Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Black Narcissus and other 6/23 ITV releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 22 2008 - 05:05 PM

First they were due on the 16th, then they got pushed back a week to the 23rd, Now Amazon UK is showing a price increase of £5 and no release date estimated other than 'currently unavailable'. I had just cancelled my order a couple days ago (at £14.99) but was having second thoughts.
Looks like it didn't after all. Even if it does make it out now, that price increase is going to put it out of my budget for a good while . $30 I would have swung- $40?... unh uh.
It's always something, ain't it.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Danny_N

Danny_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
First they were due on the 16th, then they got pushed back a week to the 23rd, Now Amazon UK is showing a price increase of £5 and no release date estimated other than 'currently unavailable'. I had just cancelled my order a couple days ago (at £14.99) but was having second thoughts.
Looks like it didn't after all. Even if it does make it out now, that price increase is going to put it out of my budget for a good while . $30 I would have swung- $40?... unh uh.
It's always something, ain't it.

The ITV releases seem to have been pushed out until July 7, at least I got an e-mail from Amazon UK with a delivery date of July 8 - 16 for my order. Hope they really show up then.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 03:57 AM

They might be delayed, but the Black Narcissus disc is done! Here's the review at DVD Times...

DVD Times - Black Narcissus

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
In the UK the batch of ITV releases due on Jun 23 has actually shipped to bricks-and-mortar stores but online stores are experiencing delays. This batch is well worth noting as it contains some classic blu-ray releases exclusive to the UK, including: "The Boys from Brazil", Bugsy Malone", "Escape to Athena", " Black Narcissus", Great Expectations" and "Strictly Ballroom".
Hi-Def Release Lists - Home Page
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Page

Page

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 09:19 PM

Many months ago, I preordered "Black Narcissus" and "Great Expectations" on Blu-ray from Amazon UK. Yesterday, I received an e-mail that they were having a problem finding copies of them to fill my order and wanted to know if I wanted to cancel my order. I kept the order open and today I received an e-mail that they had both been shipped to me.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Page

Page

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 06:03 PM

Received "Black Narcissus" and "Great Expectations" in the mail today from Amazon.uk. I took a quick look at both and they both looked very good, so I'm glad I traded up to the Blu-ray versions. The lack of extras is the only downside so far.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 03:28 AM

Comparisons between the BD versions and the DVD versions:

The Boys From Brazil - Gregory Peck Olivier
Black Narcissus - Jean Simmons

Shame that US players won't be able to play the extras, but for me BFB could be enough to buy just for the film.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 10:26 AM

The title of this thread should be changed.
Thanks to the great Beaver for the comparison (^^^).
This release puts the simularly priced CC to shame (PQ-wise).
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 05:03 PM

My copy of BN, along with the Seventh Seal, is on it's way- shipped out Monday.
It won't be hard to better the R1 Criterions of either of these as they both exhibited quite a lot of shimmer/twitter/aliasing. The extras will be missed, but the digital reproduction of the images left much to be desired.
I will be curious to see how distracting the color breathing is on BN, which is mentioned in the DVDTimes review.
And yes, the title should be changed.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 04 2008 - 02:11 AM

I'm really tempted to replace my Criterion Black Narcissus but with the extras in PAL and unplayable to me I'll have to think about it some.

This is just one reason why importing generally sucks.
Death before Streaming!

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Page

Page

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 04 2008 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
I'm really tempted to replace my Criterion Black Narcissus but with the extras in PAL and unplayable to me I'll have to think about it some.

This is just one reason why importing generally sucks.

Well, if space isn't a problem you can always keep both copies of the movie. (That's what I'm going to do.)

The only extras on the UK Blu-ray version are a short (24 minute) doc called "A Profile of Black Narcissus" and a trailer. They DO play on my U.S. Panasonic Blu-ray player and are "jerky," but not so much as being unwatchable--especially for the one time I sat through them--which is probably the only time I'll watch them.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 04 2008 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page
Well, if space isn't a problem you can always keep both copies of the movie. (That's what I'm going to do.)

The only extras on the UK Blu-ray version are a short (24 minute) doc called "A Profile of Black Narcissus" and a trailer. They DO play on my U.S. Panasonic Blu-ray player and are "jerky," but not so much as being unwatchable--especially for the one time I sat through them--which is probably the only time I'll watch them.
Yup, same with me, really enjoyed the HD presentation of this great film. Next up is "The Seventh Seal".

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 04 2008 - 12:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah space is one issue, since I'm upgrading more and more of my DVD collection to BD. Too many times I've had to hang on to my DVD copy for bonus features. In theory if I had to do this every time I'd end up doubling my collection.

Another issue is that I can't sell off the DVD which lessens the sting of rebuying the same films all over again.

The last issue is the high cost of importing which I'd imagine based on past experience would cost me in the range of around $40 with shipping. Way too much for what's essentially a bare-bones disc compared to the Criterion.

Such is life.
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 04 2008 - 12:30 PM

I bought five UK BRDs for little over $25 a piece which is more expensive than their Region A counterparts, but only one of them was already released in this region.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 05 2008 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I bought five UK BRDs for little over $25 a piece which is more expensive than their Region A counterparts, but only one of them was already released in this region.
What was the retail price of those five releases?
(where they all "$40US" titles like "BN"?)
Are you including shipping?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 06 2008 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Where did you purchase these from?
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 10 2008 - 12:00 AM

The bill for Seal, Narcissus, and a 50s Noir called Tread Softly Stranger (which was great BTW) came to $80 with shipping. For the two Bds alone, it probably would have been about $65-70 w/ shipping.As expected both trounce the sd Criterions. However the color fluctuations (breathing?) on Narcissus are a bit distracting, and I would say the Criterion translation on Seal was more vividly expressive than the mostly plain, matter of fact one on the Tartan bd.
I don't regret selling off the Criterions for these, but at the same time I can already envision dumping these for better releases down the line too.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow