Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Mist Blu-ray announced for Sept 16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 23 2008 - 11:38 PM

The Mist Blu-ray Sept 16

Blu-News.com - News

I'm glad I didn't cave and buy the DVD
Death before Streaming!

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,221 posts

Posted June 24 2008 - 12:32 AM

Great news! This must mean, that the "Weinstein" is "back"?

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted June 24 2008 - 01:11 AM

Nice! I really hope the black and white version is included here
~Jason

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted June 24 2008 - 01:26 AM

Excellent......I've been wanting to watch this one. Maybe now that Weinstein is (supposedly) on the same page as the rest of the studios, perhaps "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair' is a possibility.
Recently watched- Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II, Snowpiercer

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Irina Asanova - "KGB have better cars, you know."
Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 24 2008 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
The Mist Blu-ray Sept 16

Blu-News.com - News

I'm glad I didn't cave and buy the DVD

I caved because the Two-Disc Collector's Edition contained the black-and-white version of the movie. Until I see that the forthcoming Blu-ray Disc includes both versions, I won't regret that choice. That said, I certainly hope it does, and I'll be buying this release regardless, as that is how much I enjoyed this film.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,866 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 24 2008 - 02:21 AM

Sold! I waited on this one too!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 25 2008 - 08:15 AM

Weinstein to Release First Theatrical Blu-ray with 'The Mist' | High-Def Digest

2-disc release with both color and black & white versions in HD. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted June 26 2008 - 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I caved because the Two-Disc Collector's Edition contained the black-and-white version of the movie. Until I see that the forthcoming Blu-ray Disc includes both versions, I won't regret that choice. That said, I certainly hope it does, and I'll be buying this release regardless, as that is how much I enjoyed this film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Weinstein to Release First Theatrical Blu-ray with 'The Mist' | High-Def Digest

2-disc release with both color and black & white versions in HD. Posted Image
Looks like you don't have to worry! Posted Image
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 26 2008 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
Looks like you don't have to worry! Posted Image

Yes, that is indeed excellent news! Murphy's Law dictates that the black-and-white version wouldn't have been included if I hadn't bought the Collector's Edition SD DVD though. Posted Image Oh, well, this film was that good, IMHO.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 26 2008 - 05:53 AM

What movies did Weinstein release on HD DVD? I know they put out Clerks II but what else did they release?

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,778 posts

Posted June 26 2008 - 06:00 AM

Weinstein HD-DVD releases:

Black Christmas (2006)
Harsh Times
Feast
Lucky Number Slevin
Pulse
The Matador
Scary Movie 4
Wolf Creek

Genius released

School for Scoundrels
Derailed

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 26 2008 - 06:07 AM

Thanks, Walter!

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 26 2008 - 06:30 AM

Good to see Weinstein finally getting back into the HD game... I just hope they release their Dragon Dynasty stuff this time around.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Jeff McMillan

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted June 26 2008 - 09:39 AM

Glad I held out. As a horror fan that is pretty jaded by most newer horror films, this one really stood out to me.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 06:02 PM

Sorry to vent, guys...
I don't mind dark endings or films but this was needless and pointless. I get that Darabont was going for the cynical "Night Of the Living Dead" ending, but that's not the way the original was. A cheap, manipulative way to wring emotion out of the audience that is neither telegraphed nor earned. A cop-out. Imagine if at the end of "The Shawshank Redemption" Morgan Freeman's character "Red" had been killed right before he meets up again with Tim Robbins's character? Would absolutely suck and pretty much negate the preceding 2 hours of movie, yes? Sure, it would have been HEAVY and SAD and TRAGIC but simply wrong for the film and story it was in. Well, as someone who has been a fan of the novella "The Mist" for years, I'm amazed that King let this kinda major story change fly. Maybe that van clipping him by the side of the road really did send him into the dark. A shame. Up until the ending I was absolutely loving it. I had heard that the ending was different but never imagined it would happen the way it did. As a recent new father, it pissed me off even more. Lazy, manipulative film-making 101. A cheap, tasteless ending for a good film and for a novella that deserved much better.

Thanks, Frank. From now on, I'll just re-read the story and not rewatch the film again. I'm GLAD the movie tanked at the box office. It deserved to IMHO...

On the plus side, the B+W version looked excellent.

Posted Image

(Sorry, one of my all time fave stories by King ruined IMHO and me being a new father really being bothered by the ending....)

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,805 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 24 2008 - 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
I'm GLAD the movie tanked at the box office. It deserved to IMHO...

Psst...Dave...it made $53 million worldwide on an $18 million budget. Even if advertising was 1/2 of the budget (making the total cost $27 million), the movie still made money. Posted Image

Source: Box Office Mojo

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,220 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 02:44 AM

Come on Dave, tell us how you really feel.

Having just watched this movie again last weekend, my opinion is the opposite of Dave's. I had no problem with it at all (granted, I'm not a father yet). I never read the novella either, but I believe that King went on record to say that he thinks Darabont's ending was, in his opinion, much better than his own. I just went on Wikipedia to check what the ending of the Novella was and I just don't think that would have worked for me in this film. Not only was the ending in the film appropiately brutal, but it gave a nice twist ending as well.
almost immediately after the "child" and the "whore" were sacrificed, the mist lifted
In a way also, the ending was telegraphed when Draydon told his son
I'm not going to let those monsters get you

You really can't compare this film with "Shawshank" either. Other than having characters stuck in a shitty situation, these are completely different stories with different themes. "The Mist" was a all out horror story while "Shawshank" had the theme of perseverence of the human spirit. You are correct that the ending you describe for Shawshank would have negated the two previous hours based on the theme of the story. I think a "happier" ending for "The Mist" would have done the same.

Quote:
I'm GLAD the movie tanked at the box office. It deserved to IMHO...
Frankly Dave, with all due respect, I'm surprised that you would say something like that. Spewing such venom on a film (that you admit you were really into) because you found the ending to be contrary to your tastes. I see similiar sentiments from time to time on this forum (for example in the AVP2 thread, there was a big bone of contention because
the predalien killed a pregnant woman
like you're now "allowed" to do that.) I feel sometimes sentiments like that are the reason that Hollywood does not like to take risks and present daring story choices. You're obviously perfectly free to express your opinion, of course, but I must say, you're above comment seems a bit unwarranted to me.

I think "The Mist" was the best horror film to come out of Hollywood since 2004's "Dawn of the Dead"
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 04:30 AM

REALLY well said, Will, and I agree with you in all regards.

The Mist is my favorite horror movie in a very long time and having watched the Blu-Ray this past weekend, I was quite pleaed with the a/v quality.

I think it's a msterpiece through and through. LOVED the ending, it's appropriate for the movie--at least for my money. Very painful and bothersome.

I love that a horror film was able to provoke that rection in me again ... it's been far too long.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,737 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 04:58 AM

Funny about King's comment about Darabont's ending being better than his own. I'm a huge King fan and find little to complain about, but one of my dear friends from college used to say "Man, King can create a 98% compelling narrative but he needs to learn how to end his stories better." Posted Image She'd be smiling now, I'm sure.

I haven't watched the film yet, and to be honest I don't remember the book all that well either, so I'm looking forward to screening this on Friday on BD and the re-reading the book (I have it somewhere) and posting my thoughts.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 11:32 AM

Gotcha Will,

and last nite I was pretty peeved. (also have been working 60-70 hour weeks for the last 6 weeks and am beat and was REALLY looking forward to finally watching this as because of our baby, we haven't been to the movies in forever)
It's also a story that I loved and reread many times over the years. I understand having a bit of a different ending but a completely opposite one?
Also when a fave story or book of yours is radically changed it can be very irritating, (hence the unusal venom from me late last nite)
For example, I saw Kubrick's The Shining when I was 12 having never read the book and loved it. I had a few friends (older) and relatives who had read the book first and HATED the film, I mean HATED it because of the change regarding Dick Hallorhan's fate. Later after reading the book, I saw their point even if I didn't have the same pissed reaction. With "The Mist", I did in regards to the fate of the people in the car.

Well, just IMHO, King made the wrong choice and should've kept the original ending or not one that was just so "Oooh, how IRONIC!"
Smacks of cheap manipulation and laziness IMHO.

JUST in my little opinion...

Posted Image.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow