stewart starts to really get his footing for Picard as do the others. But he seems to change the most in my mind as he’s so loosey goosy in the beginning. Brent Spiner is also a standout through out the series for how he so deftly plays Data.

The second season was an interesting continuation of the same kinds of stories from the first. The replacement of the doctor with Diana Mulduar was more interesting for me to see this time as I enjoyed how they make her essentially McCoy. I enjoy how she treats Data as nothing but a soulless machine to eventually coming to respect him at the end.

But more on the second season if this thread survives. One final thought about the whole reason this thread started, the music was much more lively then I remembered it, though at times electronic sounding early on, it is true as a poster pounted out in the TOS thread, the Ron Jones scores are very emotional, but they're right too for the stories. Too bad he left. Also, the first two seasons really use the Star Trek Alexander Courage fanfare till the series matures into it's own in the third year and used less or not at all IIRC.

Fun stuff and this re-viewing really makes me appreciate the series more as it's a pleasure to see the show grow and improve over two or three episodes viewed in each day!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Nelson, great idea, and a wonderful post.

The fist season, and the last season, are hard for me to watch. Oh, they have great episodes to be sure. but the first was finding its feet, and the last was running out of ideas. Not to mention, the hack Rick Berman was in charge, but already moving on to his next Trek paycheck. Cant wait to read more, and add my 2 cents when i am more awake! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson (and Rick),

Agreed. This is a great idea. I love TNG. I can usually find something positive to write about with every episode. I'm a huge fan of Season Two, and I love many episodes from the first season.

I promise to contribute more tomorrow, also when I am more awake! ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great! An enthusiastic start.

I forgot to add another couple of thoughts about the first season. A line made by Riker regarding Data trying do a painting reminded me, that a blind man and a kid flies the ship, and a cybernetic entity is a bridge officer that gives orders.

And I forgot to mention poor Deanna Troi and her bun hair. Luckily she got to look more glamourous in the second season and got to wear more flattering costumes! And of course, she didn't have to say how she "feels" or "senses" great hostility or deceit.

And I recall early comments about the new Enterprise D that it feels like a flying hotel or cruise ship. Such luxury and pastel colors!

I look forward to all your comments guys, thanks!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great idea for a thread, and a nice companion to our DS9 discussion and ongoing TOS threads.

While the first two seasons are uneven, I think they have some real gems in them, which many people miss by dismissing the first two years. "Measure of a Man" is one of the best of the entire series, and I also enjoy "The Big Goodbye," "A Matter of Honor," and of course, "Q Who."

But I think the addition of Michael Piller (and a writer named Ron Moore) in the third season was a turning point. The show looked, read and felt more mature in the third season and it really became essential viewing.

I am not a fan of Jeri Taylor, who I think softened the show too much in her time on it. The show focused much too much on Worf as a father and began to have a touchy-feely quality to it, something we never saw on DS9 (which makes it the stronger show). I am also not a fan of Brannon Braga and his overuse of the "what is reality?" storyline. IMO, the combination of Taylor and Braga significantly weakened the show in its final seasons.

Still, the show remains one of my favorites and is among the very best science fiction shows ever on TV. The cast is outstanding, and Patrick Stewart's Picard remains one of the best leading characters in all of TV.

Sadly, the movies didn't live up to the show. While I enjoyed First Contact (despite its continuity flaws), the other TNG movies are among the worst of all Star Trek films, particularly Nemesis. The film division never did right by such a great show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Favate
While the first two seasons are uneven, I think they have some real gems in them, which many people miss by dismissing the first two years. "Measure of a Man" is one of the best of the entire series, and I also enjoy "The Big Goodbye," "A Matter of Honor," and of course, "Q Who."

Sam,

Count me among those who also believes that the first two seasons have some real gems in them. Among them are the episodes you mentioned (all of them, really!) as well as Coming of Age, The Arsenal of Freedom, Heart of Glory, Symbiosis (just for the guest actors in that one!), Skin of Evil (our friend Joseph Stefano of TOL fame responsible for the story/script), and The Neutral Zone (the first, albeit cryptic, reference to the Borg). The second season had some wonderful episodes as well: Elementary, Dear Data, A Matter of Honor, Contagion, and The Royale (a great escapist episode for me). But it also brought us IMO three of the very best episodes the series has to offer: The Measure of a Man, Unnatural Selection, and Q Who.

Nelson,

First, let me also chime in to say that that was an excellent post! :) There are many things to write about with regard to what you've written.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson_Au
I forgot a lot of little things that changed after the first 2 years. I remember that Riker was promoted by Roddenberry as the Kirk-like character who went on all the away missions and got the girls. Which he did. Data had a tendency to go on about something as he realizes what the definition of a slang word or task is. And this season had the beginnings of Worf’s use of short and descriptive comments; “Nice house, good tea”.

Or how about (also) Data's usage of "Inquiry." I liked that early 'Data-ism.' He stopped that after a while.

One of my best friends has maintained for years that when TNG came along, they somehow had to fill some huge shoes, especially with regard to how they were going to replace Spock. He believes that they did this successfully, but that it took two characters to do it: Commander Riker and Lt. Commander Data. I tend to see this as well. I may elaborate on this a bit later.

Quote:

The first half of the first season is rough. And I am surprised by how bad the effects look! Some bad stuff was an attempt to do a Chief Engineer that tried to redo Scotty. A lot of the early stories were very much in the mold of TOS, morality plays like Justice and Angel One to the discovery stories that Humans aren’t so bad after all with The Last Outpost. Where No One has Gone Before was interesting in that it sets-up Wesley as a special person. I liked this episode, it sets into motion Wesley getting the attention his abilities warranted and marks Picard’s change of character from a guy who hates kids to someone with more affinity for kids in later seasons. I know a lot of people hated Wesley because he always saved the day, but he didn’t do it that often.

Yeah, that uncertainty with the engineer is not a highlight of the series.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif
For a while you had Argyle, then McDougall, then the guy who wouldn't just shut up when Geordi was put in charge.
Where No One Has Gone Before was an interesting episode musically; perhaps we can discuss that aspect at another time. I also liked how they were "a billion light years from home." Heck, the crew of VOY should have had it that good.
BTW, I also really like the two other Traveler episodes (especially Remember Me). And I personally have no problem with Wesley. I just keep in mind why Gene wanted him in the show, and why he was named 'Wesley.'

Quote:

I particularly like a lot of the second half of the season. 11001001 is a great episode, we see Riker loosen up and I liked Carolyn McCormick! Good idea for the Bynars and the need to restart their planet. Home soil is a strong episode too, a modern version of Devil in the Dark. Sure the micro computer’s use of “ugly bags of mostly water” was lame dialogue, but I liked the story.

I thought that what the Binars were up to was hidden from us quite well. Some of the looks they gave Wesley in the episode were borderline chilling.

That's a neat comparison, BTW (Home Soil with Devil In the Dark). I've not thought of that before, but I will keep that in mind when I watch this episode again.

Here are a few random thoughts (and notable quotes) I wrote up for Where No One Has Gone Before a couple of years ago. I won't do this for too many episodes, but I thought I would at least post one of these synopses to see if they are interesting to some. Maybe some of the thoughts written here will jar our memories to discuss other points in the episode. Enjoy!

Stardate 41263.1. The Enterprise has scheduled a rendezvous with the U. S. S. Fearless. On the Fearless are Kosinski and his assistant, known as the Traveler. Kosinski has been experimenting with different ways to enter warp speed as well as various intermix formulas. He is said to be a propulsion expert, and is being welcomed aboard the Enterprise in order to test some of his propulsion theories on the ship. (Previous tests were carried out on three ships, one of which was the U. S. S. Ajax.)

Kosinski is arrogant, condescending, and rude. Once beamed aboard, he wants to see the Captain, virtually ignoring the presence of Riker, who was gracious enough to have welcomed him aboard in the transporter room. Riker, after having looked over the work of Kosinski at a rudimentary level, believes that Kosinski's specs are gibberish. When Data is asked to comment on the specs and the results of tests on the other ships, he mentions that there were no noticeable improvements in engine performance.

We learn in this episode that Lieutenant Commander Argyle is the current Chief of Engineering. (I wonder what happened to McDougall?)

Tau Alpha C is the homeworld of Kosinski's assistant. His assistant is triple-digited, and is a being of few words. Riker notes that Tau Alpha C is very distant from their current position.

Riker asks Counselor Troi her feelings and impressions concerning the assistant. She mentions that she is quite concerned, and notices that there is an absence of emotion, almost as if he weren't even there.

Wesley alters (or adds to) some of the information input by the Traveler, and the Traveler knows at this point that Wesley is something special. It is possible that the Traveler 'allowed' (or perhaps encouraged) Wesley to make the changes as some sort of test.

Right after the Traveler phases out, the Enterprise disappears before going to warp. It's a neat effect, and it does bring to mind the need for an object to disappear before it exists when traveling at speeds faster than are possible for normal space.

Data informs the Captain that they are a billion light years from home.

I noticed that the soundtrack was quite good in this episode. Parts of it reminded me of ST: TMP; our eldest son said that segments reminded him of the second Star Wars film.

During the oddities that the crew was experiencing, we see 1) a Klingon targ; 2) Yar's cat; 3) Picard walking out of a door which leads to open space; 4) the rape gangs that pursued Yar years ago; 5) one crewmember participating in a string quartet (performing Mozart's Eine kleine Nachtmusik); 6) two crewmembers being followed by an unknown entity; 7) a crewman participating as a ballerina; 8) Picard's Maman; and 9) a huge fire that is entrapping a crewman. (N.B.: Once Picard et al. have realized that thought is part of the equation, the Captain is able to inform the crewman that he has the power to put out the fire in his mind, which he does.)

We are eventually informed that physical realities and ideas are somehow mixed.

The Traveler phases in and out of time three times in the episode. During the initial phasing, only Wesley sees it. He tries to explain this to Riker, who will not listen to him at that moment. The second time the Traveler phases out, Riker sees it.

When the Traveler phases (the third time) out of their existence after the crew has returned to their space, no one seems to know where he has gone.

Stardate 41263.4. Wesley Crusher is made Acting Ensign. This is a very nice touch. Picard asks Wesley to sit in the big chair, noting the efforts he has contributed with regard to their safe journey back home. Riker reminds Picard that he (the Captain) gave orders that Wesley not be allowed to sit in chairs on the Bridge. Realizing this, Picard sees he has but two choices. He can have him removed, or make him a commissioned officer so that he may remain. He chooses the latter, makes Wesley an Acting Ensign, and Wesley's smile says it all.

Notable lines:

"This doesn't work. Kosinksi's a fraud." (Kosinski). These words are spoken by Kosinski as a preemptive measure. He knows he isn't what he appears to be, so he attempts to use reverse psychology on those present.
"Something troubles you with the way this is configured?" (Traveler). It is possible that the Traveler is testing Wesley at this point. The expression on the face of the Traveler intimates that he is genuinely interested in what Wesley is thinking.
"Captain, we're passing warp 10!" (Geordi). The effects during the warp 10 segment are quite nice at this point.
"The galaxy known as M-33." (Geordi).
"2,700,000 light years, sir." (Data). This is the distance that the Enterprise has traveled relative to its previous position.
"And I calculate that at the maximum warp sir, it would take over ... 300 years to get home." (Geordi).
"Captain's log, stardate 41263.2. This will be a rather unusual log entry, assuming Starfleet ever receives it." (Picard).
"The truth is, Captain, I made a mistake." (Kosinski).
"Can I do something to help?" (Wesley). Apparently, Wesley notices that the Traveler could use some encouragement or aid at this point.
"That space ... and time ... and thought ... aren't the separate things they appear to be?" (Wesley). This is a profound line, and it's interesting to see the reaction of the Traveler to these words. His emotions become relatively agitated, and for one brief moment, he appears to be on the verge of becoming angry. He is quick to suggest that Wesley never repeat this idea to anyone.
"In three centuries of space travel we've charted just 11% of our galaxy ... and then ... we accomplish this." (Kosinski).
"If this guy can't get us back, who will?" (Geordi). Geordi is speaking of the Traveler here, not Kosinski.
"But as they say sir, you're the Captain." (Riker). It is ultimately the Captain's decision whether they try a similar procedure again in order hopefully to get back home.
"He's too tired. Why don't you do it by yourself?" (Wesley). Somehow Wesley knows that Kosinski cannot do this by himself. Kosinski is ready to proceed, and he could have had his bluff called, but we cut quickly to another segment before this could have occurred.
"Stardate 41263.3. Instead of returning to our own galaxy, the Enterprise has gone forward to a place in the universe which is uncharted and unknown." (Picard). I really appreciate this line. I could not help but think that we were somehow nearing Borg space (near system J-25); however, I know that this is nearly impossible. Still, thoughts of Q Who were mulling about in my mind when I saw this.
"Maman, can you tell me where my ship is?" (Picard). This is a particularly poignant moment. Picard is speaking to his mother, and when Riker interrupts him (he sees only the Captain here), the Captain, who is down on one knee in the corridor, responds brashly to his First Officer. Maman Picard has been deceased for quite some time, and her son is obviously savoring the moment to speak with her.
"General Quarters red alert!" (Picard).
"I should have realized it wasn't Kosinski." (Argyle).
"... who's generally humanoid, but with a physiology sufficiently different from our own to create medical problems in caring for him." (Picard). This line refers to the Traveler, who is in Sickbay being cared for by Dr. Crusher. He is weak, and he may not live. They need him well in order to get back home again.
"My name's Wesley, Commander." (Wesley). Wesley is somewhat miffed that a number of people (Picard, Riker, and Worf in various episodes) continue to refer to him as simply 'the boy.'
"There's no specific place I wish to go." (Traveler). I thought this line quite ironic considering who was speaking it.
"I don't know if I can put this in terms you'll understand." (Traveler). Interestingly, I did not think the Traveler to be arrogant when he uttered this line. But when Kosinski voices lines like these, one's blood can often curdle.
"You do understand, don't you, that thought is the basis of all reality?" (Traveler).
"Thought is the essence of where you are now." (Traveler).
"It's only now that your life form merits serious attention." (Traveler). Riker asked why his (the Traveler's) species had not yet contacted Terrans, and he received a rather humbling answer.
"He and a few like him are why I travel." (Traveler). The Traveler is speaking of Wesley, with whom he makes a comparison to Mozart (yet in the arenas of time, energy, and propulsion, as opposed to music). (N.B.: It would have been a pleasant surprise if TPTB had chosen another composer to be used for the comparison. All too often Mozart seems to be the 'waste basket' composer of choice that writers use for genius-like comparisons in their stories.)
"Captain's log. Any time entry would be meaningless." (Picard). The entry denotes the severity of their current situation.
"You need me?" "Yes." (Kosinski and the Traveler). This line refers to the Traveler needing the assistance of Kosinski at some level for the return trip. The viewer doesn't know what Kosinski will contribute; however, the need to be needed (Kosinski) is a nice touch, and it makes up in part for the arrogance he displayed initially.
"He has now left us. Wherever he has gone ... we wish him well." (Picard).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have been meaning to re-watch both this show and Babylon 5 again. I too agree that season 3 is when the show really took off.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice post Scott! I look forward to more of yours and others comments.

I have started with Season 4 and plan to say a few things about Season 2 highlights. Definitley a few jems there too.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I watched the show almost all the way through a few years before the DVDs came out, but the station stopped showing them early in season 6. I then bought the season sets and have watched it all the way through once. It was fun to do, and I like the show, but I don't feel as compelled to go back and watch it again like I did with DS9. I would enjoy it if I sat down and watched it, but that show has really made the other spinoffs pale in comparison.

Without getting into specific episodes, the one thing I do want to say early on is that I think people go overboard with the Shades of Gray hate. It's just a clip show. Sure, they could have just skipped the episode, but at least they tried to dress it up with a bit of a framing device. If it failed, it's because every clip show fails--especially for people who know the episodes backwards and forwards. But, for people to call it the worst episode on the entire run? I would reserve that for any number of the aforementioned Braga reality-benders. Probably some Joe Menoskys as well. I think he wrote all of the very few DS9 episodes I hated.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I think Measure Of a Man and Unnatural Selection are my favorites from Season Two. The destruction of the Lantry was quite moving for me, as was Dr. Pulaski's caution throughout that episode. While the doctor on the planet seemed somewhat arrogant (and desperate, as she should have been), I was very impressed with Pulaski's humility during the crisis and when her text was mentioned as still being the standard in the field. I also thought the resolution to her aging problem was brilliant. It may seem somewhat passe now, but back in 1988-1989, it was fresh. :emoji_thumbsup:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have a question. Why did they replace Crusher with Polaski, and then bring back crusher. I have never heard the inside scoop. I always preferred Crusher. Besides i always had a thing for red heads! LOL

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rick,

The only piece of information I have heard that I believe has some merit is that Gates McFadden was pregnant. I've heard various other rumors over the years. Incidentally, I did like Diana Muldaur as Dr. Pulaski (esp. the TOS tie-in); however, I really liked Dr. Crusher a lot, so when she came back I was quite pleased. Besides, she attended a university only miles from where I used to live. ;)

BTW, I believe Diana Muldaur may be the only character to have played three different roles in which she was a doctor in each: Dr. Miranda Jones, Dr. Ann Mulhall, and Dr. Katherine Pulaski. :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The story I've read is that someone felt that Dr. Crusher's character wasn't gelling the way they had hoped with the idea that she has this hsitory with Picard. Plus I think they wanted to see more heat between the Doc and Picard. But the other story was that Roddenberry didn't like her or how the character fit in and he always liked Diana Muldaur, so he got her to come in to replace Gates McFadden. Those are not very nice stories, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Plus I've read that after the first season, Marina Sirtus' character was in danger of being written off too.

But in the end, the fan's prevailed and got Gates back on. I was at a convention in Los Angeles and Mr. Roddenberry himself made the announcement that Gates was returning to the roar of the crowd!

