-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mr.Thrifty's sound system- What do you think?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Zerock

Zerock

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 23 2008 - 09:17 AM

Hi.

I don't have the budget for new equipment for my HT, so everything I use is quite old:
*An Onkyo 5:1 DOM about 1995
*Yamaha amp probably mid 80's
*Another Yamaha amp 70's vintage.
*Koss floor speakers, 90's (Front L&R mains)
*JBL floor speakers 70's (Rear surrounds)
*Two home made 10" subs
*Home made front and rear center speakers
*Jamo front surround speakers (Fairly new)
*dbx Dynamic range expander, DOM probably mid 90's

All equipment is strong, perfect working order.

I used the Onkyo in the 5:1 standard configuration for about 6 months along with a Yamaha to drive the subs, and after using REW for placement it sounded pretty good.

But I made a "fake" 7:1 system last weekend, and now it all sounds fantastic. I was really suprised.

Here is what I did:
HOME_THEATER_SOUND_CONNECTIONS1 - HTF Gallery

I basically took the Onkyo's Surround Pre-out and fed into a Yamah amp. That Yamaha amp drives the two front surround speakers. To make the front surround image a bit different than the rear, I put the dynamic range expander in the circuit and added a lot of "punch" to it.

I still use one channel of the other Yamaha amp to drive the sub, but now I feed surround into the other channel and drive the rear surround speaker.

I realize my system can't compete with modern equipment but it really does sound fantastic, which was my goal. A great sounding budget system.

I was wondering if anybody else here uses similar "creative" connection schemes?

-Steve