What I found interesting is that Diana Muldaur wanted her screen credit to read as Special Guest Star as Whoopie Goldberg did rather then part of the cast. Perhaps she knew her time wasn't permanent or in case she wasn't going to stick around.

I wouldn't say I didn't like Dr. Polaski, she added that McCoy vibe to the second year and provided some interesting conflict for Picard. But on the whole, I was glad to see Gates back and with Wesley.

Scott, that's true, Diana Muldaur must be one of a single handful of actors to come back to Star Trek in various roles, it'd make a good trivia question!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I didnt think it was because McFadden was pregnant, cause she was during the show. They used the old trick of her lab coat, or her standing in front of a desk, and so on to cover it. I wouldnt be shocked if it was a Roddenberry squabble. I also heard about Troy being on the chopping block. Her character got better with time, along with everyone else. I didnt even mind Wes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Watching it for the first time all the way through. I'm about halfway into 4. I really enjoyed the first three seasons(I knew I would, I love the show) and four is OK so far. It's sad to hear that season seven starts to run out of gas. IMO TNG could probably last 20 seasons, as long as they had good writers. Maybe the writing staff wanted to move on as well.

I've heard many things about Berman. Many people say he's the guy who ruined Trek. But I do like Voyager, and Enterprise kind of grows on you if you give it a chance.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I'm currently watching all of TNG on DVD, I've seen a few episodes here & there before but never the complete series in the correct order. I was always a big fan of TOS but watching the TNG on DVD is just fantastic, it's starting to edge out TOS on my favorites list.

I'm on S3 at the moment, I must say I was sad to see Doctor Pulaski leave the series as I hate both of the Crushers and I thought she was a great addition to the crew, I thought Gates McFadden acting was pretty bad in S1 but I must say that I've found her to be much better in S3, maybe she brushed up on some acting lessons or maybe the writers gave her better material in S3?

Edit: Just noticed you guys where already talking about this above!

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
As a fan of TNG from the start, the first year was pretty rough and had a number of problems. Troi was a mistake and only became tolerable later in the series. Her touchy-feely remarks were pointless and often comical; her appearance seemed inappropriate on the command deck. (She always looked better late in the series when she wore a Star Fleet Uniform instead of the 'evening gown') Initially all the characters seemed bland, uniformly nice and noble. Worf with his aggressive, violent disposition stood out early on and was a welcome relief from all the niceness. I especially liked Pulaski and Ro (and Commander Shelby for her brief stint) when they appeared because while they were highly skilled professionals they had prickly personalities, created friction and spiced up character interactions.

Another mistake early on was the absence of threatening villains. In the first season, the Ferengi were the new enemy du jour and they were the most comical, least frightening villains imaginable. The Romulans were okay, but things really picked up when the Cardassians and especially the Borg were introduced.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Agreed. It's something I've always liked as well, and we can thank Capt. Jellico for that. :)

Incidentally, I agree about the aliens, too. But I think the Ferengi had more of an edge (relatively speaking) in the first season of TNG than they had later. I have no idea why, though.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Interesting reading guys thanks. TNG irked me then and it still irks me today. Too much political correctness, the female lead characters were not interesting - especially Troi, way too much TrekBabble talk and worst of all it made space exploration boring or seem like an office job.

Any interest I had in watching the show rested squarely in Patrick Stewart shoulders, as he undoubtedly was the best actor in a Star Trek series. Spiner and Dorn were interesting to a lessor degree but the rest of the cast held no interest and Frakes - as nice as he seem in real life - as Riker was a big dramatic blank spot through out the series.

Yesterday's Enterprise is a damn fine Star Trek and SF story. That and The Inner Light were awesome. And an appearance by John De Lancie as Q was always welcome.

Barclay was fun to watch too, even if it meant a bump in Troi's screen time.

I realize they wanted to distance themselves from obviously copying the dynamics of the original crew, especially on the bridge scenes, but the lack of a dedicated science officer on the bridge for an exploration vessel is something that never sat well with me and one which I feel was a bad decision and omission for the TNG series. They might as well have called a spade a spade and made Data the science officer anyway as he fulfilled that function far more than he ever did in his designated role as navigator.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Lou, i could be wrong, but i thought they did call Data the science officer? I might be dreaming that, however.
I hated how toward the end, they had a disregard for military command structure. I have never been in the service, but i know an ensign who is a helmsman, for instance, would take command of the ship before a MEDICAL DOCTOR, even if she out ranks the helmsman.
My favorite episode of the series, Yesterday's Enterprise. And my vote for worst...toss-up between MASKS, and the one where everyone de-evolves. Hated both. As a matter of fact i would sit through Spock's Brain or The Way to Eden for the rest of my life, before id watch either of those 1 more time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks